Three Impossible Wishes | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Three Impossible Wishes

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I like that especially your wish for Hawayek and Baker! Realistically, I'm betting them to place in 3rd at Nationals, so they can be allowed to compete both at 4CC and Worlds.

Agreed, lol! But we can still hope for the impossible, yes?:)

Daniel1998

Final Flight
1. South Koreans sweep the Junior Singles World Championship.
2. Canadians qualify three women for Pyeongchang and 2018 Worlds.
3. Adian Pitkeev has a miraculous comeback, podiums at Nationals, and qualifies for Europeans and Worlds. :sad21:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yuck, this would be a hideous rule which would blatantly favour certain "arteests" who don't have the jumps and unfairly punish those who are better in that regard.

But you could argue the opposite as well: the current system favors skaters who have jumping ability far more than it does skater with that "arteestic" ability.

Case in point: Jason Brown.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But you could argue the opposite as well: the current system favors skaters who have jumping ability far more than it does skater with that "arteestic" ability.

actually, the system right now, favours one type of skater... the multi quad skater... you got to at least have two types... forget Jason Brown... even Patrick is no longer a threat.. well until the 4S comes steady. You need two different quads to be in the top 3-4 after the SP... you need 2 different quads to get a decent TES.

However, unfortunately, you don't need to land them cleanly or with positive GOE.. just rotate them ;)

So here is an extra wish from me....
and it's going to be harsh.

EVERY FALL means that the jump gets 0.
no more planned falls or risky attempts... we want to see challenging but clean programs ;)

Okay maybe i don't really wish this...but if you fall off the balance beam, you clearly won't win a medal. so why can a skater fall 2-3 times and still win?

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Disagree. Jason is a case that shows you can get high TES as long as you execute well, as well as PCS. Remember, he finished 4th at Worlds sans quad and now his progress is steadily taking him to the quad ranks.

kelleigh

On the Ice
1. Kostner gets on World podium.
2. All skaters are free from injury.
3. Give me just three more wishes. (Not going to be greedy)
Bonus 1. Fans finally face the fact that figure skating is more a sport instead of serving as an entertaining show. And the fact that one's fav can't do something doesn't mean the existing of those 'something' are wrong.
Bonus 2. Popularity of figure skating revives / explodes around the world.
Bonus 3. Great organization for PyeongChang2018 and I get a ticket in the first row. The impossible part is actually the latter one.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Bonus 1. Fans finally face the fact that figure skating is more a sport instead of serving as an entertaining show. And the fact that one's fav can't do something doesn't mean the existing of those 'something' are wrong.

YES, thank you for saying that!

Everytime:

Evgenia Medvedeva wins and the marks goes up to reward her consistency -> "It's time to ditch this system and go back to the 6.0, and no more tanoo!!!"

Nathan Chen beats Patrick Chan with his quads -> "the ISU should set a limit for quads"

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My final wish as well

That fans who value spins, choreo, steps and expression as much as if not more so than [ETA: jumps, not spins :eek::] are *never ever ever* confronted again with that tired old wheeze: But it's a sport! It's not an exhibition! It's not a show.

Puh-leeze. I first started watching figure skating in 71 (at least I think it was 71, maybe 70?). I know the difference. And just because I value skaters with spins, choreo, steps and expression and (perhaps) less revolutions in their jumps doesn't mean I don't know it's a sport. Can someone please block that balderdash?

Thank you.:biggrin:

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Disagree. Jason is a case that shows you can get high TES as long as you execute well, as well as PCS. Remember, he finished 4th at Worlds sans quad and now his progress is steadily taking him to the quad ranks.

It might actually be a good separate topic for discussion, particularly in the off season. Especially if some of our number crunchers join in. To wit: has the COP been set up to give a numerical advantage to jumps over any other aspect of the sport?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It might actually be a good separate topic for discussion, particularly in the off season. Especially if some of our number crunchers join in. To wit: has the COP been set up to give a numerical advantage to jumps over any other aspect of the sport?

