Judging placards in the 80s | Golden Skate

Judging placards in the 80s

Now that's what I am talking about! That's real figure skating! None of this feeding hundredths of a point into a computer. :)

for a math guy, you are easily disturbed with basic cop arithmetic :laugh2:

So true, and there is a mathematical reason. To do the CoP the only mathematical skill required is the ability to add.

Ordinal judging, though -- that leads to the huge and fascinating field of "Social Choice Theory," with applications in economics. political science, and many others. The key question is, how can society as a whole (in this case the "society" is the panel of judges) come to an optimal decision based on conflicting views of its individual members.

Indeed, economist Kenneth Arrow won a Nobel Prize for proving mathematical results showing that no system is perfect. (I could have told him that and won the Nobel prize for myself. :yes: )

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well not quite, there are deductions as well as factors in COP ;) ordinal ranking can be done in so many ways... i heard of a story where a teacher would throw essays randomly in the staircase and would then ranked them accordingly to which steps they had fallen on.
So true, and there is a mathematical reason. To do the CoP the only mathematical skill required is the ability to add.

Ordinal judging, though -- that leads to the huge and fascinating field of "Social Choice Theory," with applications in economics. political science, and many others. The key question is, how can society as a whole (in this case the "society" is the panel of judges) come to an optimal decision based on conflicting views of its individual members.

Indeed, economist Kenneth Arrow won a Nobel Prize for proving mathematical results showing that no system is perfect. (I could have told him that and won the Nobel prize for myself. :yes: )

TGee

Record Breaker

Uhm, so very tempted to start talking in math...

But will restrain myself and cite Arrow in reasonably plain English

"Most systems are not going to work badly all of the time. All I proved is that all can work badly at times.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And exactly *what* is so amusing about this photo, young 'un?:laugh:

I don't care whether I actually understood 6.0, I *thought* I understood it, and that was good enough for me.;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the cane is about to make an appearance ? hur hur :devil:
And exactly *what* is so amusing about this photo, young 'un?:laugh:

I don't care whether I actually understood 6.0, I *thought* I understood it, and that was good enough for me.;)