Savchenko/Massot - Europeans 2017 - FS - Russian

Séguin/Bilodeau - 2014-2015 JGPF - FS - Spanish

Shibutani/Shibutani - 2016 Skate America - SD - Russian
Shibutani/Shibutani - 2016 Skate America - FD - Russian

Törn/Partanen - 2016 Skate Canada - SD - Russian

Virtue/Moir - 2016 Skate Canada - FD - Russian

Ashley Wagner - 2012 Worlds - FS - Finnish
Ashley Wagner - 2016 Skate America - SP - Russian

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How many times have you watched a skating video and wondered what the heck they are saying (mostly when they are speaking a language that you don't know; obviously it's not always clear what they mean even if you understand the words :biggrin:)

How about a thread where those of us who have the inclination & some time to waste can post transcripts/translations of videos for those of us who don't understand what the commentators are saying but would love to know - whether it's negative or positive. I think people would appreciate even just bits and pieces so the transcripts wouldn't even need to be very detailed (certainly not as detailed as mine below).

As the idea came from the Jason Brown fan fest thread, I can volunteer to start things off by copy-pasting a translation of Jason Brown's FS at 2015 Skate America as it was shown on Finnish TV. I did this just for fun for a friend. I don't have a video to accompany it, but it's something:

Jere Nurminen: Now here is a gentleman we did not see yesterday, because Jason Brown sort of messed up his short programme. He is only eighth, but despite that we must mention that he received the best presentation scores of the field yesterday. That means that he is an excellent so called all-around skater who is able to perform the most amazing things on skates. But is he able to perform the difficult technical elements today? That is the question.

Lady commentator: Jason truly is an artist on ice, his performances are always gorgeous. But now let's see how this quad will turn out.

Jere: No…

Lady: No, it is underrotated and ends in a fall.

Lady: He has not been performing the quad for very long; he has managed well for years with his strong triple Axels and triple-triple combinations, because in the PCS segment he has been pretty much unbeatable. This triple Axel is fine, in combination with a double toe. His camel position has a gorgeous twist (?) variation and change of edge on the first foot, and wonderful acceleration on the second foot.

Jere: And positions like this one are quite an unusual sight in men's skating.

Lady: What was most disappointing about yesterday is that due to his poor short programme we didn't get to see his step sequence (they only showed the top 6 SPs), and it was probably the best step sequence of the competition. But I don't think that this free programme's step sequence will be far from that either.

Lady: What I like about this step sequence are the changes of tempo and interpretation of the music. The tough requirements - at least 11 different steps, rotational directions, use of body movements and combining difficult turns - do not interfere with his performance.

Jere: He receives applause from the American audience for the step sequence, and deservedly.

Lady: Quite a difficult approach to this triple Axel…

Jere: No...

Lady: …from a change of edge, and this time there was not enough speed. This may tell us something about how demanding that step sequence is; it is energy-consuming, and more speed is needed going into the element right after it. However, the flying combination spin is not only incredibly difficult, it is also quite unique.

Lady: A fun little walley jump and some choctaw turns into a triple Lutz. It is nice to see a Russian split from a man, we do not get to see that very often. An easy-as-you-like-it triple flip-triple toe, and a double Axel. And the musical phrasing here really is begging for the choreographic sequence. This man has flexibility to share.

Lady: Gorgeous movements. (during the hydroblade, now you can hear that she is smiling)

Lady: A concerned look on his face, but yes, the triple loop is doable even at this speed. A triple Lutz, combined with a triple Salchow via a single loop. That is his three-jump combination. And the final combination spin included a layback position.

