The best technician in the world | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The best technician in the world

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I think the answer is Plushenko.

Because the jumps never fail him.

Seriously, how many times in his career did he ever fall in competition? You could probably count them on two hands and have fingers left over. Even at the end when he started deteriorating he still stayed on his feet, still rotated his jumps. There was never a doubt about rotation. The only question over technique was a ! flip but he's hardly the first man to have one, or last one.

His quad toe has remained stable and solid right through to the end, and everything else was also reliable. And for that reason I think he is the best.

He had solid 3A and 4T, but 4T was his only reliable competition quad. What about other things like steps and spins ?
I am not going to talk about stuff like transitions because Plush never had them :biggrin:

Lys

Match Penalty
He had solid 3A and 4T, but 4T was his only reliable competition quad. What about other things like steps and spins ?
I am not going to talk about stuff like transitions because Plush never had them :biggrin:

Kidding aside, to me there are several aspects to consider when we talk about "best technician" objectively (and not "best technician I like the most, who cares about everything else"):

Regarding jumps and in no particular order:
1) Quantity
2) Variety
3) Consistency
4) Quality
5) Ability to do them out of different entries

Regarding spins:
1) Variety
2) Quality (first of all: speed & axis)

Regarding steps:
1) Variety
2) Quality
3) everything else that goes into ss and tr pcs explanation

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I think the answer is Plushenko.

Because the jumps never fail him.

Seriously, how many times in his career did he ever fall in competition? You could probably count them on two hands and have fingers left over. Even at the end when he started deteriorating he still stayed on his feet, still rotated his jumps. There was never a doubt about rotation. The only question over technique was a ! flip but he's hardly the first man to have one, or last one.

His quad toe has remained stable and solid right through to the end, and everything else was also reliable. And for that reason I think he is the best.

No matter Karne. Plushenko was the best technician in his peak time. His jumps were high, long with incredible fast turns. And because of his perfect technic he was almost flawless everytime. And if he failed one of the jumps, the "sensor" in his head alerted: you need to make only double jump!! The jumps were doubled not a fall in a triple. Even today he has very solid jumps after his serious surgeries.

He wasn't the best spinner, but that was good enough in that time.

He had hard, fast footworks, those were much more interesting and enjoyable than nowadays the skaters need to do in new rules.. He was the first skater who received level4 for his steps, but the system has changed a lot since Torino, Vancouver. The FS developed, the young "pencil thin" guys are better because they grew up in this system. I really believe Browning, Kulik, Yagudin, Plushenko needed to this development.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Davis and White seem to nail their elements pretty well.....with style FTW!

Lila11

Rinkside

About Plushenko's steps - I have to disagree with you. He was not only known for his quadruple jump combinations but also for great footwork in his prime.
Plushy's combination 4T+3T+3Lo in the free skate at 03 GPF is one of the best jumps combination that been ever done in male figure skating history.
New guys do multiple quads but rarely have they been consistent.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
4T : Patrick (would put Yuzuru but it seems like last season his 4T is not as it was in the 13/14 to 14/15 season. Patrick is perhaps one of the most consistent 4T-jumper, career-wise)

Chan may have been a consistent 4t jumper at one time, but since he took his one-year hiatus, his quad hasn't been all that consistent.

Hanyu has been avoiding the 4t because of his sore foot.

andromache

Record Breaker
Davis and White seem to nail their elements pretty well.....with style FTW!

Agreed that Davis and White are the best technicians in dance in recent memory, and perhaps of all the disciplines too? Their consistency was unmatched - though obviously they weren't doing quad jumps either.

Any great technicians among the pairs and ladies?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
About Plushenko's steps - I have to disagree with you. He was not only known for his quadruple jump combinations but also for great footwork in his prime.
Plushy's combination 4T+3T+3Lo in the free skate at 03 GPF is one of the best jumps combination that been ever done in male figure skating history.
New guys do multiple quads but rarely have they been consistent.

The new Fs fans don't know it. Plus most of them read this he "lack of artistry" in the campaigne against him in 2010. They don't know he was the youngest male skater ever ( 16.yo.) who received 6.0 perfect score. And he received 75 6.0s under the old system. No one comes close to him. They don't know for example the Nijinsky program, just repeat: he has no TRs. The Nijinsky much more beautiful than any other program with full of TRs! ;)

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
So, I was always wondering about this.
Who is the best technical skater in the world. What is definition of it.

Is it Nathan Chen because he can land 4 diffrent quads, do ok spins, nice steps
Is it Boyang Jin because he can do huge quad lutz, so so spins, so so steps
Is it Hanyu because he can do 3 diffrent quads, but make them big, airy and easy from spread eagles, also perfect technique on 3A's etc, with great spins and steps.

