Favorite Skaters of All Time | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Favorite Skaters of All Time

Early (and now and forever): the one and only Toller. And the skater who took most advantage of the door Toller opened, John Curry.

Middle era: Christopher Bowman

Now: Jason Brown

Early: Dick Button

Middle: Toller Cranston

Late: Todd Eldredge :)

To me (I don't know anything about art, but I know what I like ;) ), Toller Cranston and John Curry were contrasting opposites. Cranston wanted to explore the possibilities of the ice medium, while Curry wanted to bring ballet to ice. You never knew what Cranston was going to come up with next, while Curry, even in his professional shows and "modern dance" exhibitions, did not drift too far from the classical.

Oops. Did I just hijack the thread again?

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

To me (I don't know anything about art, but I know what I like ;) ), Toller Cranston and John Curry were contrasting opposites. Cranston wanted to explore the possibilities of the ice medium, while Curry wanted to bring ballet to ice. You never knew what Cranston was going to come up with next, while Curry, even in his professional shows and "modern dance" exhibitions, did not drift too far from the classical.

I still watch John Curry's Don Quijote! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z79TMsYRnEc&sns=em

mary01

Final Flight
Mao Asada - I always found figure skating a beautiful and elegant sport, but only after i watched Mao Asada in 2010 did it really make me hooked with her amazing skating, I just loove everything about her skating, the technical content she through most of her career displayed always made me speechless, love the way she executed it with such easy and lightness, she also is the female skater with my favourite steps, spins, and spirals, love the big variety of elements, positions and combinations she can do, technical elements and amazing SS aside, i also loove her skating style it's old school, elegant, classical and sophisticated

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My favorite skaters:

Ladies: Sasha Cohen (many others from the 2002-2006 time frame but Sasha has always been my favorite)

Men: Alexei Yagudin (many others from the 2002-2006 time frame)

Pairs: Shen & Zhao (many others from the 2002-2006 time frame but Shen & Zhao were special)

Dance: Davis & White

charmblade

Final Flight
Ladies: Sasha Cohen
Men: Daisuke Takahashi

I didn't really started following dance and pairs until the last few years, so I don't really feel like i can pick a favorite "of all time," but my current favs are

Dance: Shibs
Pairs: Sui/Han

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You know, I don't think I've ever seen the one and only Dick Button *skate*. Wouldn't that have been grand?

Yes, Toller and John Curry had quite different styles. And I was in no good mood originally when Curry highjacked 1976. But Toller's programs could indeed be, well, an acquired taste. Is here the place to say I never really liked "Strawberry Ice"?:slink:

Hijacking threads is what I do:laugh:

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
women: Michelle Kwan (she skated from the heart)/ Mao Asada (NO ONE can move their body like Mao, she is a dream)

men: Evgeni Plushenko

pairs: hmmmm......N/A

dance: HANDS DOWN Virtue and Moir!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I cannot really say I have an all-time fav. I tend to have a fav skater during a two years' time, and I fav another one.
Here is my list for ladies: Mao around 2010, Liza T (junior time) in 2011-12, and then Radio, and then Evgenia, and now it is Anna. I think I suffer from aesthetic fatigue. Once I am used to a skater's style, it is not that exciting for me anymore, unless that skater brings something new each year.

For men, it is different, since I pay less attention, and less aesthetic fatigue. They are Yagudin, Pat Chan, and Takahashi.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Ladies: Slutskaya

Men: Plushenko

Dance: Grishuk & Platov

Pair: Gordeeva & Grinkov

Yes..i'm russian, so what? :p:p:laugh:
:agree: good taste!:biggrin:

maybe I too shold break the tops by being from my country & Intl
It would be fairer

My ppl
  • Berezhnaya Siharulidze, K/S
  • Plushy Yags
  • Irina Slu Liza T
  • Lena/Nikita :drama:

International
  • Shen & Zhao, Pang/Tong
  • Yuzu, Daisuke
  • Sasha Cohen, Carolina
  • V/M

Last edited:

christinaskater

Medalist
I think with 2 different retired skaters, we could go on and on about comparing them. I think we should just stop and appreciate the beauty of each.

I want to share some love with Akiko Suzuki as well :luv17: I think her last programs or "swan songs" were a perfect ending for her career.

She's my favourite

christinaskater

Medalist
This thread may have been done before and I apologize for any repeat- I did a search and couldn't find anything recent.

Who are your favorite skaters of all time in each discipline, PLEASE ONLY PICK ONE! I know it's hard to do, but if you reaaaaally only had to pick one who would it be? You can explain your choice but please only choose one per discipline.

For me,

Ladies: Akiko Suzuki- it pains me to choose anyone but the Kween but Akikos beautiful skating combined with everything she overcame personally is inspiring.

Men: Jason Brown

Pairs: Maxim Marinin and Tatiana Totmianina

Dance: the Shibs (they made me start paying attention to ice dance)

Excellent choices

dreamsk8

On the Ice
Ladies:Akiko Suzuki- She has such a passion and love of the sport and her skating was stunningly beautiful
Men: Johnny Weir- I really liked him as a skater he was really good and so graceful
Pairs: never watched pairs much sorry
Dance: Davis/White- they made ice dancing exciting, fun, and fresh

ragdoll

On the Ice
Hard to pick among the many great skaters but thought I'd try two in each discipline ...

Past:
Men: Victor Petrenko, Stephan Lambiel
Ladies: Sasha Cohen, Maria Butyrskaya
Pairs: Mishkutenok/Dmitriev, Bereshnaya/Sikharulidze
Dance: Torvill/Dean, Grischuk/Platov

...and many more.

Current:
Men: Patrick Chan, Xavier Fernandez
Ladies: Evgenia Medvedeva, Mao Asada
Pairs: Savchenko/Massot, Stolbova/Klimov
Dance: Papadakis/Ciceron, Virtue/Moir

fure

Rinkside
Ladies: I can't choose between Mao Asada, Liza Tuktamysheva, and Carolina Kostner...
Men: one and only Plushenko :cool: :rock:
Pairs: Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze and Kavaguti/Smirnov
Dance: Pechalat/Bourzat and Davis/White

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Oh boy... since when did this thread turn into a kwan vs kim thread. Different skaters pros and cons. No one is perfect and fav skaters does not need to be best or better ok? Figure skating is a sport where best skater may not always win. Oranges are not the only fruit nor are apples and pears but all are beautiful delicious fruits in the garden of eden. Lets just feel the blessings shall we.

For me their legacy and influence are just as important than what they are able to achieve. I see little michelles and yunas everywhere and that is so cute.

People are just jealous at Yuna for being close to Michelle. :laugh::dev3::laugh:

Anyway,
Ladies: Yuna
Men: Patrick
Ice Dance: Virtue/Moir
Pairs:....hmmm I haven't decided about this yet.

Sam L

Medalist

John Curry's contribution to Figure Skating is phenomenal in particular about bringing ballet and the show business side of it to the ice. He'll have to be like my second favourite skater ever after Patrick. Or equal favourite. :laugh: It's too hard to just pick one favourite. :laugh:

Last edited: