• Michelle Kwan - 2003 Worlds

Votes: 31 15.1%
  • Other

Votes: 28 13.7%

• Total voters

guinevere

Final Flight
BronzeisGolden said:
Irina's comeback in the 99-00 season was great. It was even greater because she came back an improved and overall better skater.
This is what I had in mind when I voted "other". I think Irina is possibly in the middle of another, even greater, comeback, but it's too soon to tell.

Others of note:
Bereshnaya returning to skating, and achieving Oly gold, after her injury.

Todd Eldredge, after skipping the Grand Prix and US Nationals for 2 seasons, getting on the World team in 2001 (and winning a Bronze medal), and then winning the national title in 2002.

I'm a huge Kwan fan, but I agree with whoever said in reference to 2003 Worlds that going from 1st to 2nd to 1st again isn't really a comeback. I think that MK's 1997-98 season was something of a personal comeback because Michelle had serious problems with her skating the entire previous season, but I don't think even that is in the running for "best" comeback.

Of course, if you want to look at it another way, Michelle had the best comeback in the post-Oly interview with her & Tara, when the interviewer was trying to dig dirt about the rivalry between the two, and Michelle said "I didn't lose the gold, I won the silver." :cool:

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Koroleva said:
Elena had a meter of champagne fall on her head, she had to go to the hospital, and in the end she had a severe concussion. She still had to have (part of?) her head shaved. I think that is pretty serious myself. She was going to quit but her mother and good friend Elena Berezhnaya told her not to. Plus her federation and coach dropped her right after her accident.

Even when she skated at Worlds in 2003 she had an ankle injury. Plus all of the other things she has had to over come, her concussion, 2 injuries and a surgery last year, her car and skates being stolen this year, etc. She's a fighter and I think her come back was quite miraculous.

I have one other skater to add, Tatiana Totmianina. Get well soon!

I thought that they said at World's that something fell out of the overhead compartment on a plane and hit her in the head, and it was at that moment she realized that she could not live without skating....I was thinking that it was her skates that hit her...

alhuncc

Rinkside
Rudy Galindo...more than once..
World Junior Pairs Champion with Kristi in '86, World Junior Men's Champion in '87, National Senior Pairs Champion in 1989 and 1990...

Then Mens Champion, 1996 Nationals and bronze medalist at the World Championships...

Then again in 2000 after being diagnosed HIV+...

Then again in 2004 after two total hip replacements...

Amanda

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Chen Lu had the most dramatic fall, then bounce back up...World Champ...then 24th or 25th place...then Olympic podium!

Paul Wylie's silver in 1992 was dramatic but her never had gone very high in the Senior Worlds scene, to begin.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Don't know if it's the BEST comeback...

But I guess now we need to add Irina to the list..:clap:

DG

33leprechaun

Rinkside
RealtorGal said:
Paul Wylie in '92. No one--absolutely no one--would have guessed he would win the silver medal (and in my opinion, it should have been gold). That was just the boost he needed to establish himself as a crowd favorite and a successful pro. :love: I still miss him.

I miss him too! What a great performance and exciting competition! IMHO, it should've been gold also.

kayskate

Rinkside
Thought I would mention Liz Manley in 1988. I doubt she was expected to win Oly silver. I read her autobio a few yrs ago. She went through some difficult times and came back to win that medal.

Kay

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
It was always my opinion that Paul and Liz should both have the gold.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I voted for Lu Chen at the 98 Olympics. She went from 25th to 3rd in one year, incredable! She perservered through all the turmoil and suffocating authority of her home country, and she did this all knowing it likely was only a comeback for one final year to do something, in a year that Kwan and Lipinski were always going to rule, and she had to motivate herself for that. She did and edged out skaters like Butyrskaya and Slutskaya for a medal, after tumbling to virtual obscurity.

ElvisStojkofan

Rinkside
Elvis!!

:rock: I voted for "other"

I think Elvis has had a lot of comebacks.

A memorable comeback season was the 1994-1995 season
where he had to withdrew from Canadians and he was
really injured, but at worlds he managed to skate a great performance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my NEW Website Layout ! :clap:
Elvis Stojko: Heart of Gold

sk8rgrl3

Rinkside
I have to pick Elaine Zayak at the 1994 Nationals. She missed the Olympic team by one spot. If you knew the type of shape she was in before that competitive season, you'd never have believed that she would be doing triple loops a year later. It was amazing!! It gets overshadowed because that was the Nationals where Nancy Kerrigan got whacked in the knee.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
sk8rgrl3 said:
I have to pick Elaine Zayak at the 1994 Nationals. She missed the Olympic team by one spot ... .

I'm just curious how you think that Elaine Zayak missed the Oly team by just one spot. IIRC, we could only send two women to the Olys that year and Zayak came in fourth at Nats. (I agree it was a great comeback, but I think the best comeback is Irina's)

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Why is Michelle on this list? What did she come back from? She finished 2nd at the previous Worlds, 1st at the Worlds before that. I adore Michelle, but I don't think that 2003 is a comeback year at all.

janetb

Rinkside
Okay why isn't Irena on this list, she has two great come backs 99-00 and 03-05.

So my vote is for Irena, she :rock: