Horseracing News | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Horseracing News

Johar

Medalist
Results of today's G1 Personal Ensign from Saratoga:

1 Storm Flag Flying (Velazquez, J.R.) 116 L 1 3-2 1/2 3-3 1/2 3-2 1/2 3-1 1/2 1-Head 1-1 1/4 2.15

2 Azeri (Day, P.) 122 L 2 2-3 1/2 2-6 2-7 1-1 1/2 2-2 1/2 2-1/2 0.60*

3 Nevermore (Prado, E.S.) 114 L 3 4-6 4-4 1/2 4-1 1/2 4-3 3-3 3-4 1/2 18.30

5 Board Elligible (Fragoso, P.) 112 L b 5 5 5 5 5 4-7 4-16 17.10

4 Roar Emotion

Johar

Medalist
Field for the Travers on Saturday at 'toga

Horse Odds Jockey Wgt A/S M/E Trainer
1 Eddington (KY) 15/1 Richard Migliore 126 3 C L Mark A. Hennig
2 Lion Heart (KY) 3/1 Joe Bravo 126 3 C Patrick L. Biancone
3 Purge (KY) 2/1 John R. Velazquez 126 3 C L Todd A. Pletcher
4 Sir Shackleton (KY) 10/1 Rafael Bejarano 126 3 C L Nicholas P. Zito
5 Birdstone (KY) 3/1 Edgar S. Prado 126 3 C L Nicholas P. Zito
6 The Cliff's Edge (KY) 7/2 Shane J. Sellers 126 3 C L Nicholas P. Zito
7 Suave (KY) 20/1 Pat Day 126 3 C L Paul J. McGee

I may go with a Lion Heart/Purge/Sir Shackleton box tri. "Bazooka' Joe Bravo has the ride on Lion heart, 2nd in this year's KY Derby.

The race is televised, btw. Espn 4-6 Indiana time. Check for local times.

bronxgirl

Medalist
I think it's wonderful that Storm Flag Flying won the race named for her grandmother. I know that horses don't know their family ties, but I can just imagine Personal Ensign puffed up with pride in horse heaven at the success of her granddaughter (yes I am anthropomorphizing, but I do like the image :) )

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was at the Travers Saturday. It was incredibly hot and humid, but just before the race went off, it started to rain, then the sky got black. The time of the race was moved up because of the huge thunderstorm that was rolling in. As the race went off, it was dark as night, and we saw the race with the help of frequent flashes of lighting and the floodlights in the infield.

All of the horses in the race (other than Birdstone) were suspect at a mile and a quarter, and the race played itself out very predictably. Lion Heart quickly went to the lead and was pressed by Purge. Both were gasping for breath at the top of the stretch. Six furlongs went in 1:12 and change, not a fast pace at all. Birdstone just rolled on by the tiring horses and won. The Cliff's Edge tried to make a fight of it, but he was worn out too.

Unfortunately, Lion Heart broke a bone in his leg and will be retired to stud. This horse truly had the heart of a lion, but he has always had distance limitations.

Sorry, but I can't be all that enthused about Birdstone. He won the Belmont with a Beyer figure of 101, and I don't think he ran a much bigger figure in the Travers. He goes next in the BC Classic, and I don't think he will find older horses like Pleasantly Perfect and Perfect Drift as easy to get by as these distance-challenged 3YOs. The older horses run Beyer speed figures closer to the 120 mark than to the 100 mark, and they have no problem lasting for a mile and a quarter.

I was at Saratoga for the Alabama, too, and saw Storm Flag Flying beat Azeri handily. Azeri was suspect at the 1 1/4 mile distance (the longest she's gone is a mile and 1/8). SFF is the granddaughter of Belmont winner Easy Goer, and yes, SHE can run all day, too.

I will be at Saratoga for the Labor Day weekend through Sunday, then will go to the Pennsylvania Derby on Labor Day. I understand Tapit is expected to make the PA Derby, and maybe Pollard's Vision, too.

Johar

Medalist
So sad for Lion Heart. This crop of three-year-olds is cursed or something.

Manipulator, a dark bay '01 son of Unbridled x Inside Information finished 3rd in his debut at Saratoga today. He's the first foal for his dam to ever start in a race. The others died or were wobblers.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember Inside Information when she ran in the 1995 Breeders Cup Distaff (her last race) and got a 121 Beyer Speed figure. She was a wonderful mare, one of the best.

Why is it that great mares like Genuine Risk and Inside Information have so much trouble getting healthy offspring?

Johar

Medalist
I don't know, but they do.

Bayakoa--died young, only 3 or 4 foals
Banshee Breeze--died foaling first foal
Lady's Secret--died from foaling. Foals showed little on the track
Shuvee--foaling complications

bronxgirl

Medalist
I remember when Thoroughbreds were the preferred breed for international level show jumping. It seems we've inbred these horses to the point that the breed is too fragile. Almost everyone in all events at the Olympics were riding European warmbloods. Something has gone wrong with the Thoroughbred, and it's tragic. :mad: (IMO)

Johar

Medalist
Atswhatimtalknbout was humanely put down after he suffered an internal rupture following surgery.

And you know champion Sky Beauty died?

Owner: Georgia Hoffman
Breeder: Taylor Made Farm
State Bred: KY
Winnings: 21 Starts: 15 - 2 - 2, $1,336,000
foaled 1990

At 2: WON Matron S. (gr. I), Adirondack S. (gr. II)

At 3: WON Acorn S. (gr.I), Mother Goose S. (gr. I), CCA Oaks (gr. I), Alabama S.(gr. I), Rare Perfume S. (gr. II);
2nd Bonnie Miss S.

