I have a stupid question... | Golden Skate

I have a stupid question...

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Please hold the throwing of the garbage to the stage, but here goes...

I see the voting booth has several "favorite program of..." and you vote. Then you go in and there are all these titles for programs that skaters have skated to. I watch skating, and I am fanatical about being in front of the tube when it is aired (we call it skate drama at my house), but I must somehow be missing something when I watch. I don't think that I hear Peggy or Dick actually calling the programs by name. Am I missing something, or are they saying the name of the programs. I get the short and long program part, but as far as titles or special names, I don't hear them. Guidance anyone? Snort and chuckle all you want, but please enlighten me. :eek:

I think the name of the program is usually just the name of the music that they are skating to. I think Dick and Peggy usually do announce it at the beginning, and they sometimes comment on the music by name.

Michelle's Taj Mahal :love: was an exception, IIRC.

http://www.azer.com/aiweb/categories/magazine/44_folder/44_articles/44_michellekwan.html

In the case of a medley, like Rudi Galindo's Village People routine, it seems like they usually just refer to it by the name of one of the songs (YMCA).

What was Michael Weiss' patriotic medley, featuring Johnny Comes Marching Home, called?

Mathman

Last edited:

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Patriotic medley. :laugh: Evgeni's SP to the a Michael Jackson medley (his Olympic SP) is known among fans as the MJ program. St. Petersburg 300 was his dedication to the city's 300th birthday and featured music composed especially for him, ditto with this year's Tribute to Nijinsky.

But, yeah, most of the time, it's just the name of the music.

Laura :)

Vash01

Medalist
Glacierskater,

Don't feel bad. Quite often the networks don't announce the music. At other times they may even go into details of it. Having watched the same program a few times usually I find out the title of the music (that is, if I did not already know it). Usually the music title (or a shortened version of it) is the title of the program. Sometimes skaters choose to give it a title. For example, G&G's Vocalise (music title) was also referred to as the 'Rodin' program at times. That is rare, however. B&S's SP to Russian folk music is known as 'Meadowland'- translation of the Russian title of the music. Those are exceptions, however.

I wish that the networks would always show the music information- what music/composer/movement.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
What I've noticed ABC has been doing the last couple of seasons (which I think is wonderful) is listing the musical selection on the bottom of the screen when the skater takes the ice, along with the name, country, age, and current standing in the competition.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
What I've noticed ABC has been doing the last couple of seasons (which I think is wonderful) is listing the musical selection on the bottom of the screen when the skater takes the ice, along with the name, country, age, and current standing in the competition.

That would be valuable info to have.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Glacierskater:

Not a "stupid question." Here in Canada, the name of the music is shown under the skaters' name before they start their program. If one does not catch it right away or does not recognize the music then "you snooze you loose" as it were, unless Debbi or Tracy or Rod (our commentators) mention what the music is. Anyway, the music is what the reference point is for the program as a rule. However, there are exceptions - like Kurt's Casablanca program - named for the movie (the music used in Kurt's program was from the movie of course) but the program is called Casablanca. So it just depends.

Antilles

Medalist
I think they have to list the names of the songs now, don't they? I thought it was part of the copyright laws for using the music.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I think most programs are just called by the name of the music, but there are a few that are called something different, several of which have been mentioned here all ready. I think it depends mainly on the program. A skater who uses different cuts of music from one movie or musical is not going to have just one name for their routine. It will be the West Side Story, Independence Day, or Rachmaninoff program. Most programs do have one selection of music for their programs though and that does make it easier on the fans. I've also noticed ABC/ESPN putting the name of the music in that little box at the bottom of the screen along with the skater's name and such before they start skating. Its good to know IMO. :D

And I am so tired today that I've no idea if this post even makes sense. Just ignore it if it doesn't make sense, I won't mind! LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sk8m8

Final Flight
...and doesn't somebody think it's a good idea as the skater is "stroking around" in preperation that they run a chiron (a superimposed title that you see on almost everything sports) that shows the skater's "stats" for the program, like name, age, program name/music, previous results, coach/choregrapher, etc :confused:

lulu

Final Flight
I also think it would be nice if they mentioned the name of the choreographer. Sometimes mention the name of the choreographer if he or she is very well known or a former elite skater. But, since choreography is so important in skating-at least IMHO it is :laugh: they should name the choreographer along w/ the coach.

Matt

On the Ice
lulu said:
I also think it would be nice if they mentioned the name of the choreographer. Sometimes mention the name of the choreographer if he or she is very well known or a former elite skater. But, since choreography is so important in skating-at least IMHO it is :laugh: they should name the choreographer along w/ the coach.

Every once and a while, I'll hear Dick or Peggy (usually Peggy) throw out the choreographer's name if the programme seems particularly noteworthy. With so many skaters seeking out particular choreographers, it's getting so you can almost tell by watching it who the choreographer is (Morozov, for example)

It would be a nice touch to list coach/choreographer in the stats at the beginning of the programme. Often, the only way I ever figure out is from the ISU (which lists coach/choreographer/music in the skater's bio) or from articles/posts on GoldenSkate :D

BTW, ESPN doesn't list the music underneath the skater's name, at least not that I've seen. I know ABC does. It would make my life easier if ESPN has started doing that recently