Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: "Heartbreak" Ice Moments

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    I can't really say that I felt sorry for Michelle, either. She had just won her second Olympic medal, to go along with 4 (now 5) World Championships and 6 (now 8) US Championships. What was heartrending to me about her Fields of Gold exhibition was simply the beauty of the performance, how she put her heart and soul into it and drew the audience into the experience with her. To me, it was like she was consoling us, not the other way around. Like she was saying, "Don't feel bad, y'all, I'm still your Michelle."
    Mathman
    With all due respect to Michelle, I thought her choice of exhibition music - "Fields of Gold", with a lovely golden costume - was almost presumptive - as if she expected to win the gold medal at Salt Lake. With all the problems she had recently had in dropping Frank Carroll, it was a bit amazing to me that she made this musical/costume choice. IMHO, of course.

Oh, I didn't feel that way at all. Fields of Gold was the exhibition program that she had prepared, months before. That was the dress she commissioned. When it came time to skate, she skated the program she had prepared, like everybody else.

I didn't expect her to rush out and buy a bronze dress just because she had a falling out with Frank Carroll.

MM

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    With all due respect to Michelle, I thought her choice of exhibition music - "Fields of Gold", with a lovely golden costume - was almost presumptive - as if she expected to win the gold medal at Salt Lake. With all the problems she had recently had in dropping Frank Carroll, it was a bit amazing to me that she made this musical/costume choice. IMHO, of course.
    Thank you SkateFan4Life! That is exactly what I was trying to say. It was not meant to be cold!! The past two olympics she thought she would win (and I am not saying that she should not have won) because I do feel she is a much better skater than either Tara or Sarah but what counts are the scores at the time and she did not come through when it counted...

Custom Title
    I'm sorry. I have to disagree. I don't think Michelle ever thought or knew she would win the Olympic Gold. I think she very much WANTED to. There is a big difference. Michelle herself was no fool heading into SLC. She hadn't defeated Slutskaya all season and she had also been beaten by fellow U.S. teammate Sarah Hughes at Skate Canada....I don't think she knew anything but that she wanted to skate well and that she had a chance. She didn't and she missed her chance. I also have to disagree and say that I don't think "Fields of Gold" was meant as a pre-victory or victory lap. That isn't even what the song is about! The song is very fitting as a tribute piece and that is just what it was. As for the color of her dress? She also wore a gold costume for her exhibition at the 2001 Worlds, her SP at 2002 Skate America, and on and on....it really is silly to assert that Michelle's choice in costume color was an early declaration of her self-proclaimed anointment as Olympic champion. She obviously liked gold and that costume and wore it several times before and after. It was a decision based on personal preference.

+ Medalist +
    I think the context and intent for which the outfit and program were conceived (for the 1961 tribute performance also post 9/11) are so far away from, "I want gold 5 months from now, so I'll wear a gold outfit. I'm soooo the favorite. Check me out."

I thought that was a beautiful outfit, and yes, if you're skating to a song called Fields of Gold, a gold outfit strikes me as somewhat logical. It would have been weirder to me if she'd changed outfits after the losing gold, actually.

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard
    It was also a tribute to the 1961 Worlds team, who were all killed in plane crash.

Laura
    What was? MK's FOG? I did not know that if that is what you are referring to. Double sadness.

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    I know there are more, but right now these are all I can think of:

The face of Brian Orser on the podium at Oly's 1988 in Calgary.

Irina crying after the LP in SLC 2002 after a close comp. in the LP and a at least disputed decision in the SP. She could've been Olympic Champion.

Sasha, when he didn't make the podium (again) at Worlds 2002 in Nagano.

Alexei in the KnC after an unfortunate LP in Nagano 1998. His coach has treaten him like a dog.

Evgeny in the KnC after his fall in the SP in SLC 2002. His coach has treaten him like a dog ...

Anke
    Last edited by Germanice; 07-26-2004 at 10:55 PM.

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    FOG was originally choregraphed and performed when Michelle was still coached by Frank. It was performed in October of 2001 for a skating tribute to the memories of the 61 US team, tragically lost in a plane crash. Michelle and Frank specifically picked the music for this event as her exhibition piece for the season. Then came 9/11, and the tribute became more than just payed respects to lost skaters--instead, it also memorialized those lost to the tragedy in September. If you listen to the words of the song, it can be interpreted as a memorial to someone.

I don't know why she chose a gold dress, but to say she picked the song because she thought she was a shoo-in for the OGM is just plain wrong. She originally used a lavendar dress that was too fussy for the music. That plain but sparkly gold dress simply worked for the number, which is probably the best skating Michelle has ever done. I always assumed she chose it because of the title of the song, not because of the Olympics. To say she set herself up deliberately for disappointment with the choice of a dress color, IMO, is rather silly. I, too believe, that she wanted the OGM but did not think she was necessarily destined to have it, but we're each entitled to our own opinion.

I'd add Maria Butyrskaya at 2002 Worlds -- she totally bombed in QR and retired on the spot. Whatever you think of her, she was an excellent skater; seeing her retire in such desperation was heartbreaking.

Custom Title
    "Fields of Gold" was written by Sting. Eva Cassidy's version, which Michelle used for her exhibition, is especially poignant because the song is a wistful memory of past moments shared, and Eva had died of melanoma at age 33.

Here's a link to the words of the song:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Ev...rld.com&rnum=4

Thank you for your posts, Yazmeen and Euterpe.

Mathman
    Last edited by Mathman; 07-27-2004 at 01:21 PM.

SkateFan4Life
    Russian figure skater Maria Butrasyaka had a number of heartbreaking skating moments during her competitive career. Although she won the 1999 World title, and was a very deserving winner, Maria was plagued with bad technique, an unfortunate case of nerves, and stiff legs, all of which hindered her as she competed.

At the 1998 Winter Olympics, Maria had drawn to skate first in the short program, which was pretty much the kiss of death, since the judges have to hold back on the marks for the first few skaters. Maria skated a strong short program and was in third place heading into the long program. Had she skated a clean program, she might well have won the bronze medal behind Tara Lipinski and Michelle Kwan. Alas for Maria, she missed several jumps and finished out of the medals. She left the kiss 'n cry area before all of her marks were announced.

It was even worse at the 2002 Winter Olympics. Maria had skated poorly in the short program and was in sixth place heading into the long program. A medal wasn't a realistic thought, but I'm sure she just wanted to skate a strong long program. More mistakes, more missed jumps. When she finished her program, commentator Sandra Bezic said, "Maria is thinking - I worked four years for this?" How sad.

Argentinian wonder ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe
    "Fields of Gold" was written by Sting. Eva Cassidy's version, which Michelle used for her exhibition, is especially poignant because the song is a wistful memory of past moments shared, and Eva had died of melanoma at age 33.

Here's a link to the words of the song:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Ev...rld.com&rnum=4
    True. But if you don't know the context in which FOG was written, or if you don't understang much english, that program can be interpreted as a little presumptive. Back in 2002 I didn't knew much english and I thought that her choise of Ex Program was not the best one.
    I'm shure she didn't choose it for that reason but that's how I felt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen
    I don't know why she chose a gold dress, but to say she picked the song because she thought she was a shoo-in for the OGM is just plain wrong...
    When I first saw the dress, I thought it was presumptive. Then I thought about it and realized, well, it's not called "Fields of Purple!"

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    Fields of Purple......you are too funny, LOL

And it could have been Fields of Fuschia. Boy, THAT dress sure would have gotten some serious attention, LOL :D :o

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast