Thread: "Adagio for Strings"

SkateFan4Life

"Adagio for Strings"

In my opinion, one of the all-time emotional, heartwrenching pieces of music for skaters to perform to is Barber's "Adagio for Strings". This piece of music was chosen by Judy Blumberg and Michael Siebert (former US ice dance champions and three-time World bronze medalists) for a competitive routine after they had turned professional. I saw this routine, and it was mesmorizing - just beautifully skated, with a lot of emotion.

I'm also recalling that "Adagio for Strings" was part of the sountrack for the Vietnam War movie "Platoon", and this music was aired during one of the more gruesome battlefield scenes. I think of our men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan, with the mounting casualties, and this music automatically comes to mind.

This isn't meant to be a "political post", folks. No sermon intended.

Medalist
    Ah, I know what you mean about Adagio for Strings. That is a very beautiful but haunting piece. Seem like that one Russian dance team (OGM in 1988, I believe, I could be wrong though) skated to that at Skates of Gold in 1995 or something like that.

Go NJ Devils
    For me "Adagio for Strings" is forever the music that played when Kennedy lay in state, and I've never seen an extra-musical performance that had the power to displace that image.

Custom Title
    This is supposed to be Matt Savoie's short program music for this season (it's listed in his USFSA bio) - choreographed by Tom Dickson.

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia
    This is supposed to be Matt Savoie's short program music for this season (it's listed in his USFSA bio) - choreographed by Tom Dickson.
    There's a techno version by William ORbit that was done very well. I think that's the one Matt will use.

Natalia Bestemianova & Andrei Bukin had an interesting dance to this song. Very nice piece.

Extinction is Forever 4dogknight's Avatar
    I have to go along with Hockeyfan on this. I went into Amazon, only because I didn't want to hunt down the CD, listened to the sample and the image of people passing by the coffin in the rotunda instantly popped into my mind.

I associate places and events with music and I really hope Matt doesn't use this music because I'll probably be sobbing all through his routine.

4dk