Thread: Skate Detroit, July 21-24

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Skate Detroit, July 21-24

Detroit Skating Club website (with link to competition schedule): http://www.dscclub.com/

List of registered skaters can be viewed by event or club at:
    http://www.sk8stuff.com/utility/list...il.asp?id=2170

Hope some of you can make it!

--Sylvia

I had trouble getting the link for Registered Skaters.

Thanks for the reminder, Sylvia.

Joe, to see the list of skaters I think you have to go club by club. Use the drop-down menu where it says "Sked by Club."

Wow, this is a huge event. There seem to be a hundred skaters or more, in skill-level groups.

You can also pre-order a video of your favorite skater.

Mathman

Custom Title
    For a list of skaters in each level by group, click on the link for each day in "Daily Schedules Wed Thu Fri Sat" at http://www.sk8stuff.com/utility/list...il.asp?id=2170

Note: This is the list of registered skaters -- there are usually always scratches due to injury or other reasons. For example, I know that among the senior ladies, Erica Archambault (2003 junior champ) has withdrawn due to injury and Alex Patterson is returning from an injury and may only compete in the short program.

Senior men looks to be an exciting event, with Ryan Jahnke, Jordan Brauninger, Rohene Ward, Parker Pennington plus Fedor Andreev and Chris Mabee from Canada!

--Sylvia

This has to be the most convoluted web page for figure skating' All I am looking for is the senior men and ladies entries and I haven't got a clue which club they come from.

Sylvia whereever you got that list of men and could list some of the ladies?

Predictions

Although I am against predicting without any reason, I will predict Jordan Brauniger because he did so well in Jrs. last year. Maybe he will be the 2010
    Oly Champ.

If Kimmie Meissner is listed I will also predict her because I've seen her skate last year and the news of her 8 triples is impressive. She will definitely be the one we speak a lot of at the end of Nats.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    This has to be the most convoluted web page for figure skating' All I am looking for is the senior men and ladies entries and I haven't got a clue which club they come from.
    It's not THAT hard to find. Go to

http://www.sk8stuff.com/utility/list...il.asp?id=2170

and click on the "daily schedules" links. Then if you click on the link for each event, you'll see the list of skaters in that event.

Medalist

What do you mean abt T & M?

To "...dragon" and "...thing called love"---

Hey guys--what about T&M and how they would/would not put the judges to sleep? What do you mean? For instance, no offense to anyone who thinks otherwise, but Scott and Dulebohn put me to sleep. I'd have rather watched others who had more "fire" and "connection" splat all over the place than watch them skate "clean", which they never did anyway. So, compared to them as a benchmark for me, what do you mean that T & M would put me to sleep....or conversely, what did the judges see?

Custom Title
    I can understand why some people think T/M aren't exciting. They are almost entirely devoid of expression when they skate--like androids or robots. Everything they do is technically excellent, but there is something missing, and that is affect. It doesn't seem to matter what the music is.

I never could understand how they could skate to "West Side Story" and look so blank-faced. But they were also blank-faced for "Cotton Club" which was probably the worst program they ever did. They never 'get into' their music but are completely apart from it. They don't 'sell' their program, and that's why Shen/Zhao get much higher Skating Components marks than T/M.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    I lurrrvs Cotton Club. The choreography is so complex and orginal. Sometimes body language works better than facial pretense

Quote Originally Posted by shine
    I lurrrvs Cotton Club. The choreography is so complex and orginal. Sometimes body language works better than facial pretense
    I think Cotton Club is their best programme; I like it a lot.

It's not cheesy emoting, it's a grown-up, mature, sophisticated programme.
    SO there.

k.

Custom Title
    Facial pretence

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe
    I .

I never could understand how they could skate to "West Side Story" and look so blank-faced. But they were also blank-faced for "Cotton Club" which was probably the worst program they ever did. They never 'get into' their music but are completely apart from it. They don't 'sell' their program, and that's why Shen/Zhao get much higher Skating Components marks than T/M.

I agree that sometimes T&M don't "get into" their music as much as they should. But what does "selling" the program have to do with Skating Components? I thought Skating Components were the in-betweens etc?

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Quote Originally Posted by pipsqueak
    To "...dragon" and "...thing called love"---

Hey guys--what about T&M and how they would/would not put the judges to sleep? What do you mean? For instance, no offense to anyone who thinks otherwise, but Scott and Dulebohn put me to sleep. I'd have rather watched others who had more "fire" and "connection" splat all over the place than watch them skate "clean", which they never did anyway. So, compared to them as a benchmark for me, what do you mean that T & M would put me to sleep....or conversely, what did the judges see?
    my only memory of her is watching her during the 2001 skate america pairs lp, and how she had NO EMOTION during the lifts, and during the fast part, when people should be getting into it, the audience really didn't because they didn't seem to be into their performance. i guess it's like making love...and having a one night stand...