How to Qualify for Olympic Team Event? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

How to Qualify for Olympic Team Event?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
If Duskova/Bidar will go this season to Senior Worlds, my bet is on Czech Republic. Their weakest link is Ladies, but they're good otherwise.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
While it would be nice to see Australia in the team event it will be at the cost of another country. In the end the odds of any such team moving on would be very slim. Still the main teams will be Russia, USA, Canada maybe China and Japan, Italy, France- don't hold your breath:)

Daniel1998

Final Flight
What are Korea's odds? They're fine for men and ladies but I'm not sure they've got the pairs and dance teams to be able to get there?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Kim and Kam... young pair. I liked them at ACI . Promising. No idea about other pair teams nor ice dance
What are Korea's odds? They're fine for men and ladies but I'm not sure they've got the pairs and dance teams to be able to get there?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is good to have goals and The Reeds have been at this quite a while so who knows a top ten in dance not impossible but probably unlikely even with a new partner. Why? You have 3 Americans, 3 Canadians, two Russians, the Italians and French ahead of them this assumes they can beat the Koreans, the second French and Second italians as well as the Spanish teams not to mention the Danes and Germans and Coomes and Buckland.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I'm following the Team Event Qualification and keeping tabs with the scores.

As we know about the team event qualification- they select the highest qualification of each nation in each of the 4 disciplines earned at then highest levelled competition. This means that.
I.e. Worlds Score TRUMPS Euros/4CC TRUMP Jnr Worlds
I.e. Senior Grand Prix Series/Final TRUMPS Jnr Grand Prix [Final Not included]

We also know that scoring happens in two stages- first stage at the 2016/7 ISU Championships, and second Stage the 2017/8 Snr./Jnr/ Grand Prix Series and Snr. Final.
(for ease, I'll refer to 2016/7 ISU championships as Stage 1, and 2017/8 Grand Prix and Stage 2)

Meaning that a country will earn two sets of qualification points per discipline- making a total of 8 sets of qualification points per country.

(N.B many of these points will be replaced after worlds, as the qualification points at worlds are taken first- if a skater/couple cannot earn points at worlds, they go by the points earned at euros/4cc- if a skater/couple cannot earn points at worlds, euros or 4CC, they go by points earned at jnr. Worlds.)

At the moment, after Euros/4CC, the current top 20 nations are:
1. Russia 3116
2. Canada 2964
3. United States 2772
4. France 2433
=5. China & Japan 2283
7. Italy 2169
8. Germany 1620
9. South Korea 1390
10. Israel. 1336
14. Czech Republic 823
15. Great Britain 719
16. Ukraine 678
17. Slovakia 669
18. Latvia 655
19. Finland 532
20. Sweden 530- in TWO Disciplines- there is a minimum of 3 Disciplines

Last edited:

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
Also need to point out, no country is technically eliminated on that list until after the Nebelhorn trophy next fall. In order to qualify, you have to either get spots (24 for singles, 16 for pairs, 19 for dance) at the world championships (until the quotas run out), or at Nebelhorn (6 for singles, 4 for pairs, 5 for dance), and you must obtain at least 2 spots at those two events, since you are awarded one additional spot if you qualify for the team event without a full team. Realistically, there is probably a list of several countries fighting for the last few spots.

But the worlds championships are very important, as they help determine grand prix assignments (by world ranking), etc...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Looks like Israel and South Korea are going strong! But a couple of other countries still have chances (Michal, I'm looking at you)

GF2445

Record Breaker
Also need to point out, no country is technically eliminated on that list until after the Nebelhorn trophy next fall. In order to qualify, you have to either get spots (24 for singles, 16 for pairs, 19 for dance) at the world championships (until the quotas run out), or at Nebelhorn (6 for singles, 4 for pairs, 5 for dance), and you must obtain at least 2 spots at those two events, since you are awarded one additional spot if you qualify for the team event without a full team. Realistically, there is probably a list of several countries fighting for the last few spots.

But the worlds championships are very important, as they help determine grand prix assignments (by world ranking), etc...

Actually the document that i have with me has 49 nations on it, as there are 49 nations that have been/will be represented at Euros 4CC Worlds and Jnr Worlds.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I'm trying to figure out minimum placement - so where Brendan, Kailani/Brooklee, Katia and Harley et al need to finish at Worlds. This is very confusing because it depends on the number of spots that the other countries have? Beyond confused now.

I have a feeling Karne that we might be in a sort of good position to make the team event.
At this moment in time, I think 9/10 spots for the team event are secured.
I mean Russia, Canada, United States, France, China, Japan, Italy, Germany and South Korea are locks. They have enough strength across the disciplines.

