Thread: New Tanith and Ben articles on citizenship, with pictures!

Hybrid View

On the Ice

New Tanith and Ben articles on citizenship, with pictures!

http://www.detnews.com/2004/wayne/04...b03-223598.htm
    http://www.freep.com/news/statewire/...0_20040727.htm
    The articles are almost exactly the same, but it's a good read. Excerpt:

The skaters have caught the attention of U.S. Rep. Taddeus McCotter, R-Livonia, who has sent a letter on Belbin’s behalf to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Bureau to help expedite her citizenship process. It is unclear at this time whether that will help.

“We will continue working with Ms. Belbin and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Bureau to help her realize her dreams of becoming an American citizen and an Olympian,” McCotter said in a statement.

As for the pictures - Ben now sports a goatee, and Tanith has the curly hair we saw at Worlds and is letting her dark roots show through. They both look great.

I love the pic of Ben he looks very mature I think anyway

Medalist
    Thanks for that link Littlewild 1! I like both of their new looks, especially Benjamin's with the goatee.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    The goatee is an EXCELLENT look on Ben, and as for Tanith -- well, she'd pretty much look gorgeous with even a bright blue buzzcut.... :D

Custom Title
    Wow, they both look great. I think Tanith looks so natural and very beautiful that way. I hope they can compete at the Olympics. What a shame it would be if they were physically able but were ineligible because of something like this. They certainly look like they will be definite contenders for an Olympic medal...I hope they get the chance to prove themselves. At any rate, I like that they are being so positive about the situation and that they feel content to wait until 2010. However, I know it would have to hurt like hell if they were to win the 2006 U.S. title and not be able to go to Italy!

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by BronzeisGolden
    I hope they get the chance to prove themselves. At any rate, I like that they are being so positive about the situation and that they feel content to wait until 2010. However, I know it would have to hurt like hell if they were to win the 2006 U.S. title and not be able to go to Italy!
    Duh. I honestly do not understand what the hold-up is here for Tanith to get her United States citizenship. Why isn't the US Olympic Committee and/or the US Figure Skating Association hounding the Naturalization/Immigration Office, or whoever it is that grants naturalized US citizenship, so see that this is taken care of immediately? Come on, already! Duh.

If Tanith doesn't get her citizenship, I am going to be very disappointed. :(

We can land men on the moon but we can't do something as routine as this???

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I know Tanith is a boon to the US figure skating team, but it would have been nice to keep her here in Canada; we seem to be low right now on male partners in ice dance. Too bad. Oh well, best of luck to both of them.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Personally, I think that country switching is the biggest crock of s*#t. If the Duchesneays just had to leave Canada, why did they place so far above the other Canadians from 89 to 92? It's never made much sense to me.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by berthes ghost
    Personally, I think that country switching is the biggest crock of s*#t. If the Duchesneays just had to leave Canada, why did they place so far above the other Canadians from 89 to 92? It's never made much sense to me.

First of all, it had to do with politics in Canadian dance judging; they never got the support there that they deserved. Secondly, skating for France in those days was not exactly detrimental; IMO the French were great at doing some serious deal-making. Anyone besides me find it odd that in order for the Duchesnays to continue skating for France, they had to be 8th at Euros and 12th at Worlds in 86 (87?) and THOSE ARE EXACTLY THE PLACES THEY ENDED UP IN?? What a coincidence! In retrospect, I didn't trust the French federation any further than I could throw them. Personally, I thought the Duchesnays were terrific, but I'm sure they had a little help to get where they did, whether they knew about it or not. A lot of terrific dance couples don't get that help.

Custom Title
    People waiting to receive US citizenship are NOT in a queue. Tanith's citizenship being accelerated will not cause anyone else's citizenship to be delayed.

Tanith filed paperwork for her green card back in 2000, and under normal circumstances, she would have gotten the card that same year, and after a 5-year wait, she would have become a citizen in 2005, well before Torino. But INS lost some of her paperwork, which delayed issuance of the green card. Then 9/11 stalled the process for everyone. Tanith didn't get her green card until 2002.

Under the circumstances, I see nothing wrong with accelerating the process in her case. Tanith and her family have lived in the US since 1998, and by 2006 she will have lived in the US for 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by berthes ghost
    Tanith and Ben didn't just switch countries. One of them had to switch in order for them to skate together. I don't think that doing everything to skate with a compatible partner is a "crock of s*#t".

As to Tanith's citizenship -- I, too, agree that the fact that she has filed for Green Gard more than 5 years prior to 2006 makes a difference. Technically, INS would not be breaking their rules, but only correcting a prior mistake.

Custom Title

citizenship

Perhaps instead of lobbying immigration, the Olympic Committee ought to be lobbied to change the rule to match Worlds - that only one member of the team needs to be a citizen.

There is a precedent, BTW. In equestrian sports, no one cares one whit about the citizenship of one member of the partnership. Neigh!!!

Linny