Tonight's Canadian Idol | Golden Skate

Tonight's Canadian Idol

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well, it was "so so." I think Shane did the best tonight.

Elena really murdered Cat Stevens' "First Cut is the Deepest."

I thought Shane did a good job on Elton's "There's Something About the Way You Look Tonight."

Jason did a fairly decent rendition of Elton's "Saturday's All Right for Fightin" He seems to really like performing energetic songs.

Kalan's rendition of "House of the Rising Sun" was brave, but sorry "no cigar" - I am afraid Eric Burdon and the Animals version is too stuck in my mind.

The rest were not that great. Anyway, I am going to see this thing out. I don't expect Shane to win as the judges seem to have it in for him, but then one never knows how these things will turn out. I am sure favortism will come into play in the end. Hmm...it's starting to sound like figure skating judging!!

mike79

On the Ice
Last night was terrible. Kalan and Kaleb were the best, everyone else were laughable. No one completely bombed, but no one really shone either.

Lad, the bias you're talking about from the judges is showing with you as well. Isn't Shane from your area and isn't he your favorite? While he was far from terrible last night, he is nowhere near the best in this competition. I'm really glad to hear that you're going to watch the whole show.

My favorite, Theresa, was completely and utterly dull.

My predictions: Bottom 3: Josh, Manoah, and either Theresa or Shane, with Manoah going home. She needed a great performance and she was pretty bland.

Last edited:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
mike79 said:
Last night was terrible. Kalan and Kaleb were the best, everyone else were laughable. No one completely bombed, but no one really shone either.

Lad, the bias you're talking about from the judges is showing with you as well. Isn't Shane from your area and isn't he your favorite? While he was far from terrible last night, he is nowhere near the best in this competition. I'm really glad to hear that you're going to watch the whole show.

My favorite, Theresa, was completely and utterly dull.

My predictions: Bottom 3: Josh, Manoah, and either Theresa or Shane, with Manoah going home. She needed a great performance and she was pretty bland.

Mike:

Kaleb does nothing for me - no appologies - I can't stand that style of singing - the wavering; off key voice; and his facial antics are horrible.

Kalan - is not bad. I just don't think his voice is powerful enough to sing such heavies as "Born to be Wild" and "House of the Rising Sun." He can carry a tune.

Sure Shane is from out here; but that is not my specific reason for choosing him. I like his voice. It would not matter to me what part of the country he hails from.

Frankly speaking, I don't think any of these people are gifted by any means. It's nothing short of an amateur talent contest.

I am going to suffer through the next round and see who is still standing.

mike79

On the Ice
Hi Lad. Of course we all have our own opinions about who's the best, etc, etc. I hope you don't think that my posts are being rude about that, because that's certainly not the intent.

The Kaleb thing is interesting. It seems that people either love him or hate him.

IMO, Kalan and Theresa have star potential written all over them. As for the others, Shane seems too Clay Aikenish for me. Jason and Josh are karaoke rock singers. Manoah has no excitement in her performing. Elena is either up or down depending on the week. Jacob is a true entertainer, but not the best singer.

I don't know about anyone else but Jacob looked so much like Toller Cranston last night that it was scary. :D

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
My personal favourite remains Kalan. He is tremendously talented, and I truly believe he does not need this competition to have a successful career.

My prediction for the final 2 is Kalan and Jacob. I think Jacob is laughable and makes a mockery of the event, but he will have the support of the "punk type" people, IMO.

I was soooo disapointed in Theresa's performance last night. She has a fabulous voice, and is capable of so much more.

As for the rest, there isn't anyone I truly dislike other than Jacob and Kaleb. I don't like Kaleb's style AT ALL and would NEVER buy anything by him, but I can see where he would definitely have a following. Singers who make a single syllable word like hand into a 30 syllable word just don't do it for me.

It will definitely be interesting to see this play out, and I definitely think this is a far more talented and diverse group than last years.

Time will tell.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
"don't know about anyone else but Jacob looked so much like Toller Cranston last night that it was scary. "

Mike:

You read my mind!!! I almost said that in a post, but did not want to insult Toller. I have too much respect for the man as a skater. Anyway, the jumpsuit did remind me of Toller. However, Toller looked good in his jumpsuit, Jacob looked ridiculous!

I suppose one has to take each performance and judge for oneself. Kalan does have better stage presence than some of them. At least he looks comfortable up there. If he wins, it's okay by me. I would rather see him win than Elena (she is from Vancouver - my area - and I can't stand her!). I actually prefer Manoah to Elena (she is just too awful) I can't believe she is still on the show after that horrible performance the other night.

Jacob is too theatrical. Jason has a nice voice, but always does the same type of music - energetic. Josh can't sing. Theresa, I am not sure about. I missed her performance last week and this week was not impressed. She reminds me of Nana Moskuri when she wears the glasses.

I am with sk8tngcanuck about Kaleb. He "creeps me out" as the saying goes. I just don't get what the fuss is about.

I like Shane, because he just gets up and sings - no gimmicks or glitz. That's why I like him. He sings from within.

I'll keep tuning in. Want to know the outcome now!!!

Thanks for the replies.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I am totally ok with Manoah leaving the show. I was surprised she went though. CTV has really focused on her and her story (teacher, in a car wreck going to the audition) since the beginning of the show. I thought more people would ote for her simply because we know lots about her.

I am getting to like Kalan more and more each show.

Jacob, I can see why people like him, but not my cup of tea. When he came out in that outfit, my jaw seriuosly dropped for 30 seconds. wow!

I missed Thersa and Jason...my mum called me. Silly mother, she should know NOT to call during Canadian Idol, oh well. I've heard that Thersa was bad, but based on her past preformances, that girl should definitely still be in.

I think this is the best top 10 I've seen, including American Idol. I would buy Theresa and Kalan's cd and would love to see Jason in concert.

Next week I think it will be Shane that will get the boot. You better vote lots for him LAD! I think he needs it.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
And that was my 1000th post. WOOT WOOT. It only took me, ummm, two and a half years. :)

mike79

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
You say that as though it were a BAD thing! :D :eek: ;)

I am saying it like it's a bad thing. I'm not into the cheese and the schmaltzy performances. And trust me, Shane isn't half the singer that Clay is.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I think a big problem with Shane is song choice. He picks really cheesy songs. I love Elton John, but the song Shane chose is probably my least favorite Elton John song

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Kara Bear said:
I think a big problem with Shane is song choice. He picks really cheesy songs. I love Elton John, but the song Shane chose is probably my least favorite Elton John song

I think his last two choices have not been the best to show off his talents. I only heard a bit of his performance of "Forever Young" and heard he got rave reviews (perhaps Shane should stick to Dylan ballads and forget rock and roll). I expected more from him. I wonder what happened? I have a feeling his nerves may be getting to him and perhaps he feels there is a "fix" in the works and is not giving it his all. That's the way it appears to me anyway. I think he is holding back for some reason. One can tell at the end. He seems discouraged. Who can blame him?

Last edited: