Asian Winter Games 2017, 23 - 26 Feb | Page 41 | Golden Skate

Asian Winter Games 2017, 23 - 26 Feb

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
Just finished watching all the Mens SP. It's going to be a nailbiter for the free. Still think Uno is going to win it courtesy of high PCS and home ice, but who knows?

CONGRATS to Han! Han has almost a Yuzu quality out there, it's a pity that he is still struggling with the tech. I always think that it is probably his mentality that is affecting him; it's quite easy to think you are not good enough and lose motivation during hard times. I've been there, and it is not fun. I hope that this will be a start for him to throw everything he's got in every single outing from now on, and most importantly, project confidence. After all, his skating is to die for.

Shoma: to be honest, wasn't feeling it. Score is borderline acceptable for me, but that 4F GOE though. Also sort of want him to not put up a "I'm in pain" face and go for a Hanyu or Han like "happy/energetic" program, because I feel like his fluidity in his crossovers is the only thing getting him high PCS.

Jin: A pleasure to watch as always. I hope he becomes more consistent and not kill himself with the upgraded tech, because his skating is, for a lack of a better word, not pretty. His body is still quite stiff and can't move limbs like Han can. Relying on energetic programs seasons helps mask that, but judges can see through it. Work on those extensions because the current landing positions don't warrant higher GOEs. Transitions are also desperately needed and can help with GOEs. AND WORK ON YOUR SPINS. GO TO ORSER OR SOMEONE FOR THEM. PLEASE. At this point, this is probably too much to ask for, but I want to see a completely different Boyangster by 2022!

Mura: Glad to see another clean performance from Mura, although he tends to headcase in the FS. Sad he won't be going to Worlds.

Ten: Kind of feel bad for him. I feel like he is in the same situation as Han is. Let's see if he can prove us wrong in the FS.

GOGOGOGOGO PAIRS AND LADIES TONIGHT!!!

Last edited:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I'm now re-watching (and watching what I missed) videos from today's competitions and they come with the absolutely stellar commentary. From what I read earlier today, there's gonna be a lot of mentions of wobbling, enough to make a drinking game out of it?

Edit: OMG, his commentary is SO bad. Technical points/numbers, wobble(s), repeat ad nauseum.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Well that's good to hear! Not ready for him to retire yet. :biggrin:

hello Mrs. P, myself I doubt that FS world and all enthusiasts will be ever ready for Yuzuru going retired...This kind of unique talent, determination and minset of true champion - regardless of results - is a rare gem and if found, it is cherished and becomes an integral part of the reality. I think he'll stick post 2018 as ambitious perfectionist he is, still hungry for more, even having so much achieved already at such young age

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
have re-watched some of Men's programs and boy - Brendan and Julian were ON FIRE!!! Brendan went strides forward this season, there's so much more easiness in his skating, movement, he's more engaged in music, performance aspects and became more refined 'all around'. And ofc his technique is definitely more stable and effective to watch. This kind of jazzy, upbeat stuff is right up his alley I feel, so much of joy and positivity. He was very focused, but seemed relaxed at the same time. Kudos to Brendan and his team!:bow:

And Julian, just WOW...So much musicality and feel about music in general in this skater. And can he sold the program...Lovely performer, and quite solid technical side too!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:laugh2: I'd like a banner like that too. "It is called STEPS INTO THE SOLO JUMP! STEPS!!" :dev2:
Sorry, that is still my most hated thing, that this rule always gets ignored

*the rule gets selectively ignored depending on when they feel like it

*the rule gets selectively ignored depending on the flag next to the skater's name (yes I'm salty that there have been comps in the past where Brendan's flawless 4T has got -GOE for no steps but some big-country skater has done a quad with no steps and gets +GOE)

I think this competition in general, even outside of Shoma-The Horror-Uno, was judged very...mmh..kindly. I'm not sure if any of them would have cracked 90 with these skates elsewhere. Maybe it's just not as serious here, more of an international Nationals, concerning the judging.

Actually, I think Brendan's score was quite reasonable. He got 78 last week with a 4S and a fall on the triple Axel. Here, he did 4T and only stepped out of the triple Axel. Already he gains a point by not having a deduction and then he stood up, so a three point gain is very reasonable.

