Gilmore Girls Fans? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Gilmore Girls Fans?

stella luna

Final Flight
The actor who plays Luke said he thought a couple of GG movies a year would be ideal. But I can't stand the thought of Rory following in her Mom's footsteps so literally. Don't get me started ... :eeking:

Well it was officially renewed by Netflix the other day.

It may be a while until we see new episodes, though with the principal cast locked up in other roles. With enough money as an incentive, I'm sure they'll come up with something.

I watched the pilot of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Sherman-Palladinos' pilot for Amazon. It was a good and I hope it gets picked up.

Last edited:

stella luna

Final Flight
Come to think of it, the Girls never talked about birth control on-screen!

It may be a while until we see new episodes, though with the principal cast locked up in other roles. With enough money as an incentive, I'm sure they'll come up with something.

I watched the pilot of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Sherman-Palladinos' pilot for Amazon. It was a good and I hope it gets picked up.

Amei

Record Breaker
Now watching season 5, episode 20. I must have a mini-rant. Unpaid internships are not cool. I had four internships and all of them are paid. Not getting paid for your work should not be seen as a rite of passage. :mad:

Also, I'll note that my internships were far more structured, even my first one, which was at a small company, had structure. They didn't just throw me in there and ask me to figure it out.

Also it's obvious to me that the Huntsburger family is supposed to be GG's version of the Sultzburger family (owner of The New York Times).

Depending on your field, internships can be a required part of your degree. When I was in college we had the option of doing internships and having that applied to your degree plan in lieu of a class. Also, prestigious companies can offer unpaid internships because being able to put their name on your resume when you are applying for a job is a huge plus.

And let's not forget - Rory got that internship because she was dating Logan - if she had not been dating Logan she wouldn't have gotten the internship.

Overall on Gilmore Girls I liked the show when it was first on, I haven't watched the Revamp on Netflix, and I'll occasionally watch an episode if I see it on TV, but I find now as I've gotten past my teenage years and closer to Lorelei's age that I find Lorelei incredibly obnoxious and dislike her character.

stella luna

Final Flight
She treated Sookie horribly, I thought, and basically made fun of the townspeople who existed to fall all over themselves to help her and Rory.

Depending on your field, internships can be a required part of your degree. When I was in college we had the option of doing internships and having that applied to your degree plan in lieu of a class. Also, prestigious companies can offer unpaid internships because being able to put their name on your resume when you are applying for a job is a huge plus.

And let's not forget - Rory got that internship because she was dating Logan - if she had not been dating Logan she wouldn't have gotten the internship.

Overall on Gilmore Girls I liked the show when it was first on, I haven't watched the Revamp on Netflix, and I'll occasionally watch an episode if I see it on TV, but I find now as I've gotten past my teenage years and closer to Lorelei's age that I find Lorelei incredibly obnoxious and dislike her character.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

Oh god, why? I mean, I watched Gilmore Girls when it originally aired and I have watched the series maybe twice or three times on reruns. And I watched the four Netflix episodes. Saying they were "OK" is kind. I have other words to describe them, which are not kind. Why would they renew Gilmore Girls and do another return? Yeah, money is the answer but gosh. Enough is enough.

stella luna

Final Flight
Alexis said in an interview that she wasn't really happy with what happened to Rory at the end of the reunion episodes. I thought it was horrid. I don't care if it comes back!

Oh god, why? I mean, I watched Gilmore Girls when it originally aired and I have watched the series maybe twice or three times on reruns. And I watched the four Netflix episodes. Saying they were "OK" is kind. I have other words to describe them, which are not kind. Why would they renew Gilmore Girls and do another return? Yeah, money is the answer but gosh. Enough is enough.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So finally at Season 7. Currently on episode 13.

So irritated at our married couple now -- oddly enough I feel Lorelai and Christopher are cut from the same cloth. I found the ultimatum made by Lorelai to Luke at the end to be ridiculous, though I understand where she was when she found it. But I mean seriously, they've known each other 10 years -- I mean would have it killed her to wait JUST a little bit longer to get married?

And Chris is all like "I don't want to be your rebound." Well what did he expect? He's should have not let her in on the night of the break-up. She knew she was coming off a long-term relationship that ended. She knew that Luke was there when he wasn't for Rory.

For some reason, I felt the start of Season 7 try to play off that Chris and Lorelai was the one true pair...but now it seems like it's going back to Luke and Lorelai. OK.

Also, I realize this was the season that the Palladinos was not involved, so I'm not sure if perhaps some of the direction of the show was affected by this.

I did like that Rory had some grit in season six, including trying to convince the Stanford paper to give her a job. But that was a randomly dropped plot line....we only hear reference to it for a few episodes and then all of a sudden she wasn't working at all. So strange.

I like the plot development with Lane/Zach/Mrs. Kim. I also do like the Luke/April dynamic too. Also, Paris. Again, the side characters on this show really make it for me at least at this point.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not going to Harvard!! I had sex but I didn't get into Harvard!

I love Paris! :laugh: Wasn't she originally cast to be Rory before they decided on Alexis?

Sort of, Liza Weil auditioned for Rory but didn't get the part. They liked her so much that they wrote Paris for her. Paris was the best foil for Rory.

My favorite Paris quote was when someone asked her if it was raining out when she was soaking wet. She replied, "No, it's National Baptism Day - get your tubes tied, idiot!"

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay guys, I did it! I finished the series AND the revival!

