Ranking past Jr. Worlds podiums | Golden Skate

Ranking past Jr. Worlds podiums

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Though it would be fun to look back and rate which Jr. Worlds podiums in the last decade (2006-2016) ended up successful in seniors. Let's do top 3 for each discipline!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Junior_Figure_Skating_Championships -- < for reference.

Men
1.) 2015: What can I say you have two guys who managed to get a world medal (Boyang Jin) and a GPF medal/ratified 4F (Shoma Uno) in their debut senior season
2.) 2010: Hanyu...there's a case to put this at No. 1 with Gachniski getting a world medal in his debut senior season. Anyway, I'll put them second for now.
3.) 2012: Farris is retired (sadface) but he did have a 4CC medal. And Han has several 4CC medals. We'll see if Brown can hold his end of the bargain this season.

However 2014 (Nam Nguyen, Adien Pitkeev and Nathan Chen) might shake things up.

Ladies
1.) 2013 - Russian Sweep all world medalists: Lipnitskaya, Radionova and Pogorilaya
2.) 2011 and 2012 (tie): Both include a mix of Russian world/olympic medalists (Sotnikova, Tuktmysheva and Lipnitskaya)

However, we'll see if there's a case for the 2014 podium (Radionova, Sakhankovich and Medvedeva) or 2015 (Medvedeva, Sakhankovich, Higuchi). 2016 (Higuchi and Sotskova) might have a shot, but they are at a disadvantage since Honda isn't out of seniors yet.

Pairs:

1.) 2010 and 2011 (tie) - All three (Sui/Han; Takahashi/Tran and Stolbova/Klimov are world medalists -- and the later are Olympic medalists).
3.) 2012- Sui/Han and Yu/Jin simply cause the later made GPF two years in a row before spilting up. :(

Dance:
1.) 2006, no question. Virtue and Moir and Davis and White were both on this podium.
2.) 2007 - Bobrova/Soloviev & Weaver/Poje. 3 world medals.
3.) 2009- Shibutanis and Madison Chock, 4 world medals and numerous national senior medals between them. Since Madi got them with a different partner makes it tough to put them above the class of 2007.

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Thanks for starting this thread, it really is interesting to see who "made it" in seniors after medalling in jr. worlds. Sui/Han with 3 titles- dang. And they were still age eligible for juniors in the olympic season, lol. Along with S/K, a real junior to senior pairs success story. (Y/J- too sad to put into words :cry:) I feel like pairs is so tricky since there's so many variables like height difference changes, and whether the pair can get the harder sbs jumps(and you know, if your fed happens to be the csa).

TGee

Record Breaker
The 2015 pairs podium merits tracking IMO.

While Yu as world champion is with another partner now, she's still shining brightly....and Seguin/Bilodeau the silver medallists are rising fast...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The 2015 pairs podium merits tracking IMO.

While Yu as world champion is with another partner now, she's still shining brightly....and Seguin/Bilodeau the silver medallists are rising fast...

I agree. And I think the 2014 podium which also includes Yu/Jin and Tarasova/Mozorov is another one to keep track of. I put 2012 as third because Sui/Han are World medalists...

Thanks for starting this thread, it really is interesting to see who "made it" in seniors after medalling in jr. worlds. Sui/Han with 3 titles- dang. And they were still age eligible for juniors in the olympic season, lol. Along with S/K, a real junior to senior pairs success story. (Y/J- too sad to put into words :cry:) I feel like pairs is so tricky since there's so many variables like height difference changes, and whether the pair can get the harder sbs jumps(and you know, if your fed happens to be the csa).

I think the same applies to dance...but I think you can also look at the skaters as individuals too, which is why Madison Chock/Shibutanis ranked high. Who knows maybe the 2010 Ice Dance podium could end up being pretty awesome --I had them a close 4th just because of I/K's Bronze medal. Maybe I/K's separate partnerships will work out long-term and Khailvan could be nice with Sara Hurtado.

