"Bourne Supremacy" | Golden Skate

"Bourne Supremacy"

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Just got back from the flicks after seeing "Bourne Supremacy". I was so looking forward to the sequel, but was so disappointed. This movie had to have the worst photography and camera shots that I have ever seen. Picture a bunch of six graders shooting a movie in their backyard and there you have it. Think back to the "Blair Witch Project" and there you have Bourne Supremacy. I actually got a headache watching it. They must have used a shoulder mounted camera in nearly every scene. I am so miffed. The storyline was good and so was the acting, but it was a real mess to watch..........42

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that. I am totally pumped for this movie. I just loved the first one.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Kara, don't get me wrong, the acting was first rate as was the storyline.....even my hubby, who never has a problem watching anything, said that some of the scenes were hard to visually track..........I understand that there is to be a third movie. I hope to heaven they have a different director with a "clearer" vision. Anyone else see it yet? 42

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I am still looking forward to it, even though I was a bit disappointed by the first movie because they left SO much from the book out. The book was much richer and more complex, and the movie was, by comparison, shallow.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
It was never intented to be a faithful retelling of the book. (Thank God! The books are older and full of Cold War intrique that just wouldn't resonate on screen today.) You should check out the TV movie made some years ago. That's a more faithful adaptation.

I disagree with Show. I LOVED the look of this film. Much gritter and organic on all levels. The camera work is essential to the pulse of the film. It's not Hollywood sets or sweeping crane camera work. They went to each of the main locations (India, Berlin and Moscow). The camera work is in direct correlation to Jason Bourne's psyche. He's constantly on the move and improvising his way through every situation. I thought the camera work was a great symbolic tool to illustrate the entire pulse of the film. I didn't get a headache at all. I was completely swept up with the ride. (Of course having a headache wasn't too far from what Bourne was going through, so maybe Show was relating very closely to the movie! :laugh: )

The first film had the advantage of the questions surrounding who Bourne was. Supremacy doesn't have that card to play, but I still liked the movie. Kudos to the casting of Joan Allen. My only complaint is that I would have liked to see more information on the forming of Treadstone.

Damon was spot on as usual.

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
Skate Sandee - I loved it too and ITA with your points. Luckily I was seated toward the back of the theater, so the flash editing/directing wasn't totally in my face. I'd highly recommend it, but make sure you take a dramamine first.

Antilles

Medalist
I really enjoyed this film. While the cinematography was a little much sometimes, I think the story was great. Matt Damon and Joan Allen did great jobs. Is there supposed to be a third film, ort is this where the story ended in the books?

Kasey

Medalist
I'll agree with the occasionally nauseating camera work!! But the movie was GREAT! And it was neat, I'm currently 'self learning' some Russian, and I actually caught some words in the movie (okay, so like four spoken and two written!) I must say, they sure make those Russian taxicabs built to last!!! ;)

Kasey

Glacierskater

On the Ice
show 42 said:
Just got back from the flicks after seeing "Bourne Supremacy". I was so looking forward to the sequel, but was so disappointed. This movie had to have the worst photography and camera shots that I have ever seen. Picture a bunch of six graders shooting a movie in their backyard and there you have it. Think back to the "Blair Witch Project" and there you have Bourne Supremacy. I actually got a headache watching it. They must have used a shoulder mounted camera in nearly every scene. I am so miffed. The storyline was good and so was the acting, but it was a real mess to watch..........42

hanks for saving me the $7.50. I hate i when someone build up a movie and you get there and you could have spent the time doing other things like skating!

Ebert and Roeper both liked it. I happen to like Matt Damon as an actor., and can't help but compare him to Ben Afleck. Matt, for me, can act and act well. I think Ben needs some classes.

If Bourne doesn't do it, I hope he gets a good role next time out.

Of course, there is Cat Woman. I understand it has three things going for it: Haille Beery's face; her costume and the body that slips into the costume. Nothing else. Maybe the year's worst.

Joe

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Ebert and Roeper both liked it. I happen to like Matt Damon as an actor., and can't help but compare him to Ben Afleck. Matt, for me, can act and act well. I think Ben needs some classes.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I totally agree! Matt disappears into a role, whereas with Ben, I feel as though he's "playing" it. ("Look at me, I'm a hunk!"). The one exception was the film that made them both famous, "Good Will Hunting."

mpal2

Final Flight
Matt is my favorite of the two. I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie. I missed it this weekend due to being lazy and not wanting to leave the house. :laugh: Maybe next weekend.

phoenixflamezzz

Rinkside
Over the weekend, I had a twofer...err saw two movies. One was I, Robot and the other one was this. Boy, what a contrast on how to make a good action flick against how not to make a good action flick. Wthout going into mich detail:

I, Robot grade: C-
--It's not that it's Gigli bad. It's just not very good. You know something's wrong when the only character in the movie you cared about is a robot. Sonny rocked! The rest of the movie...blah.

Bourne Supremacy: A
--Didn't like the first one, but this one rocked my socks off. It's a first rate action movie. Affleck should take a page from his buddy and sign on to make good movies from now on. Then again, I've always thought Damon was ten times the actor Affleck was.

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
I thought it was a terrific movie. I can't wait to see it again.

All I can say is maybe try sitting toward the back of the theater. Maybe it'll be a little easier to take in all the jumpy camerawork from a bit of a distance.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I loved it and I agree with Sandy that the shots really capture what is going on through his mind. The Moscow shots were a treat, and Matt had a reasonably dood Russian. My only disappointment was the very early departure of Marie. I love Franka, especially Princess and the Warrior. Check it out, if you haven't seen it yet.

Yana

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
LOVED IT!!! The camerawork was a bit MUCH at times, but I thought it fit the film and just enjoyed it as such. Mr. RG didn't know whether it made him sick--or whether it was just the popcorn! :D

There is a third book: "The Bourne Ultimatum." I look forward to the movie!
:love:

Last edited:

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Just saw it! I liked the first movie better, but this wasn't bad. The camera work was seriously annoying during the final chase scene, but other than that was tolerable. I still HATE MTV for making that technique popular. It's awful.

I miss Berlin. I want to go back....

Laura :)