Jere: After this programme from Jason Brown I'm tempted to say that this kind of programme does not require quads...but the judges and scoreboards of course require them. One thing is clear: here is an excellent skater who delights us with his many skills, program components, interpretation, flexibility, step sequences... And if he is able to add the technical elements over the season, we're looking at quite a package. After all, we're talking about somebody who came in 4th at Worlds. It's an interesting situation: there are many of these male skaters in the US who struggle with the technical elements...I'm thinking about Jeremy Abbott, who does perform quads but quite often - as skillful as he is - it is the TES score that is his undoing. Evan Lysacek won Olympic Gold without a quad in 2010 and caused somewhat of a scandal, at least in the Russian media. So we're not seeing many reliable technicians coming from the US, except of course Max Aaron, who is yet to skate.

Lady: And even Finlandia Trophy's Adam Rippon belongs to this category, quad Lutz or no.

Jere: Yes, yes…159 for the free and 238 and change in total, all in all a decent score for Jason Brown for his GP debut.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like this idea and applaud anyone who takes on the task. Now let's jump right into it with some Trankov commentary!!! :devil:

Seriously though....thank you TMC!! For the thread and the translation.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll go ahead and put in a request if anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/soVGVnIu2Nk

I want to hug everyone on earth when she lands her 3-3 and Tat seems to capture that vibe too but maybe not. I honestly don't know what they're saying. :laugh:

Tavi...

Record Breaker

I want to hug everyone on earth when she lands her 3-3 and Tat seems to capture that vibe too but maybe not. I honestly don't know what they're saying. :laugh:

Maybe be it would help if you specify details with the link such as competition, date, program, contestant, commentator and language so if you don't know that language you can skip it.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
We had a thread like this before and it was a fantastic idea! I would be interested in hearing some translations of Fedor Klimov's commentary from SA. Obviously it's too much to ask for anyone to translate all of his comments, but maybe just for the Russian pairs and men, at least?

Fayruza

Match Penalty

I can translate that - but would you like the whole of the commentary or just the bit where Julia jumps her 3-3?

All she says at that moment is: "She's done it, atta girl!". And Grishin adds: "The audience applauds".

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can translate that - but would you like the whole of the commentary or just the bit where Julia jumps her 3-3?

All she says at that moment is: "She's done it, atta girl!". And Grishin adds: "The audience applauds".

Any gushing over Julia works for me!! Thanks :)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe be it would help if you specify details with the link such as competition, date, program, contestant, commentator and language so if you don't know that language you can skip it.

I was trying to trick anyone I could into watching it I admit :eek::

Fayruza

Match Penalty
I was trying to trick anyone I could into watching it I admit :eek::

I just knew it had to do with Yulia - and I knew which competition, intuitively. Would you like the rest of the gushing and the teary Tarasova repeating over and over that she'd hate such talents to get wasted? :)

YULIA LIPNITSKAIA.
Russian National Championship SP, 2015-2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soVGVnIu2Nk&feature=youtu.be

Grishin: the crowd's favourite all over the world and one of those athletes who's virtually a symbol of the current Russian Championship. Born in Yekaterinburg, Yulia Lipnitskaya, at her home city.
TAT: The star of our Olympic Games

TAT: (after Yulia's 3-3): "Well done, she's jumped it, atta girl!"
G: "The audience exploded with applause!"

(After Yulia's skated her routine) TAT: "Congratulations on your return, our dear star! We were rooting for you! We love you! We're happy you're back! Oh, I can't see this, she's skated herself into tears!
Gr: You look like an angel, Elvis' song goes, and it's true about Yulia Lipnitskaya. She's coped with her program.
TAT: She did! She's coped with herself!
Gr: She's in tears - everything was fine. The combination of two toeloops she couldn't jump at the practice before the SP was successful and the audience realised that it's all, everything got done...
TAT: The lutz with her arm up...
Gr: The lutz was fantastic - I can't remember such a lutz with Lipnitskaya!
TAT: It was techically good, different. And most importantly, she'll trust herself, she's back to her form, and Lyosha (Urmanov)... I'd love them to be a success, I want that so badly I'm ready to cry, because such talented girls shouldn't just disappear!
Gr: There's the lutz. Two Olympics Champions - Alexei Urmanov and Yulia Lipnitskaya...
TAT: They did it!
Gr: They've been working together for a very short time in Sochi. The city which was lucky for Lipnitskaya continues to take her to new heights.
TAT: She went clean, and she shows it. She's got quite an impish character
Gr: The home ice helps both Kovtun and Lipnitskaya - they produced perfect performances.
TAT then tells a story about a taxi driver who was happy Kovtun won the day before.
Gr: Just look how agitated Yulia is.
TAT: it's a good thing when you can burst into tears after your own program.
Gr: And now it's time to smile! She comes first, 73.77
TAT: she deserves it!
Gr: And she beats Tsurskaya and Pogorilaya in the technical mark! Wow!
TAT: No wonder! She's loved, she's taken care of 24 hours a day..."

