• Joe Louis, 25 straight title defenses over 11 years

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Edwin Moses, 122 straight 400-meter hurdles races

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Martina Navralilova, 6 straight Wimbledon titles

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
That's streak not streaker.

With Lance Armstrong about to win a record sixth straight Tour de France, the newpaper today listed some other famous streaks in the history of sports. Joe Louis was ranked first, Sonia Henie second, and Edwin Moses third in the newspaper poll.

Joe Dimaggio hitting safely in 56 straight games didn't count because it was accomplished all in one season.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I can't choose! They're all so incredible! I'd have to add Irina Rodnina to that mix--3 straight Olympic golds in pairs skating. :love:

mpal2

Final Flight
That was a tough one, but I went with Joe Louis based on the time frame he competed. They didn't say how long Edwin Moses competed when he won his races though.

The longer someone stays in and still stays on top, the more respect I have for their greatness.

Antilles

Medalist
I voted for Gretzky, but really, it was difficult to choose one. Rodnina would be a good addition. How many NBA championships did Michael Jordan and the Bulls win back to back?

For baseball, Eric Gagne and his save record would be a good one to add.

patsue1947

Rinkside
Edwin Moses! A tremendous athlete and a seemingly nice man--on and off the field. He totally dominated the hurdles! No scandals, no bad press, no big head, no "look at me" attitude he just ran his race and man-o-man could he run & jump--it was like watching poetry in motion. In today's age of doping and/or steroid allegations it would be great to have an Oly team made up of athletes like Edwin. ETA: In answer to a question from above--Edwin Moses won 2 olympic gold medals in the 400-meter hurdles, had a run of 9years, 9months 9days between losses and broke the world's record 4 times. It was once said his slow times were faster than most of his competitor"s fast times.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Being a Canadian - I had to vote for "the Great One" - Wane Gretsky. Hockey is such a physical game and certainly a tough sport to keep at the top of one's game as Wayne did. Wyane really is a symbol of Greatness here in Canada.