Marina Zoueva wants us to believe it's Nathan Chen :biggrin: but what's your opinion on this definition

Current TES record holder is Hanyu with TES of 120 in LP I think with Fernandez coming 2nd with 116 and Jin with 110

Haha! This post is a little tendentious. Don't tell me you're a Yuzu Fangirl. xD!

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
The definition of a technical skater : Best technician or Best Jumper?

Because I always assume good technique does not revolve only around jumps.
Having good quality edge, good speed, good flow in your skating means good technique too.
Having good speed, with centered position on spin means good technique too.

In my opinion good technician =/ good jumper. But skaters who on average has good technique in different aspect of skating. :biggrin:

For this reason, among current active male skaters, I would nominate Patrick and Yuzuru. :)

Well said!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I feel like I answer this question every week. My answer is basically the same every time. IMO, The best jumper with the best "Cat Feet" is without a doubt, Plushy. He is the definition of "Cat Feet" he had them in 1999, he didn't need them in 2001 because he was simply perfect at Worlds. The only thing that Plushy wasn't the best at in 2001, was spinning.

That crown go's to Todd Eldredge. He also had deeper edge (By A Lot) than any man I had ever seen until..............You know. Patrick. I don't like giving titles because they were all capable of beating the other on any given day. Yags was the most "Passionate" performer and IMO had the best connection with the audience. However, Plushy is my favorite skater of all time and his resume' show's it. I also really like his personality and the way he continues to be a positive influence on many skaters and fans. On more than one occasion, I have seen him sign autograph's for fans until his coaches force him to stop. Even then, he kept waving and smiling at everyone.

leaving all current skaters OFF the list my top 3 are Plushy, Todd, and a tie between Brian Boitano and Yags. It's sad that Todd never won the OGM but, I still prefer his skating to Brian's.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'd give it to Yuzu (surpriiiiise!!:laugh: )

He's the most balanced regarding jumps, spins and steps and also regarding quantity vs quality (although his new 4 quad LP is, well... Too new to say, but I'd definitely say so about last years LP)

I'm also horribly biased towards my favorite jump, the 3A (my one true biggest skating bias, actually :biggrin: ). So the best technician needs to have a gorgeous 3A - sorry Nathan, but Yuzu's 3A it is!:love:

I will agree but with due respect this thread is very misleading or poorly worded. BEST TECHNICIAN. Didn't say best TES, best jumps. And for that matter a good technician would arguably encompass someone who has good skating feet - skating skills. I am not sure going by TES scores is what necessarily this thread was or is about - or they wouldjust say top TES scores. I mean Chen has 4 quads but he sort of throws himself into them and spins fast and his spins, footwork and edging is not the level of others including Hanyu or Chan or Ten. When chan is on his jumps are textbook beautiful. So Hanyu is probably the best overall technician depending on your definition. In fact Nathan might rank well down the list if you look not so much the no. of rotations but the quality of all his skating - jumps, spins, footwork, edging, skating skills. Ten, Fernandez, Hanyu, Chan arguably are all ahead.

andromache

Record Breaker
I will agree but with due respect this thread is very misleading or poorly worded. BEST TECHNICIAN. Didn't say best TES, best jumps. And for that matter a good technician would arguably encompass someone who has good skating feet - skating skills. I am not sure going by TES scores is what necessarily this thread was or is about - or they wouldjust say top TES scores. I mean Chen has 4 quads but he sort of throws himself into them and spins fast and his spins, footwork and edging is not the level of others including Hanyu or Chan or Ten. When chan is on his jumps are textbook beautiful. So Hanyu is probably the best overall technician depending on your definition. In fact Nathan might rank well down the list if you look not so much the no. of rotations but the quality of all his skating - jumps, spins, footwork, edging, skating skills. Ten, Fernandez, Hanyu, Chan arguably are all ahead.

For me, technician = technique, including jump technique. As brilliant as Patrick Chan is, it's hard to characterize him as a great technician when his 3A is so unreliable. A lip on a flip (relatively common among some top men) is forgivable because missing one of the regular triple jumps isn't a big deal for men with quads. But bad technique on a required element - sure, technically the 3A isn't required over a 2A, but it basically is for the top men - is tougher to excuse.

But if Adam Rippon can get a reliable 3A, I think Patrick Chan and Nathan Chen should both be able to.

sammyott

Rinkside
Agreed that Davis and White are the best technicians in dance in recent memory, and perhaps of all the disciplines too? Their consistency was unmatched - though obviously they weren't doing quad jumps either.

Any great technicians among the pairs and ladies?

For pairs, I'd say it definitely either has to be Sui/Han or Savchenko/Massot. Both of their twists are ridiculous and if Savchenko/Massot nail down that throw 3A, it would be awesome. Also, their lifts are superior in my book simply because Massot is so strong and she's so light.

