Leonard Cohen | Golden Skate

Leonard Cohen

Manitou

Medalist
.. has passed.
He is now with his beloved Marianne Ihlen..

I have been waiting for several decades for someone to skate to Suzanne. My favorite for it was Josee Chuinard, but she never performed to that song.
So I am still waiting...
Maybe now..

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I was just thinking of starting a thread... found this. Thanks Manitou!

Terrible loss. :(

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I was going to write: Farewell, Leonard Cohen, but I see someone beat me to the punch. Anyway, sad news for Canada and the world of music. One of Canada's greatest poets, songwriters to ever grace our nation. I am glad I saw him in concert here in Vancouver a couple of years ago, it was a privilege. My favourite Cohen song will always be his hauntingly beautiful "Suzanne"

Farewell Leonard, you will be missed! :sad4:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/leonard-cohen-toronto-reaction-1.3846717

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/leonard-cohen-dead-at-82-w449792

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
One of the greatest songwriters of the last 100 years, as well as probably the most dapper (his father, after all, was a haberdasher).

So Long, Leonard C. You will be much missed.

Manitou

Medalist
In 2016, when Marianne was dying, Cohen wrote to her: "I will follow you very soon".
And he kept his word..

Last edited:

Manitou

Medalist
My favourite Cohen song will always be his hauntingly beautiful "Suzanne"

As I am watching "Imagine" on CoR, I think Elena would be perfect to skate to "Suzanne".
Can someone hint her this idea for a gala performance?

luckyguy

Match Penalty
.. has passed.
He is now with his beloved Marianne Ihlen..

I have been waiting for several decades for someone to skate to Suzanne. My favorite for it was Josee Chuinard, but she never performed to that song.
So I am still waiting...
Maybe now..

I can imagine Patrick Chan to skate to this.

Manitou

Medalist
I can imagine Patrick Chan to skate to this.

You know what? I never thought of it. I always imagined that song skated by a woman (acting Suzanne), maybe a dance team, but never by a single man. Now I am thinking what story it would have to be if it's a guy..
It would have to be definitely a gala performance, not a competition. From existing skaters I was thinking Elena or Mao. But Patrick? Yes, he has a personality, but what story would it be?

luckyguy

Match Penalty
You know what? I never thought of it. I always imagined that song skated by a woman (acting Suzanne), maybe a dance team, but never by a single man. Now I am thinking what story it would have to be if it's a guy..
It would have to be definitely a gala performance, not a competition. From existing skaters I was thinking Elena or Mao. But Patrick? Yes, he has a personality, but what story would it be?
It would be the same story Leonard Cohen tells us:

Suzanne takes you down to her place near the river
You can hear the boats go by
And you can spend the night beside her
And you know, that she's half crazy

But that's why you want to be there
And she feeds you tea and oranges
That come all the way from China

And just when you mean to tell her
That you have no love to give her
Then she gets you on her wavelength
And she lets the river answer
That you've always been her lover

Manitou

Medalist
It would be the same story Leonard Cohen tells us:

Suzanne takes you down to her place near the river
You can hear the boats go by
And you can spend the night beside her
And you know, that she's half crazy

But that's why you want to be there
And she feeds you tea and oranges
That come all the way from China

And just when you mean to tell her
That you have no love to give her
Then she gets you on her wavelength
And she lets the river answer
That you've always been her lover

Maybe I am limited, but I think this story is for a woman.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Maybe I am limited, but I think this story is for a woman.

It is an interesting question.:) I interpreted the song as a song by a man about a woman. But I am not a native English speaker. It exists by the way a cover with the same text by Judy Collins.;), so it is naturally possible that a female skater skates to this.

Wikipedia:

"Suzanne" was inspired by Cohen's platonic relationship with Suzanne Verdal, the then-girlfriend of sculptor Armand Vaillancourt. Its lyrics describe the rituals that they enjoyed when they met: Suzanne would invite Cohen to visit her apartment by the harbour in Montreal, where she would serve him Constant Comment tea, and they would walk around Old Montreal past the church of Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours, where sailors were blessed before heading out to sea.

Manitou

Medalist
I know this story. It's a known story. But the main character is the woman and the introspective mood of the story is around her. I am not sure how how to draw the choreography if it were a single man performing.