Showman Uno wins first grand prix title | Golden Skate

Showman Uno wins first grand prix title

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Japanese sensation, Shoma Uno, clinched his first grand prix title today in Chicago, Ill., at 2016 Skate America today. USA’s Jason Brown moved up to claim silver, while teammate Adam Rippon slipped to third.

“It is quite different from what I have performed in the past,” said the 2015 World Junior champion. “I tried to start with what tango is really like. In the beginning, I wasn’t so sure I would be able to pull this out, but the music just started to grow inside of me and I started to enjoy expressing this type of music. I just tried to express what fit my skating to the music.”
More

What are your thoughts on the men's performances?

padme21

On the Ice
While I wasn't a fan of Shoma's FS (the music didn't work for me much like the Shibutani's short dance music cuts) I loved his SP as I'm a big fan of Joshua Bell and "Fantasy for the Violin and Orchestra" is one of my favorite pieces he's played. His first GP win well done!

I'm going to have to say the performance of the night went to hands-down Jason Brown loved his FS!

Adam continues to surprise. I did not expect to see him on the podium.(I didn't expect Jason Brown either.)

Nam well done! Considering where he was last season 6th place is a huge improvement! It looks like the coaching change was the right move for him now that he's nearly got all his jumps back. Hopefully he won't grown anymore.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Adored Shoma's FS. :love: His SP was good, a little generic in choreo, but with a lovely Stsq. His FS was amazing. The way he moves his arms and his back are sublime. :luv17: Loved the stsq too. Yes, the second half may be a little emptier but I respect the fact that, as a not naturally talented jumper, he is working hard at that base value. I believe more transitions will come as his jumps grow stronger. Still, although simpler, even the second half was beautiful to watch between the jumps because his skating is so smooth. Shame about the combo but the quads were some of the best he has done. I'm impressed with how hard this kid works.

ETA: I must be one of the only ones that doesn't mind his FS music at all. I like how unique it is! And 'loco' fits him too! ;)

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
Japanese sensation, Shoma Uno, clinched his first grand prix title today in Chicago, Ill., at 2016 Skate America today. USA’s Jason Brown moved up to claim silver, while teammate Adam Rippon slipped to third.

More

What are your thoughts on the men's performances?

Last year's TEB not counted? Is that considered a half title?

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Shoma's LP is my favourite program so far this season. It is SO GOOD that every time I think about it I get so happy.
I love everything about it, the beautiful costume, the music even the screamed part, I absolutely love it, the step seq:love: the spins, the spread eagle and all those jumps were SO MUCH improved and just the way he moves hahhhhhh. Omg I love him. (i agree a bit too many crossovers in 2nd part of the program that looks a bit emptier, but honestly i don't even care that much)
Also the fact he is always so intense when irl he is kind of a kitten gives me life. He really captured the theme.
SP is good. Nothing really special but still very enjoyable, a nice step seq and a fantastic last spin that gave me goosebumps.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Shoma's LP is absolutely stunning. I love it. This guy will go far. PCS seem a bit low for that kind of program.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
> I must be one of the only ones that doesn't mind his FS music at all. I like how unique it is! And 'loco' fits him too!

Nothing wrong with Shoma's FS music. Tango singing is not meant to be pretty. He is way too young really to be using authentic tango music, but his music choice is interesting and challenging. And he does a pretty good job with it. Would prefer him to be in a simpler costume. He's short and cute, doesn't need all that ornamentation, though I guess it does express the loco-ness :laugh:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
> I must be one of the only ones that doesn't mind his FS music at all. I like how unique it is! And 'loco' fits him too!

Nothing wrong with Shoma's FS music. Tango singing is not meant to be pretty. He is way too young really to be using authentic tango music, but his music choice is interesting and challenging. And he does a pretty good job with it. Would prefer him to be in a simpler costume. He's short and cute, doesn't need all that ornamentation, though I guess it does express the loco-ness :laugh:

Nothing like a good Piazzolla tango. And some people were saying he should leave the cantilever out because it doesn't fit the music at all. I totally disagree. At that point, Milva is wailing "La vida -- la, la, la", and it's almost like a climactic point in the song. Like Michael Weiss said on Ice Network - you can teach someone to do jumps, spins, spirals, etc., but you can't teach connection to music and emotion. Some of that stuff you just have to feel. I think Shoma does that very well. The costume is gorgeous...I was sitting on the end of the rink in the 6th row, and it was pretty fun when he was coming at us full speed ahead to do his quad flip. I was hoping he wouldn't pull a Midori Ito and end up in the camera section.