Euthanized 7/2/2004 after complications from founder after foaling a colt by Storm Cat.

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
The baby lived. :)

Sky died several weeks ago but Coolemore didn't release the news until now. They are a bit secretitive about their horses, though.

Johar

Medalist
Holy Moly! Puck is back!

Puck, a grey colt who finished 4th to War Emblem in the 2002 Haskell Invitational, is back to race again.

He is running on Sep 9 in the Sea Emperor Stakes at Calder, a $40,000 7F dirt race. Puck has NOT been gelded.

After more than two years off I wish him all the luck. And I had to re-add him to my stablemail at Equibase ;)

His record is 10 (4-3-1) $238,221

Johar

Medalist
Puck: Mr. Greely (Gone West x Long Legend, by Reviewer) x Dawn Launch (Relaunch x Cleofe, by Grey Dawn)

This is what was said on a horse forum: "He ran in the 2002 Haskell at Monmouth Park and was injured when he suffered a condylar fracture of his cannon bone. He is doing fine, in good health and his owners Art & Stephanie Preston are trying to decide whether to breed him or find a farm who wants him as a stallion. Puck is back to normal, because he tried to chew Steves arm off!! So.......a happy ending!"

Well, I guess nobody wanted him as a sire prospect. Gone West has sons at stud such as:

Came Home
Elusive Quality(sire of Smarty Jones)
Commendable
Proud Citizen
Pembroke
Dance Master
Johar
Royal Abjar
Castle Gandolfo(who just died in Chile)
Tamayaz
Grand Slam(sire of Limehouse and Strong Hope)
Zafonic(33 stakes winners)

Mr Greely has in 2003 185 runners, 85 winners and 4 stakes winners 1.61 AEI. His top runners are El Corredor, Reel Buddy, Nonsuch Bay, Celtic Melody and Whywhywhy.

Johar

Medalist
Puck finished 9th and last :cry:

Ok, the Gazelle is tomorrow. Magical Illusion is a half to Shah Jehan. Her record this far is 4(2-0-1) $110,900. James Bond is the trainer.

Belmont Park - September 11th, 2004 - Race 8
Gazelle H. - Grade: 1
Estimated Local Post Time: 4:42 PM
Age Restriction: Three Year Old
Sex: Fillies
Purse: $250,000
Distance: One And One Eighth Miles
Surface: Dirt

Post Horse Name Age Sex Weight Jockey Name
1 Daydreaming (KY) 3 Filly 115 John R. Velazquez
2 Stellar Jayne (KY) 3 Filly 122 Robby Albarado
3 Capeside Lady (NY) 3 Filly 119 Christopher P. DeCarlo
4 Shadow Cast (KY) 3 Filly 119 Richard Migliore
5 Mambo Bell (KY) 3 Filly 115 Javier Castellano
6 He Loves Me (MD) 3 Filly 117 Jozbin Z. Santana
7 Bending Strings (KY) 3 Filly 117 Pat Day
8 Magical Illusion (KY) 3 Filly 115 Edgar S. Prado
9 My Lordship (KY) 3 Filly 117 Cornelio H. Velasquez

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Formal Gold is tomorrow. Lion tamer is back. One Nice Cat is out of Jewel Princess, a mare I really liked when she was racing.

Monmouth Park - September 11th, 2004 - Race 3
Formal Gold S. - Grade:
Estimated Local Post Time: 1:53 PM
Race Type: Stakes
Age Restriction: Three Year Old and Upward
Purse: $65,000
Distance: One And One Sixteenth Miles

1 Run to Victory (KY) 5 Horse 115 Julian Pimentel
2 Brucker's Brother (NJ) 5 Gelding 117 Michael C. Baze
3 Weston Field (KY) 6 Gelding 115 Charles C. Lopez
4 One Nice Cat (KY) 4 Colt 115 Joe Bravo
5 Runspastum (KY) 7 Horse 115 Julian Pimentel
6 Lion Tamer (KY) 4 Colt 115 Eibar Coa
7 Tamburello (CHI) 5 Gelding 115 Jose A. Velez, Jr.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Belmont Park - Saturday, September 11, 2004
Race 10 - Woodward Stakes
1 1/8 on dirt
Grade 1. 3-year-olds & up. $500,000 purse
Television Coverage: TVG/Fox Sports Net - 5:00 P.M., Eastern Time

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
Personal Ensign daughter to make debut!

Salute
Your Comment: '02 Unbridled x Personal Ensign filly. Bay

Date: September 12, 2004
Track: Belmont Park

Race: 5
Distance: Six And One Half Furlongs
Sex: F (fillies)
Race Type: Maiden Special Weight
Purse: $45,000
Jockey: Edgar S. Prado
Trainer: Claude R. McGaughey III

Johar

Medalist
Manipulator won at Belmont yesterday on a sloppy track. Inside Information finally gets her first runner and first winner.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summer Stakes at Woodbine today--Dance With Ravens, out of champion Dance Smartly, takes on Go To The Sun, out of champion Wilderness Song.

Dance With Ravens: 1(0-0-1) $6,270

Go To The Sun: 2(1-0-0) $34,200
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let It Thunder(Thunder Gulch x La Gueriere) won a 1 1/2 mile turf allowance at Kentucky Downs yesterday. :love:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roses In May won the Kentucky Cup Classic Handicap (G2) yesterday at Turfway Park. He is now 10(7-2-0) $995,187

He earlier beat Perfect Drift in the G1 Whitney at Saratoga, so he is the real deal

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------