Ice Dance - SD comparison: "Midnight Blues" | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - SD comparison: "Midnight Blues"

sowcow

On the Ice

Ice Dance | Short Dance (SD): "Midnight Blues" | Top teams compared

★★ An 'early season' comparison video of the top Ice Dance teams. ★★

The video focuses on two (2) of the key elements of the short dance:

► Pattern Dance Element (PDE)
  • For 2016/17, the PDE is the "Midnight Blues" (steps #5-14)
    • music type: Blues 4/4
    • music tempo: 22 measures of 4 beats per minute – 88 beats per minute
► Partial Step Sequence (PSt)
  • The PSt must start immediately after step #14 of the PDE, and finish at about the same point as the original step #5.

Both of these elements allow for direct comparisons between couples, as all teams must do the identical PDE element (the '1st-half' of a full rink dance pattern) followed immediately by an original PSt that comprises the '2nd-half' of the dance pattern. Although the PSt will be different for each team, nevertheless all steps and holds must keep to the same music tempo & beat; and couples must maintain the 'blues' character of the dance, while at the same time demonstrating creativity & originality in order to set themselves apart from their competitors!

The video shows competition clips (each about ~1 minute in duration) from early-season International 'B' competitions as performed by many of the best Senior Ice Dance teams in the world. By showing just the PDE and PSt for each team, one right after the other, it allows for much easier comparisons to be made!!

Keep in mind, for most (if not all) of the teams, this was likely the first time they had competed with their new 2016/17 programs:

1. Olivia SMART & Adria DIAZ | ESP | Autumn Classic International 2016
  2. Anna CAPPELLINI & Luca LANOTTE | ITA | Nebelhorn Trophy 2016
  3. Alexandra STEPANOVA & Ivan BUKIN | RUS | Finlandia Trophy 2016
  4. Kaitlin HAWAYEK & Jean-Luc BAKER | USA | Autumn Classic International 2016
  5. Piper GILLES & Paul POIRIER | CAN | Nebelhorn Trophy 2016
  6. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR | CAN | Autumn Classic International 2016
  7. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES | USA | Nebelhorn Trophy 2016
  8. Gabriella PAPADAKIS & Guillaume CIZERON | FRA | Masters Villard de Lans 2016

N.B. This video was made on October 8, 2016 — before any Grand Prix events — from video clips of short dance performances at some of the pre-season international 'B' competitions. Several of the top ice dance teams were NOT included simply because they had not yet competed (or because I could not locate any video of them competing with their new 2016/17 short dance program).

olayolay

On the Ice
I don't know who has the best blues pattern, but Stepanova/Bukin definitely have the worst.

nocturnalis

Medalist
Thank you very much for your work! I've also noticed your avatar, and it is... interesting. Very literal!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
That's cool video! :2thumbs: Will you be doing something smiliar after GP series (when all top teams will perform and we'll get good quality videos hopefully), sowcow ? :)

sarama

Medalist
In my opinion (and I'm no expert) the men are almost all pretty decent, what differentiate these teams technically is basically the female partner and Tessa really stands out among these ladies.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Hubbell & Donahue had a 4 on their blues pattern at the U.S. Classic--where 4's were not so easy to come by. I like H&D and Bobrova & Soloviev's blues style the best thus far. (Their hip hop/swing sections, OTOH, not so much).

sowcow

On the Ice
That's cool video! :2thumbs: Will you be doing something smiliar after GP series (when all top teams will perform and we'll get good quality videos hopefully), sowcow ? :)

Yes, I was thinking of doing just that!
Hopefully it'll help make it easier to directly compare the top teams (...especially when we get closer to the date of the WC)!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Thanks for your hard work sowcow! May we offer you videos?

sowcow

On the Ice
Thanks for your hard work sowcow! May we offer you videos?

You're welcome! But what do you mean by "offer" me videos??

(...of course, you can always "udder" my SowCow videos! Mooooo! :laugh2:)

Last edited:

euroskate

Final Flight
this is really cool. and also i admire These dancers for giving the same steps this personal thouch Fitting to the Music. for me virtue moir by far the best second cock bates