I'm now re-watching (and watching what I missed) videos from today's competitions and they come with the absolutely stellar commentary. From what I read earlier today, there's gonna be a lot of mentions of wobbling, enough to make a drinking game out of it?

Edit: OMG, his commentary is SO bad. Technical points/numbers, wobble(s), repeat ad nauseum.

Where can you re-watch the commentary version? I kind of want to hear what he said about Brendan. Because idk I like punishing myself or something?

have re-watched some of Men's programs and boy - Brendan and Julian were ON FIRE!!! Brendan went strides forward this season, there's so much more easiness in his skating, movement, he's more engaged in music, performance aspects and became more refined 'all around'. And ofc his technique is definitely more stable and effective to watch. This kind of jazzy, upbeat stuff is right up his alley I feel, so much of joy and positivity. He was very focused, but seemed relaxed at the same time. Kudos to Brendan and his team!:bow:

And Julian, just WOW...So much musicality and feel about music in general in this skater. And can he sold the program...Lovely performer, and quite solid technical side too!

LITTLE SKATING COUNTRIES ROCK!

Brendan this season has been more of what I was hoping to see after last season ended on such a positive note. It was Skate America 2015 - not even two full years ago - that he broke 200 for the first time as a total score. Now his PB is 227 - maybe it will be higher after tomorrow - and his SP has just gone over 80 and his quads are starting to look more consistent. I am also now wondering if the 4S/4T switcheroo between 4CC and AWG was actually a plan to get him confident landing both in competition so that he can start landing both in the FS. If it works, I will hail Tammy Gambill as a genius.

I truly believe that when the bigger numbers start coming up for Brendan, his confidence will skyrocket and it will be his turning point, and we will start to see everything he is capable of. Because damn, I know how good he is - now I want the whole world to see it!

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Where can you re-watch the commentary version? I kind of want to hear what he said about Brendan. Because idk I like punishing myself or something?

Sorry, karne, but the youtube channel I found the videos in only uploaded some of the men of the final group plus a few ladies. They do have Kailani's SP, if you'd like.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
More wonders of our favourite commentator:

'Layback spin into flying camel spin'... she was doing a Biellman...

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
More wonders of our favourite commentator:

'Layback spin into flying camel spin'... she was doing a Biellman...
That dude has been calling every biellman a flying camel in the comp so that's not a one off mistake...

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
^ No one will ever say "that guy didn't speak enough" during a skaters performance.... Just announce the skaters name, age, country, and maybe their music/credentials if you have it listed somewhere. I don't want to be mean but seriously......:palmf:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
^ No one will ever say "that guy didn't speak enough" during a skaters performance.... Just announce the skaters name, age, country, and maybe their music/credentials if you have it listed somewhere. I don't want to be mean but seriously......:palmf:

Every now and again, he would come out with a factoid that was ACTUALLY interesting. The problem was that that factoid would be so buried in his painful mispronounciations, wrong words, incorrect information and so on that it makes it really hard.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
other topic :

does anyone have a schedule of tonight's skating : i am working early tomorrow morning but it's friday night and just chilling so I'd watch a bit of skating if there were a stream and a schedule but i cannot find either...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
other topic :

does anyone have a schedule of tonight's skating : i am working early tomorrow morning but it's friday night and just chilling so I'd watch a bit of skating if there were a stream and a schedule but i cannot find either...

Only got the schedule in AEDT to hand, if you want to do some whacky conversions.

peese

Medalist
other topic :

Hey mister! Pairs lp is at 12:50 and ladies at 2:55. (Toronto time)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
It's a little frustrating to navigate a thread covering all events. So I managed to find out the lady's sp standing. With a leading score of 61.3, it does not sound exciting at all.

1 CHOI Dabin 61.30
2 HONGO Rika 60.98
3 ZHAO Ziquan
4 LI Zijun
5 CRAINE Kailani
6 TURSYNBAEVA Elizabet
7 YU Shuran
8 MAMBEKOVA Aiza
9 MA Maisy Hiu Ching
10 LIN Amy
11 ING Chloe
12 SO Joanna