"Speedy"???? | Golden Skate

"Speedy"????

K

Kasey

"Speedy"????

Okay, so why does everyone refer to Ottavio Cinquata as "Speedy"??? The only things I can think of is that A) he is from a speed skating, as opposed to figure skating background or B) it is an ethnic slur referring to one mouse named Speedy Gonzalez (not very PC).

So, being relatively new to the "behind the scenes" figure skating world, and to the forum stuff, what DOES it mean?

Kasey

N

Nadya Lyubova

Re: "Speedy"????

As far as I know it's because of his speed skating background.

L

Ladskater

Kasey:

As far as I know the reference here is to do with his background in speed skating since the ISU governs both speed skating and figure skating. I never heard the reference before until I joined Golden Skate. As much as I may not care for Ottavio Cinquata's politics I do think it is a tad disprespectful to refer to a grown man as "speedy."

Ladskater

A

Allie Katz

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>As much as I may not care for Ottavio Cinquata's politics I do think it is a tad disprespectful to refer to a grown man as "speedy."[/quote]

Well, it's *supposed* to be disrespectful. (And more than a tad.)

After all, he's been consistently disrespectful to elite level figure skaters, skating officials, skating fans, and the sport of skating in general. (MUCH more than a tad.)

I don't think being a "grown man" is a particularly remarkable achievement, and not by itself worthy of "respect". There are literally *billions* of "grown men" on the planet. Some of them are jerks. Cinquanta is one of them.

L

Ladskater

Allie Katz :

I expected a rebuff on my "disrespectful" statement. Still no matter what we may think of someone it's not polite to call them names.

Ladskater

S

Shallah.K

Another reason people stick with $peedy

is because it is easier to remember than Ottavio (or sometimes in Octavio) Cinquanta.

K

Kasey

Re: Another reason people stick with $peedy

Thanks for responding! I don't know much about the politics of figure skating, or Cinquata or whatever....that was the reason for the question. I didn't even know until coming here that the ISU was both speed and figure skating! How lame is that???

Kasey

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:navy;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">When Speedy earns my respect for honesty and integrity, I'll refer to him as "Mr. Cinquanta." Until that moment (and I'm not holding my breath), SPEEDY it is.</span> :evil:

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>is because it is easier to remember than Ottavio (or sometimes in Octavio) Cinquanta[/quote]

it's also easier to type/spell

C

CuteGreekGoddess

<span style="color:blue;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:x-small;"><strong>
hehe that is a good point Toni LOL </strong></span>