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
Thank you so much, fayruza! For Julia & for Jason in advance :) )

TMC

Record Breaker
Any gushing over Julia works for me!! Thanks :)

I enjoy all kinds of gushing - even when the commentators are gushing over a skater whose actual skating I don't enjoy. I just feel so happy for a skater whose hard work is rewarded like that. Sometimes I try to imagine what the skater must think/feel when watching his/her own performances and listening to the commentary. That can sometimes be kind of heartbreaking, too :(

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As a tragic Plushy fan, I've always wanted to know what the commentator says after the amazing 2004 Russian Nationals Tribute to Njinsky - because he sure seems to have a lot to say whereas if I had just witnessed that I'd probably have just been cheering my head off like the rest of the crowd!

Here's a video of it: https://youtu.be/kkhn4KbisJc?t=5m17s

Hopefully it's understandable!

Fayruza

Match Penalty
JASON BROWN
Skate America 2016 LP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8D1pTt-KNQ&app=desktop

Yeah, Brown is facing some pressure, but he's a guy with a spirit, planning to jump a 4T, with brilliant programs and he's performing before a home crowd. He should succeed. With Rohene Ward at the sideboard.
(After Brown lands his 4T) He does it! (something barely audible then) Well, if even Brown started to jump quads... And not so long ago even Patrick Chan insisted that quads were not necessary - that was just a few years ago.
(After Jason has finished his program) Jason Brown's soft catlike movements put a spell on both spectators in the arena in Chicago and TV viewers. Yes, he was impressive! Even though there was just one quad, his technical mark is increasing to infinity.
I say, the season is starting well!
Yes! Just one, not three quad, and his mark is not that different from Shoma Uno's - why? If you take a look at it, only two jumps were made in the first half of the program and 6 jump elements in the second half. He got a bonus for each of them.
Including two 3Lz, 3F, a three jump combination,
Yes, just two jump elements - 4T and a combination of 3A-2T - are in the first half of the program, so six out of eight were made after the second half started.
And all the jump elements were awarded positive GOE, no serious mistakes, that's why the technical mark is quite high, and I think the component score will be quite high as well.
So Adam Rippon is due to skate in France, in Paris, as for Jason Brown, we'll see this gorgeous program in the final GP competition, in Japan, at the end of November, in over a month. There he'll compete with a jumping machine Nathan Chen with his quads, Yuzuru Hanyu, Nam Nguen again, Russia will have Mikhail Kolyada. Rohene Ward, Kori Ade and Jason Brown... He gets 182 points and he beats everyone in his LP apart from Shoma, and he comes second overall, which means he has quite a good chance to get into the FGP.

Last edited:

Fayruza

Match Penalty
As a tragic Plushy fan, I've always wanted to know what the commentator says after the amazing 2004 Russian Nationals Tribute to Njinsky - because he sure seems to have a lot to say whereas if I had just witnessed that I'd probably have just been cheering my head off like the rest of the crowd!

Here's a video of it: https://youtu.be/kkhn4KbisJc?t=5m17s

Hopefully it's understandable!

Tonight if I manage it. If not, is it OK to make you wait until Sunday? I have a very busy Friday and Saturday, unfortunately.
Which is good, since I'm getting stressed out about Skate Canada...