Can you tell edge quality by photos? | Golden Skate

Can you tell edge quality by photos?

lulu

Final Flight
I'm wondering if it is possible to see the quality of the edges in still photographs?
Or are photographs not good indicators?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
depends on teh photograph... if it's in focus and crisp and clear then you can :)

shine

Record Breaker
Rarely. IMO one has to watch the skater SKATE in motion to judge his edge quality.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Agree what Shine said. I don't think a still picture will tell you anything about the edge quality. It may show you a snap shot when a skater hit the position, but don't really tell if the edge is wobling or scratching. The steady and smooth edge in a motion show the true control of the skater, not the snapshot in a stilled frame.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
For the most part, I agree with Shine and mzheng. But there are exceptions. The one I'm thinking of specifically was of Rohene Ward doing a spiral. You could see how scratchy his edge was by the amount of ice flying all over. But for the most part, nope, you need to watch them skate.

Laura :)

Gipson

Rinkside
PrincessLeppard said:
The one I'm thinking of specifically was of Rohene Ward doing a spiral. You could see how scratchy his edge was by the amount of ice flying all over.
Wasn't that one of Robin Cousins' trademarks where he would purposely make ice fly during a spiral? Maybe that's what Rohene was doing?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
lulu said:
I'm wondering if it is possible to see the quality of the edges in still photographs?
Or are photographs not good indicators?

This is really "food for thought"... the answer is yes & no. I have skating manuals with pictures of skaters showing the proper stance to execute a move, such as a 3 turn or outside/inside edges; however, edges are so finite, that judges actually used to get down on their hands and knees to examine them. It looked odd, but that was the way they did it way back when!!! However, if ones body line is exact the edges will be "textbook " quality. Poor edges are usually a result of wrong posture or lack of concentration and attention to detail.

Good question.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I agree that it depends on the photograph, and also what particular movement is being done while the photograph is being taken.

What I find interesting is that if you look at photos of skaters from the 50s and 60s, you very often can clearly see very high edge quality; many of them are tilting so far to one side that logically they should be on their butts, but they still manage to maintain that edge and stay upright -- that's extremely high edge quality, the likes of which you rarely see today.

Johnny Coop - Yes, indeed, those 50/60's skaters had the edges. Much because of the school figures right up to Hammil. Maybe the lutz was only a double in those days but it was a clear peerfect take off edge. Today I would give Yuka Sato with the best edging in figure skating.

Photography is tought, I agree with the poster who spoke of the lean and what the skater was doing with that lean. There is a lot of posing in photographs.

Joe