Also I was a bit lazy and only went back 10 years, but people could rank all time (which would be 1976 on).

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Ladies
1.) 2013 - Russian Sweep all world medalists: Lipnitskaya, Radionova and Pogorilaya

That competition was really annoying, though. They all messed up in the SP and there is no way at all that Pogorilaya deserved to be on the podium over Samantha Cesario.

andromache

Record Breaker
The last Junior Worlds ladies podium to contain at least one skater who would go on to win more than one world medal (at least so far) is 2006, with both Mao and Yuna on that podium. Of course, later podiums are at a disadvantage because they haven't had long careers yet.

Chinese junior world medalists seem to have a very good success rate at seniors. US pairs do not. Lots of JW medalists who never got close to a World's podium. Russian pairs seem more likely to split and find more success with another partner (like Trankov and Lubov and Yuko.) Surprisingly few Canadians.

Ladies seems to translate pretty easily into short-term success, but not necessarily long-term. Ice dance JW medalists seem to have the highest likelihood of senior success. Men's is too hit or miss. A few guys who have gone on to be extremely successful, a few guys who have dropped off the map entirely.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
3.) 2012: Farris is retired (sadface) but he did have a 4CC medal.

*bawls* Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy :sad21:

2013 - Joshua, Jason, Shotaro; we know Joshua's story, but Shotaro's? He seems to have come to a crashing halt after that season. Jason, of course, will just have to go out and stand on all the podiums he and Josh should have shared. :sad21:

TGee

Record Breaker
Surprisingly few Canadians.

Good observation....

There is a policy reason for that...Skate Canada has viewed the JPG as one of the principal mechanisms for Canadian Juniors to get international experience. So, the focus had been on using Juniors as a training ground for seniors rather than on seeking the Juniors podiums for their own sakes...

But with Nam Nguyen and Seguin/Bilodeau doing well in 2015, there seems to be some shift in emphasis. [Wish I could track down the 2015 news release that mentions this....] And there is recognition that higher placement at Junior worlds mean more skaters getting international experience at the junior level....

As well, a new national summer series in Canada is creating more domestic strength-on-strength competition from pre-Novice up. And 3 Canadian novice men went to ISU novice international competitions this winter after nationals...

So, you may see more competitiveness from Canada at the Junior level down the line.

-----------------------------------

Editing to add.....

On the novices, Stephen Gogolev.... won't turn 12 until December, won't qualify as an ISU Junior until the 2018-19 season, has been landing consistent 3As and 3A combos since nationals at least. Has quads as well. So expect to see him on the Juniors podiums in a few years, and seniors from 2021-22 on.

Sincere hopes from all in Canada that he avoids serious injury and hangs in to reach international competition at the senior level. He is coached by Orser, who was a 3A prodigy as a Junior himself, and who is quoted as saying that he limits the number of 3A and quad attempts per day to prevent injury.

Last edited:

blackey

On the Ice
boyang and shoma are simply just turning senior too late compare to the people who have same level of talent. Nam is younger than both of them and turned sr before them.
But anyways I don't think there is really a point to talking about the success in junior time, whether you can have a great junior year or not is totally depending on timing and who is competing with you in the field.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
boyang and shoma are simply just turning senior too late compare to the people who have same level of talent. Nam is younger than both of them and turned sr before them.
But anyways I don't think there is really a point to talking about the success in junior time, whether you can have a great junior year or not is totally depending on timing and who is competing with you in the field.

It's just for fun. Nor am I claiming there is some correlation between Jr. success...and senior success absolutely, obviously some are late bloomers. But it is fun to see which junior podiums turned out in the senior level.

Weathergal

Medalist
It's just for fun. Nor am I claiming there is some correlation between Jr. success...and senior success absolutely, obviously some are late bloomers. But it is fun to see which junior podiums turned out in the senior level.

Fun thread, Mrs. P! Would also be interesting sometime to chart how many GPF, 4CCs, Euros, Worlds, Olympics, etc. medalists had relatively little Juniors success.