Without giving spoilers -- my biggest criticism of the revival is that it seem a bit excessive in fan service. I get that a lot of Gilmore Girls fans felt that there wasn't a "proper" ending because the Palladinos weren't invovled, but I felt that in the revival they almost catered to that too much so.

I think the best part about the revival, to me, was Emily Gilmore's story arc. Kelly Bishop really was top notch -- as she was in the original series -- in the revival and for me the best moments of the show involved Emily. I think the original series always focused on how Emily really had trouble really being her own person outside of the "roles" she played and I was glad to see some evolution in her character here.

I think Lorelai had some good character development in this revival, especially with her relationship with her mom and Luke.

The opposite of both of those, unfortunately, is how Rory Gilmore turned out here. I think if you were a hard core Gilmore Girls fan who watched the series originally, you still rooted for her to be successful. But golly for all her talent and smarts, I could not believe she made such poor life/career decisions. I think maybe Rory was the damage of not having the Palldinos involved in season 7. I think it was very obvious to me that some of her plot arcs were ones planned for the final season. In this reboot, they seem sort of out of place, at best, and at worse, means that Rory has not experienced much growth as a person/writer in the 10 years between the series and the revival.

All that said, there was still plenty to like. I like the Paris arc and Kirk's antics were upgraded for 2016 and there were lots of funny moments. I think the episodes could have been edited considerably to maybe 1 hour episodes. But I think I enjoyed it enough where it was worth my time to watch.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay guys, I did it! I finished the series AND the revival!

Without giving spoilers -- my biggest criticism of the revival is that it seem a bit excessive in fan service. I get that a lot of Gilmore Girls fans felt that there wasn't a "proper" ending because the Palladinos weren't invovled, but I felt that in the revival they almost catered to that too much so.

I think the best part about the revival, to me, was Emily Gilmore's story arc. Kelly Bishop really was top notch -- as she was in the original series -- in the revival and for me the best moments of the show involved Emily. I think the original series always focused on how Emily really had trouble really being her own person outside of the "roles" she played and I was glad to see some evolution in her character here.

I think Lorelai had some good character development in this revival, especially with her relationship with her mom and Luke.

The opposite of both of those, unfortunately, is how Rory Gilmore turned out here. I think if you were a hard core Gilmore Girls fan who watched the series originally, you still rooted for her to be successful. But golly for all her talent and smarts, I could not believe she made such poor life/career decisions. I think maybe Rory was the damage of not having the Palldinos involved in season 7. I think it was very obvious to me that some of her plot arcs were ones planned for the final season. In this reboot, they seem sort of out of place, at best, and at worse, means that Rory has not experienced much growth as a person/writer in the 10 years between the series and the revival.

All that said, there was still plenty to like. I like the Paris arc and Kirk's antics were upgraded for 2016 and there were lots of funny moments. I think the episodes could have been edited considerably to maybe 1 hour episodes. But I think I enjoyed it enough where it was worth my time to watch.

You made it through!

I pretty much agree with your assessment of the revival. I loved the Emily story line because it was very realistic and Kelly Bishop did such a great job with it.

Lorelai and Luke also seemed stuck in the past but finally moved forward as well as Lorelai's relationship with Emily.

Rory's story was pretty much awful and was much more suited to a 22 year old, not a 32 year old, especially someone as goal oriented and driven as Rory was. What a waste for Alexis Bledel who is doing much better work on "The Handmaids' Tale."

I blame the Palladinos - they are talented but very self indulgent when they don't have anyone giving them notes. Netflix basically gave them free reign and it shows, for better and for worse.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I blame the Palladinos - they are talented but very self indulgent when they don't have anyone giving them notes. Netflix basically gave them free reign and it shows, for better and for worse.

I agree with this; and that was one of the maddening things about the revival. This insistence by the Palladinos to push their "Season 7" in the reboot was ridiculous. It really came at the cost of some major character development especially, as noted, on Rory. This is the fan service I was getting at earlier.

stella luna

Final Flight
Unfortunately, is how Rory Gilmore turned out here. I think if you were a hard core Gilmore Girls fan who watched the series originally, you still rooted for her to be successful. But golly for all her talent and smarts, I could not believe she made such poor life/career decisions. I think maybe Rory was the damage of not having the Palldinos involved in season 7. I think it was very obvious to me that some of her plot arcs were ones planned for the final season. In this reboot, they seem sort of out of place, at best, and at worse, means that Rory has not experienced much growth as a person/writer in the 10 years between the series and the revival.

A reader comment after the revival aired speculated that Rory was either earning extra income by working for Paris as a surrogate or carrying Luke and Lorelai's child, since L&L talked about having kids. :laugh:

stella luna

Final Flight
Well, Alexis (Rory) and Milo (Jess) have been nominated for Emmy Awards, for Handmaid's Tale and This Is Us.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I need to rant about how much I hate when Loralai and Christopher get back together and get married. Their whole chemistry and storyline is so ubër annoying!! Jjjjlllhhkkjhgvnmb :curse:

stella luna

Final Flight
I need to rant about how much I hate when Loralai and Christopher get back together and get married. Their whole chemistry and storyline is so ubër annoying!! Jjjjlllhhkkjhgvnmb :curse:

The writers had to do something with the Lorelai-Luke drama going. And they made Lorelai so desperate to get married you'd think she wasn't a successful businesswoman who'd supported herself and raised an Ivy League wonder girl!