The question comes to the 10th spot.
ATM. I think contenders for the last spot are between Israel, Spain, Australia, and Czech Republic because there each of these nations participate in all disciplines with mostly a high level of quality and can make a team with either 4 direct entries or 3 stronger entries + additional quota. Belgium, UK and Ukraine are also in the mix, but they are lacking experience, solid results in disciplines and/or they are not competing in enough disciplines at the moment. Lets go through each of 4 nations I think are in the mix.

Israel's strength comes with it's men's and Ice Dance (Tobias/Tkachenko). I expect them to successfully secure Olympics spots at worlds. I also expect them to make strong appearances in the Grand Prix. Their weakness comes with the women's (there will be no representative at worlds, and likely no senior grand prix appearance) and pairs (they had a 16th place finish at Euros with a SP 47.92+FS 85.40=133.32. With the scores we have seen this season, that won't make the top 16 at a worlds SP). It is likely that they will have to rely having at least the women or pair qualify an Olympic spot at Nebelhorn to earn those spots+ strong results from Bychenko/Samohin, and Tobias/Tkachenko to earn an Olympic Team Event Birth with 3 Direct Entries + 1 Additional Quota.

UPDATE:
Following 2017, they have qualified spots in Mens and Ice Dance.
Apparently their Pair team split up following Europeans. If they cannot qualify a women's [which is unlikely] or Pairs spot [unlikely, but anything is possible] at Nebelhorn, they will not be eligible to qualify for the Team Event.

Spain's strength, like Israel, rests on the performance of Javier in the men's- who can earn large qualification points, and one of their three damce teams. Like Israel, I expect Spain to earn Olympic Spots in Men's and Dance. Their weakness is will not have a women or pair at worlds, and will have to rely on their junior skaters to earn qualification points in this first stage of the "Team Event Qualification" as Spain earned no qualification points at Euros. Spain do have women's skaters and a junior pairs team, however, they have struggled competing internationally. Like Israel, they will likely have to rely on having at least the women or pair qualify a spot at Nebelhorn + strong Grand Prix results for Javi and Hurtado/Khalivin or Smart/Diaz to earn an Olympic Team Event Birth with 3 Direct Entries + 1 Additional Quota.

Update: Following 2017 Worlds, Spain has earned Olympic Spots in Men's and Ice Dance. As Spain is significantly weaker in women's and pairs, it is unlikely that they will be eligible for the Team Event. Their best hope is for Lafuente or Matos to qualify a spot at Nebelhorn, and rely on the strength of Javier to carry them through.

The Czech Republic is likely to be the strongest contenders to take the final spot. If all goes to plan Brezina (for the mens), and their new pair of Martin/Bidar will surely qualify for the Olympics at worlds, as well as earn spots on the Grand Prix and qualification points. Additionally, despite not having the highest results, their women's and ice dance couples are able to earn respectable results and a respectable amount of qualification points- they also can be seen as being contenders in receiving those final Olympic Quota spots at Nebelhorn. Currently, they are a little behind on points after Euros but a solid showing at worlds could put them in good stead. If there are any weaknesses, it is an inconsistent Brezina, who bombs and does not earn enough qualifying results at worlds- his 12th place finish at Euros, as well as inconsistent results this, does not instil confidence. If they make the team event, they will either enter a team with 4 direct entries or 3 entries with the additional quota.

UPDATE: Following 2017 Worlds, the Czech Republic have earned spots in the Men's event. It is likely that their pair team of Duskova/Bidar will attain a qualification spot at Nebelhorn, and their lady and dance team will also be out on the hunt for an Olympic birth. For them, it all comes down to receiving olympic spots in two more disciplines. On the Grand Prix, Michal needs to have stronger finishes, and will probably need to rely on receiving a Grand Prix Spot in the Dance.

