Deepest edges ever? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Deepest edges ever?

Globetrotter

Medalist
Thank you Globetrotter. I have trouble expressing what I meant but you got it. And this is not to say Yuna is has poor skating skills but there is a purity of edging by Joannie.

You are welcome :). Most times, we tend to rate highly the more overtly expressive, extroverted performers over the more subtle and reserved skaters. Both Joannie and Shizuka have pretty good edge work but are generally underrated compared to stronger extroverted performers like say a Daisuke or Javi.

sc8

On the Ice
My personal fave will be Yuka Sato. https://youtu.be/CZD_N4FY3B0

Watch carefully and listen to how quiet her blades were beyond the crowd cheers. In contrast to mrrice, I will think that quiet blades are the better indicators of true edge mastery. Of course PChan has the strongest ability among active male skaters where gliding and turns are concerned but I think Hanyu is better in terms of gaining speed from the edges which is a very underrated skill of his. It is Yuka Sato's ability to turn smoothly, gain speed, slow down, glide and quiet blades that make me rate her above the guys.

Among current active ladies, other than Mao, I am generally disappointed by the mediocre edge work although there are some with better SS, notably Gracie Gold and Satoko Miyahara although the latter like Mao does not have much power. Otherwise, Caro K had the best SS and edges of her generation. https://youtu.be/43vgYwUcjUs

Watch how deep the edges were on her apparently simple step sequence and how she has to hang on the leaning edge while turning her upper body. Caro made them look easy but they are darn difficult. And she could get a perfect GOE and level 4 in like 40s of steps. None of he current crop of ladies have the SS to achieve that.

Completely agree. Yuka had the best edges I can recall, especially in the program that won her the world title.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
You are welcome :). Most times, we tend to rate highly the more overtly expressive, extroverted performers over the more subtle and reserved skaters. Both Joannie and Shizuka have pretty good edge work but are generally underrated compared to stronger extroverted performers like say a Daisuke or Javi.

So true. But Both Joannie and Shuzuka kind of have a blissful, understated yet solid elegance about them.

gkelly

Record Breaker
It seems that Nobuo Sato has been especially successful at teaching soft knees and deep edges to his daughter and other students, male and female. Other Japanese coaches evidently are as well -- it was Sato's students I especially noticed it with initially, but I haven't followed Japanese domestic skating over the past 50 year.

Once that becomes a strength of several successful Japanese champions, then others are motivated to develop the same strength in order to keep up with their competitors, and out of emulating role models.

(We could also ask what is up with Japanese ladies' historic supremacy when it comes to triple axels, and I think it's obvious that Midori Ito's legacy was an inspiration to future generations there. But that's a different thread.)

Imagine

Medalist
No one caresses the ice like Shizuka...

Even her name reflects how beautifully she strokes across the ice...silent, but so powerful.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
What is up with Japanese ladies' historic supremacy when it comes to 'deep edges'?

It's a speed thing, I think. I recall hearing that Japanese ladies are always taught to go into their jumps with full speed and if this translates to the rest of the program it means deeper edges. It's way easier to lean into/carve a deep edge when you're going faster.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No one caresses the ice like Shizuka...

Even her name reflects how beautifully she strokes across the ice...silent, but so powerful.

After all this time, I'm still in awe of her amazing Ina Bauers! And here it is 10 years later and she's still performing them in ice shows! Pretty amazing! :)

ks777

Record Breaker
For me, It's Yuka Sato. I just love her edges. Her feet never get in ugly positions.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I still don't know how Yags was able to skate as fast as he did because in 2001 Plushy, Todd, and Elvis ALL had deeper edges than Yags. Weird.

His brakes don't work. So the main goal is not to crash into the boards. :hap93:
Oh, and he said he didn't sharpen his skates. He said it indeed. This is the secret!

His mastery of not-crashing-the-boards became just perfect, and landing very strange jumps is his hobby too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB-qwQYoiqw&t=1m15s Month of May
Though it is strange for me, that this thread discusses these skills.
It seems, judges never appreciated such jumps. :)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
His brakes don't work. So the main goal is not to crash into the boards. :hap93:
Oh, and he said he didn't sharpen his skates. He said it indeed. This is the secret!

His mastery of not-crashing-the-boards became just perfect, and landing very strange jumps is his hobby too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB-qwQYoiqw&t=1m15s Month of May
Though it is strange for me, that this thread discusses these skills.
It seems, judges never appreciated such jumps. :)

You know, I really do appreciate Yagudin's skating. I guess it's my loss that I was so loyal to Plushy, but I was the same way with Michelle Kwan. If Maria Butyrskaya was around, she and Irina Slutskaya were basically invisible.

mrrice

Record Breaker
You know who else had relatively shallow edges but jumped REALLY high. Viktoria Volchkova. She was so good in the SP at Worlds 2001. In fact, I think she beat Maria during that portion of the event.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for the reminder. I just watched Matt's LPs from 2006 Nationals and Torino. Gorgeous!

Agreed, loved Matt's skating, and his 2006 Nationals performance remains firmly embedded in my memory and remains one of my all-time favorite performances across disciplines. I've not been able to find it on YouTube, though, only his performance of it in Torino.:(

Last edited:

Ross74

Medalist
Agreed, loved Matt's skating, and his 2006 Nationals performance remains firmly embedded in my memory and remains one of my all-time favorite performances across disciplines. I've not been able to find it on YouTube, though, only his performance of it in Torino.:(

2006 Nationals? I'm getting a message that I'm not allowed to post links, but the one I watched is titled "Matt Savoie 2016 Free Skate".