Who is your all-time favourite lady skater? | Golden Skate

Who is your all-time favourite lady skater?

Who's your favourite?

• Janet Lynn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Peggy Fleming

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Dorthy Hamil

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Katerina Witt

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Kristi Yamiguchi

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Oksana Bauil

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Tara Lipinski

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Michelle Kwan

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • Sasha Cohen

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Sarah Hughes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Antilles

Medalist
I voted for Katarina Witt. She's always had so much charisma on the ice. I love to watch her.

Germanice

On the Ice
I've voted for Oksana Baiul - she's a one in a million, she simply oozes charisma!

But where are Lu Chen, Irina Slutskaya, Maria Butyrskaya, Midori Ito,
Surya Bonaly, Shizuka Arakawa, Yuka Sato ...???? :confused:

Anke

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of the ladies listed, I would say Kristi. My all-time favorite lady is Midori Ito. I :love: Yuka Sato, too.

It's easy for me to vote for Michelle since I believe she is the most distinguished skater ever. When I look for 19th century ballet, I go to see American Ballet Theatre. The blades just don't do it. When I look for acrobatic body movements, I watch Cirque du Soleil and Gymnastics. Why bother with the grimaces and blades?

When I look for beautiful natural skating I look to Michelle. She has sufficient ballet line and an incredible change edge spiral (can't be done on toe) and a great Y spin. That's enough acrobatics.

And yes there are many skaters I like but not equally to MK.

Joe

Chrystia Mee

Rinkside
ice_princess said:
Who do you like the best out of the ones listed? :)
My all time favourite skater always has been and always will be Michelle kwan. For one she's the reason I even like figure skating. I saw her in 1994 at Nationals when I was about 7 ( my parents had the competition on because of curiosity over the Nancy/Tonya etc) and I thought Michelle was fabulous. I liked her more than any of the other skaters I saw there. I've loved her eversince. She's beautiful to watch. She's got a very sophisticated style and puts more heart into her performances than any other skater. She's the complete package of a female skater in my mind, graceful and flexible with excellent presentation with solid technical skills to go with it.

Germanice

On the Ice
ice_princess said:
I couldn't fit them all and I forgot to put other as one of the options.
I know. ;)
Just thought people should realize there are also great Lady skaters in Europe and Asia. :D

Anke

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I feel the same way as Joe! Michelle just does it for me and always has like no other. But, Chen Lu came very close and is probably my second favorite. I also love Kristi Yamaguchi and Midori Ito.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
My vote went to Dorothy Hamill. Those deep, deep edges, the big smile, the versatility, the charm. She had it all including the Olympic gold medal & longevity as a professional. She's still magical on the ice & that's without triple jumps! :love:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
From those mentioned, my vote goes to Oksana Baiul. I have to add though, that I considered everyone based on their eligible career only. Outside the list I remember really having liked Karen Magnussen´s skating very much.

Concerning today´s eligible skaters I became a huge fan of Shizuka Arakawa this season. She has the technical side and also a really great presentation talent. Will be really interesting to see how she fares next season. On the other hand if matters don´t go quite in the expected way, I will not feel alarmed, because only it really counts what she is doing during the Olympic season and especially at the Olympics.

Last edited:

floskate

On the Ice
Only 2 non - US skaters on this list? :confused:
I don't normally agree with Germanice over anything, but this time I have to ;)
So... Iadore MK and Janet, but the one skater who had such a complete profound effect on me was the ever legendary Midori Ito :love: :love: :love:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
It was close for me.....for the first time, I chose Michelle over Janet........I can't believe I did that.........I guess Janet is my over-all fav, and Michelle is my current fav.................. :) 42