Gracie Gold debated skipping Grand Prix | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold debated skipping Grand Prix

moriel

Record Breaker
curve up jumping pass, using the diagonal instead of parallel rink length are all good solutions without sacrifice speed.

adjusting to different size ice rink especially as big jumper skaters(with distance) is something they need to learn to address once they started to skate internationally. Some of them even have to do it on the spot for surprise situations. It still puzzles me that Gracie is known to have this issue for quite some time now yet still haven't fix it.

also she has the habit to watch backwards before she start her combo. still did not help with hitting board at all.

I dunno really how to fix it, but her relation to boarders still looks uncomfortable =(
And, imh, fixing it entirely would help her consistency too (sometimes, when she jumps close to boards, that seems to disturb her jump somehow... Looks like she is scared of hitting the boarder and then the jump is smaller and awkward)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Her jumps may be much more consistent in practice, which is the important thing. Her missing the jumps in competition is from the pressure she faces being the favorite in most events she competes in now, which was not the case before she went to Frank. It's not as if her jumping bigger would make the jumps more consistent in competition because her problem is never rotation.

The flip was way more consistent in the past with the previous technique though.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The flip was way more consistent in the past with the previous technique though.

I think that new entrance might be because there is a greater emphasis on footwork leading into the solo triple in the SP. We see Mao increasingly being penalized for her beautiful 3Lo because of the lack of steps directly preceding the jump. Since Gracie doesn't do the turns into the loop like a lot of other skaters, the flip is the jump she can do the steps required.

KatGrace1925

Medalist

I think that may just be because Gracie is psyched out on that jump. She did it just fine in practice videos at the beginning of last season but she's made enough mistakes on the flip now that she seems to always get tight before the jump. I feel like it can't be as big of an issue in practice if they keep using it. Either that or they are working on it, I don't know.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Where? :confused:

Please take a look at her previous programs: her jumps were a lot higher, the flip for example was way better, and she used to land 3f-3t, 3ltz-3t,3ltz from the spread eagle and rippon lutz.

About the facial expressions Alex always said to her: "you must be b***h", they were working on this and according to Alex, Marina helped her a lot on skating skills in 2013, while the scores went bigger because of:
- the expectations from the federation;
- the ranking position;
- Frank's reputation in Figure skating.

2012 Gracie's SP at Cup of russia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTl4NHOWTfA

More speed, huge jumps, the smile always there, and even some sassy moments (never seen this in all Lori's programs for Gracie)

I was a huge fan of that Gracie Gold, this one with that boring Daphnis's FS? hell no.

I agree that this Gracie looks a lot happier and more relaxed and the program is cute.

Maybe she is so sensitive and easily affected by her music/programs that a tense program would crank up her nerves. There are skaters like that.

Might be better for her to pick a happier, more energetic piece and she has to smile and relax and the nerves dissipate.

But please NOT Taylor Swift! I think a little Latin might be good.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think that may just be because Gracie is psyched out on that jump. She did it just fine in practice videos at the beginning of last season but she's made enough mistakes on the flip now that she seems to always get tight before the jump. I feel like it can't be as big of an issue in practice if they keep using it. Either that or they are working on it, I don't know.

She's also fighting to stay on the inside edge, as she was last season but she mostly got a pass on that from the tech panel.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
She's also fighting to stay on the inside edge, as she was last season but she mostly got a pass on that from the tech panel.

I just rewatches her olympic skates where she did relatively well and she fell on what I believe was her tripple flip, she was off axis in the air just like we saw her get at Skate America before each fall. I was trying to inspect the edge as well and it looked really flat (not even sure it was meant to be the flip). It doesn't seem like this is as new of an issue as people think.