I don't think it has. You only have to look at some of the junk results we've had thanks to PCS. Chan winning Skate Canada by falling on his backside four times springs to mind, as does the US Nationals result this year.

kelleigh

On the Ice
While seniority as an audience or age doesn't make me feel better or worse, I do count at least the spins and skating skills and as part of the sports elements. Especially when spins are scored in TES category. There should be a balance between different elements, but this depends on ability to different skaters. A few skaters proved that there can be a balance. And that comes to what I mean a skater can't do something doesn't mean the existing of those 'something' are wrong. A few skaters are not good at 3A, it's indeed not much easier than a 4T, so should 3A be banned? Some spins are quite bad to back, shoulder and hip, should those be banned? And some fans are even now suggesting 'unnecessary' transitions are jammed in programs and should not be awarded. What is 'too many' transitions? Who decides that?

I respect and appreciate much to artistry. Choreogrphy, Expression, Posture and many more. However, even though it should not be as extreme as soccer or basketball, still, figure skating as a sport, in competition it needs to justify the result as objective as it can. Subjective elements like expression and interpretation in a sport competition are really difficult to be weighted as much as objective elements since the scores like music interpretation and choreo can't be leveled up in a definite proportion in terms of 'difficulty'.

Agree to disagree, I know this is an argument that will probably never come to a conclusion. And this is why I raised this as my impossible wish :cool:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
...but if you fall off the balance beam, you clearly won't win a medal.

Unfortunately these days you can. I far preferred gymnastics when you could not, but the modern scoring system has changed that. Simone Biles won bronze on the balance beam after falling off.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
1. Mirai wins U.S.Champ
2. Shoma Uno wins Worlds
3. Eun Soo Lim wins Jr. Worlds

:love: :dev2:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
sure.. that was exceptional.. but do not forget that the gold medal winner presented a clean, exceptional and artistic style on the beam. It was a beauty and it was flawless and rewarded for that.

Unfortunately these days you can. I far preferred gymnastics when you could not, but the modern scoring system has changed that. Simone Biles won bronze on the balance beam after falling off.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States

The deduction for falling on the beam is less than the deduction for completely falling off the beam. I guess it's debatable that the deduction should be the same, but almost all of the gymnasts who placed behind Simone also didn't really earn a spot on the podium. Some of them had much less difficulty than Simone because they didn't hit their connections. Others had enough balance checks that it basically added up to a fall. Simone basically just had that one major error, and it actually did cost her 0.9 from the score she got in qualifications.

Weathergal

Medalist
But getting back on topic (ahem!):
Nice idea for a thread.

My three impossible wishes:
1) Figure skating dramatically rises in popularity all around the world, and pro competitions spring up everywhere.
2) Julia Lipnitskaia wins World gold this year and becomes favorite for Olympic gold--what can I say? Sometimes it's nice to see a little redemption.
3) Yuko Kavaguti/Alexander Smirnov win an Olympics medal - talk about redemption!

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
My other 3 impossible wishes:

1. Mariah Bell wins 2017 nationals
2. Misha Ge gets into top 4 at worlds.
3. Mao asada has a turnaround and medals at worlds.

These seem impossible right now, but I can't help but dream. I mean, right now, it's impossible even to predict the 6 skaters going to the GPF.

liv

Record Breaker
Hmmm

1. Skaters get rewarded in each particular pcs area that they deserve. Like in presentation if they skate lights out, that particular aspect should receive great marks, even if they may not have the best transitions etc.. My example, Misha Ge at SC should have gotten huge scores for that part. Not all pcs should automatically be in the same range.

2. Tarasova/morozov get great choreography, put in a clean quad twist, and reach their potential.

3. All top men skate cleanly at Worlds and Olympics...make it really memorable!!!

ssffww

On the Ice
1. Anna Pogo supplants Evgenia as Russian and World #1 - fans watch on while Anna Tsareva stays stone-faced in the Kiss & Cry.
2. A US man - any US man - makes the Worlds podium.
3. All the hip-hop short dances lose their cheese overnight and become super hip and cool and authentic.

Bonus impossible wish #4: No more forum drama, people being mean or unreasonable or whining and making things up in support of their faves.

Yes to all!!

cocotaffy

Final Flight
- Helsinki ice dance podium : P/C, H/D, B/S
- No more concussions
- Jason Brown Carolina Costner and Satoko Miyahara win a world medal