Ladies as of right now would have to be Evgenia. Her Lutz is questionable, but the tanos are crazy and on almost every jump! If we're talking about the ladies skating to their full potential, I would say Mao is up there and although Satoko doesn't have huge jumps, they're always consistent and her spins are to die for (best layback at the top of the women's field right now in my opinion; JLip is amazing, but I wouldn't consider her near the top at this moment in time).

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
For pairs, I'd say it definitely either has to be Sui/Han or Savchenko/Massot. Both of their twists are ridiculous and if Savchenko/Massot nail down that throw 3A, it would be awesome. Also, their lifts are superior in my book simply because Massot is so strong and she's so light.

Ladies as of right now would have to be Evgenia. Her Lutz is questionable, but the tanos are crazy and on almost every jump! If we're talking about the ladies skating to their full potential, I would say Mao is up there and although Satoko doesn't have huge jumps, they're always consistent and her spins are to die for (best layback at the top of the women's field right now in my opinion; JLip is amazing, but I wouldn't consider her near the top at this moment in time).

Going to agree on both Sui/Han and Savchenko/Massot. D/R are known for their technical difficulty, but their throws and twists aren't particularly spectacular looking or big. I do think Tarasova/Morozov have a ton of potential to be the best in the future. They can attain the Russian quality of V/T and they are young enough to increase their difficulty. I definitely see a quad twist in their future.

Of the current ladies, I'd call it a tie between Liza Tuk and Gracie Gold. Evgenia's jumps are consistent and use tanos, but they're too muscled to be proficient in technique. Gracie and Liza both have great jumps with more textbook quality. Gracie has the flip issue, but that's outweighed by her very, very excellent spins and footwork. Liza would easily be number one if her spins and footwork were better. Oh, and Polina Tsurskaya, duhhhhh. It's technique that makes her jumps so effortless in spite of her height and growth spurts. Maybe she's number one. I don't think Satoko or Mao have excellent technique of enough of their jumps. Probably the best Japanese woman, jump technique-wise, would be Wakaba?

Yuna Kim is notable as well for the textbook quality of her jumps, even without the loop due to her hips.

I'm struggling to think of pre-COP women with notable technique on a majority of their elements. Midori Ito and Tonya Harding?

sammyott

Rinkside
Going to agree on both Sui/Han and Savchenko/Massot. D/R are known for their technical difficulty, but their throws and twists aren't particularly spectacular looking or big. I do think Tarasova/Morozov have a ton of potential to be the best in the future. They can attain the Russian quality of V/T and they are young enough to increase their difficulty. I definitely see a quad twist in their future.

Of the current ladies, I'd call it a tie between Liza Tuk and Gracie Gold. Evgenia's jumps are consistent and use tanos, but they're too muscled to be proficient in technique. Gracie and Liza both have great jumps with more textbook quality. Gracie has the flip issue, but that's outweighed by her very, very excellent spins and footwork. Liza would easily be number one if her spins and footwork were better. Oh, and Polina Tsurskaya, duhhhhh. It's technique that makes her jumps so effortless in spite of her height and growth spurts. Maybe she's number one. I don't think Satoko or Mao have excellent technique of enough of their jumps. Probably the best Japanese woman, jump technique-wise, would be Wakaba?

Yuna Kim is notable as well for the textbook quality of her jumps, even without the loop due to her hips.

I'm struggling to think of pre-COP women with notable technique on a majority of their elements. Midori Ito and Tonya Harding?

I really just put Evgenia there because she has been the best consistent technician. As far as jumps go, yes Liza is stellar when they're on, but that hasn't been the case lately, but as far as overall performance technician (not just jumps), I think Mao is definitely a contender because of her decent jump technique, good spins, and good SS. Tsurskaya is the real deal though. She is going to be a force next year. Her Game of Thrones program is breathtaking.

I'm only 22, so my knowledge of Ito and Harding is not extensive. Haven't ventured too far in the past of figure skating.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Chan may have been a consistent 4t jumper at one time, but since he took his one-year hiatus, his quad hasn't been all that consistent.

Mao may have been a consistent 3A jumper at one time, but since she took her one-year hiatus, her 3A hasn't been all that consistent. :sarcasm:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
As far as technicians go, a case can be made for Chen because of the versatility of his quads but it's way too early to give it to him. I'd consider giving it to Jin because of the difficulty and number of quads he attempts and his hit rate is excellent. Hanyu is probably the best all-around technician.

As for Plushenko or Chan being the best technician, sorry but one quad doesn't cut it, even if it is pretty consistent and of good quality. In his time Plushenko was arguably the best once Yags was out of the way (and even then Goebel was definitely the better technician at the 02 Olympics), and when his chief rivals like Lambiel and Buttle were inconsistent on their 3A and quad.

I would also hold the other guys in higher regard than Plushenko because not only did they try/execute harder quads, they did it with more complex choreography and with a balanced jump layout. A good technician doesn't front load and can rely on their technical abilities to pull off hard tricks anywhere in the program (eg Shoma's 3A+3F).