Help and advice on spinning | Golden Skate

Help and advice on spinning

ADollNamedLian

Spectator
Hello!

I've recently got back into Figure Skating after being away from it for 3 years. Everything has came back so easy to me apart from my spins. I will link my spin progress down below and I was wondering if any of you could give me some tips to improve? I only started lessons up again this week but I have been back on the rink for around a month now and I'm usually practising every day! It says I was practising my scratch spin but I was sort of practising my scratch spin and my one foot spin at the same time XD My blades hadn't been sharpened for ages so I was wondering if that could also effect my spins. I got them sharpened today so I'll find out tomorrow XD

Thank you!

uhh

Medalist
The main thing I see in the video you posted is that you aren't letting your outside edge come round for long enough before you pull up into the spin. Your weight is also a bit too far forward, which is why you end up on your toe pick. I would suggest going back to doing a one foot spin just from a standstill so you remind yourself where your weight should be & how your core should be engaged, and then working back up to doing it entering from crossovers.

I always find it easier to spin on sharp blades, so that will probably help too! Good luck :)

cl2

Final Flight
To help with turning too early, make sure to lead with left shoulder and keep right shoulder back on the entry edge. What you were doing was to wind up your shoulders on the crossovers, and release the wind-up when stepping into entry edge--too early.

On the crossovers, I personally don't like to twist at the waist that much; instead, keep your belly button and hips pointing in the same direction as your skating foot. Don't open up your hips. You should be getting your upper body in place for the step into the entry edge. No drastic movements necessary.

Still on the topic of entry edge, hold a steady outside edge and lead up to the turn by deepening the edge. Deep outside edges happen by sinking into the skating knee and pressing in the outside of your skating foot.

To initiate the turn, bring free side (right shoulder, arms, hips, leg) round at the same time, all in one piece, as you rise out from the turn. Timing is important. You were bringing your various body parts at different times. Engage your core to bring everything round as one.

Upright spin position: extend your skating leg, through your knee, hip and core. Hold a strong balanced position, facing forward. Press on the ball of your foot to get the sweet spot. In your first spin of the video, you got your sweet spot for a split second, so you have it in you.

Lots of things go into a spin, take it one at a time, eventually you will internalize it. Good luck!

Schpanky

Rinkside
Try to balance a glove on your head, so that it does not fall off for the length of the spin.