Help with bracket turns | Golden Skate

Help with bracket turns

ruki06

Rinkside
So I was just taught how to do bracket turns the other day so I went to practice them today. For some reason, Im having troubling ending on my outside edge so my brackets turn into rockers (?? Inside edge to inside edge). Any tips are appreciated!

vlaurend

Final Flight
You didn't say which type of bracket you are doing, but it sounds like forward inside bracket? Whether it's an inside bracket or outside bracket, the no. 1 thing to remember on any bracket is to keep your torso facing the same direction the entire time. Let's say you are doing a bracket on a hockey circle and you are starting your entrance edge facing the side wall of the rink. You want to keep your face, torso and pelvis facing that same wall as you approach the top of your lobe (the closest you will come to the wall), execute the turn, and exit away from the wall, still on the same lobe/circle. When doing a series of brackets on lobes down the length of a rink, your face and torso should be facing the side wall the entire time so that you feel like a crab moving sideways down the length of the rink. And you should also feel a little like a crab because you need to keep your free hip open on brackets in order to keep your edge checked. Here, the skater is doing a series of forward inside to back outside brackets. See how she keeps her face and torso facing the wall as she does the brackets down the length of the rink? https://youtu.be/F7GgtER6juo?t=48s

Last edited:

ruki06

Rinkside
Sorry, I forgot to mention but yes- I'm currently working on my forward inside brackets! Thanks for the tip on having your torso face the same direction- I never knew that! The video was also helpful. I'm going to have to try that at practice tomorrow. :)