Then we come to Australia. Now if Australia want to make the team event, it is critical that they produce solid results at 2017 Worlds. It will mean each one of our skaters making their own personal goals- a top 15 finish and an Olympic Spot for Brendan, a top 17 finish and an Olympic Spot for Kailani, and a top 15 result and a possible Olympic birth for Ekaterina and Harley. At this point, our qualification points for Ice dance at 2016-17 ISU Championships (i.e. Stage 1) is set on 214- earned by Adele and Demid for their 14th place finish at 4CC. Now, if they get their solid results and earn spots, this gives them a chance to earn all important Grand Prix assignments. I expect Brendan, as well as Ekaterina/Harley to have at least one senior assignment, and I think Kailani can still aim to find a spot. I also expect them to earn qualification points during the Grand Prix with the results they have been getting. Now you might be wondering- but what about ice dance? We don't have much strength in Ice Dance. We are not likely to earn an Olympic spot this time, nor have any Senior Grand Prix Assignments! Well, that's when next year's JGP Brisbane comes in handy. Qualification points are up for grabs if a skater/couple have a top 10 finish at a Junior Grand Prix (and they count if a country doesn't earn any qualification points in a senior Grand Prix next season). Last time there was a JGP in Australia, due the isolated location of our nation, only 9 couples competed in the Dance event. Now, it doesn't necessarily mean that there will be less dance couples competing in Brisbane this coming August, but the point is that we can send 3 junior teams to compete as the host nation- one of them produces a top 10 result- we earn qualification points. To be put simply, we have a chance to earn solid points at 2017 Worlds, as well as earn Grand Prix Points across all 4 disciplines next season IF our skaters skate well.
In short, Australia can do it, but it hinges them on bringing their best in the moments when we need it most. If we can qualify, we will enter a team with 3 Direct Entries + 1 Additional Quota.

UPDATE: Following 2017 Worlds, Australia qualified a spot in the Men's event. However, it is likely and expected that they will qualify a lady and a pair team at Nebelhorn this September. It is crucial that Australia receives entries to the Senior Grand Prix in the Mens and Pairs (and hopefully ladies). They will also have to rely on Jnr. Grand Prix results for the dance (and maybe the women if no Grand Prix spots are rewarded)

(NB: If you are wondering about technical minimums for additional quota skaters- It is likely that the minimum will be the same as 4CC/Euros)

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Stage One Standings Complete

With the 2016-17 ISU Championships Season finished now, the first stage of qualification for the Olympic Team Event is now complete.
Please follow the link below to see the results.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12LCnBBQsSpKGN5RT_hj24skoX6aq4xMcjW453oUyqzc/edit?usp=sharing

NOTE:

-If a nation earned points, I put the amount of points in the appropriate box, as well as the name of the skater/couple to earned the spot (some are full names, some abbreviations, some nicknames [e.g. Shibs= Shibutanis= Shibutani/Shibutani], and for most couples X/Y [e.g. V/M = Virtue/Moir])
-If a score is in bold indicates that nation has earned an Olympic Quota Spot at 2017 Worlds.
-The three different colours these scores are highlighted in indicates which competition those scores were earned. The brown= 2017 worlds, the green= 2017 4CC/Euros, and the blue = 2017 World Juniors.
-Nations whose name is in red, with a red highlight indicates that their nation did have representatives in at least 3 different disciplines across all three ISU Championships.

Also N.B
The Qualification Points earned at 2017 Worlds counts towards the team score. If no Qualification Points are earned at 2017 Worlds, the Qualification Points at 2017 Euros/4CC will be used. Likewise, if no Qualification Points are earned at 2017 Euros/4CC, the Qualification Points at 2017 Jnr. Worlds will be used.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Medalist
What happpens if there are less than 10 countries with spots in 3 disciplines?
Out of the current top 10, Spain won't qualify athletes in 3 disciplines barring some unexpected events next season.
Israel may be in the same situation. No ladies and their pair has split IIRC.
Australia is capable of getting in 3 events. But let's speculate for a moment that their girl has a bad day at Nebelhorn and she doesn't qualify.
No other nation behind qualify either.
Which will be the 10th team?

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Good Question. To answer your question:

What happpens if there are less than 10 countries with spots in 3 disciplines?

I suppose that means that there will be less than 10 nations competing in the team event then.
I think the formation of a complete team is more important filling in the 10 Quota Spots. However, a situation like that is very unlikely.

When all of the Olympic Qualification Spots have been decided, if a country has not gained entries in three different disciplines, they cannot qualify for the team event.

So a team in the team event can be formed 3 ways
-A nation that has entries in all FOUR individual events.
-A nation that has entries in THREE Individual events + 1 Additional Quota entry
-A nation that only has entry in THREE Individual Event.

Have a look at the qualification for the last team event.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_skating_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics_–_Qualification

South Korea and Spain were ranked 9th and 10th, however, they couldn't qualify for the team event. South Korea only had direct entries in the Ladies' event. And Spain only had entries in Men's and Ice Dance. Kazakhstan were 11th but couldn't form a team, so Ukraine, who were ranked 12th (and qualified entries in every discipline), took the 9th Team Spot. Likewise, the 13th Ranked Czech Republic were not eligible (as they only had entries in Men's and Ladies') Great Britain, who were ranked 14th (and had entries in Ladies, Pairs and Ice Dance) were able to take the spot under the "3 Direct Entries + 1 Additional Quota Entry Rule"

Last edited: