Horseracing News | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Horseracing News

Johar

Medalist
Storm Bird, a European champion who was valued at $28 million as a stallion prospect and went on to sire the great Storm Cat, was euthanized the night of Dec. 3 following a bout with colic at Ashford Stud near Versailles, Ky.
"He was treated at the farm," said general manager Dermot Ryan about the 26-year-old son of Northern Dancer. He was always a healthy stallion, but considering his age, it was decided to put him down."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Claiborne Farm blue hen mare Blitey passed on at age 28. Will be greatly missed. She produced several G1 winners.

http://thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=51334&subsec=6
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13-year-old Zippy Chippy has been retired after being 0-100 starts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sad to see Ocean Drive retired.

Multiple graded stakes winner Ocean Drive retired

Eight-time stakes winner Ocean Drive has been retired following her seventh-place finish in the Matriarch Stakes (G1) on November 28 at Hollywood Park.
Owners Sy and Bonnie Baskin will board the four-year-old daughter of Belong to Me out of the winning mare Clever But Costly, by Clever Trick, at Taylor Made Farm in Nicholasville, Kentucky. Breeding plans have yet to be decided.

Ocean Drive is a half sister to deceased Grade 1 winner and sire Traitor; multiple stakes winner Beavers Nose; Grade 1-placed two-year-old Sun King; Grade 3-placed winner Artful Pleasure, the dam of Grade 1 winner Peeping Tom; and Clever Bertie, the dam of Grade 2 winners Hurricane Bertie and Allamerican Bertie.

Trained by Todd Pletcher, Ocean Drive won four Grade 3 races this year and finished third in the Diana Handicap (G1) at Saratoga Race Course. She won nine of 21 career starts and earned $803,986.

Last edited:

bronxgirl

Medalist
I truly hope that Zippy Chippy finds a home with some girl who truly loves him and spoils him. He deserves better than to be humiliated the way he was or to be turned into dog food.

Johar

Medalist
What do you think of the 1999 gelding Silent Witness? He's amazing and the real deal!

Owner: Arthur Antonio da Silva and Betty da Silva
Breeder: Mr I K Smith, NS
Winnings: 13 Starts: 13 - 0 - 0

At 3. Won: Sha Tin Vase(HK-G2)
At 4. Won: Hong Kong Sprint(HK-G1), International Sprint Trial(HK-G2), Sha Tin Sprint Trophy(HK-G3)
At 5. Won: Chairman's Sprint Prize(HK-G1), Centenary Sprint Cup(HK-G1), Bauhinia Sprint Trophy(HK-G1), International Sprint Trial(HK-G2), Hong Kong Sprint (HK-G1)

originally named Eltira in Aust 2003-2004 season Hong Kong Horse of the Year and Champion Sprinter 2004 Hong Kong Sprint 13th straight win

bronxgirl

Medalist
To be honest, I don't know the level of competition he would be facing racing in HK as compared to the US or European horses

Johar

Medalist
Carson City died this morning. Autopsy is pending....

Also, Eastern Echo and Miswaki have passed away....

Johar

Medalist
Malibu Stakes for Sunday. The Rock is back!

1 LOVE OF MONEY

2 MASS MEDIA

3 HARVARD AVENUE

4 STONE RAIN

5 JEFFRIES BAY

6 GRAND REWARD

7 PERFECT MOON

8 SPELLBINDER

9 LAVA MAN

10 QUINTONS GOLD RUSH

11 ROCK HARD TEN

12 MINISTER ERIC

Johar

Medalist
Funny Cide's half sister, Rockcide, was involved in a bad 4-horse spill at Aqueduct in the 2nd race. She came out ok but one of them had to be humanely put down. :cry:

Johar

Medalist
The recently retired Azeri is definitely going to *drumroll please*
Storm Cat! My, my, what a shock! ;)

bronxgirl

Medalist
Just imagine what that foal will be sold for - probably more money than I will make in my lifetime :yes:

Johar

Medalist
I hope the foals gets mom's brains and not pop's, as Storm Cats tend to be nutcases.

Oh, at the Del Mar pedigree forum, we have a thread on horse temperments. Quite interesting!

Johar

Medalist
Eclipse Awards. Ghostzapper wins HOTY over Smarty Jones!

Horse of the Year--Ghostzapper, 174; Smarty Jones, 95; Ashado, 1; Kitten's Joy, 1. Voter Abstentions, 3.

2-Year-Old Male--Declan's Moon, 188; Afleet Alex, 44; Wilko, 22; Rockport Harbor 17; Roman Ruler 1. Voter Abstentions, 2.

2-Year-Old Filly--Sweet Catomine, 273; Runway Model, 1. No abstentions.

3-Year-Old Male--Smarty Jones, 265; Kitten's Joy, 7; Birdstone, 2. No Abstentions.

3-Year-Old Female--Ashado, 257; Ouija Board (GB), 14; Stellar Jayne, 1. Voter Abstentions, 2.

Older Male--Ghostzapper, 269; Pleasantly Perfect, 4; Roses in May, 1. No Abstentions.

Older Female--Azeri, 179; Sightseek, 91; Storm Flag Flying 3; Adoration, 1. No Abstentions.

Sprinter--Speightstown, 157; Pico Central, 101; Ghostzapper, 15. Voter Abstentions, 1.

Male Turf Horse--Kitten's Joy, 247; Singletary, 12; Better Talk Now, 9; Soaring Free, 2; Sulamani, 2; Leroidesanimaux, 1; Nothing to Lose, 1. No Abstentions.

Female Turf Horse--Ouija Board, 235; Ticker Tape, 24; Intercontinental, 6; Light Jig, 2; Megahertz, 2; Wonder Again, 2; Commercante, 1; Lucifer's Stone, 1. Voter Abstentions, 1.

Steeplechase Horse--Hirapour, 216; Sur La Tete, 10; McDynamo, 8; Preemptive Strike, 2; Tres Touche, 2; Cherokee in the Hills, 1. Voter Abstentions, 35.

Outstanding Owner--Kenneth and Sarah Ramsey, 100; Michael Gill, 79; Someday Farm, 41; Adena Springs/Stronach Entities, 27; Juddmonte Farms, 12; Gary Tanaka, 2, Eugene and Laura Melnyk, 2; Sam-Son Farm, 2; Robert Bone,1; Robert and Beverly Lewis, 1; Louis O'Brien, 1. Voter Abstentions, 6.

Outstanding Breeder--Adena Springs, 166; Juddmonte Farms 26; John Franks, 18; Someday Farm, 16; Aaron and Marie Jones, 13; Farnsworth Farms, 9; Kenneth and Sarah Ramsey, 9; William S. Farish, 3; Arthur Appleton, 1; Mr. and Mrs. Martin J. Wygod, 1. Voter Abstentions, 12.

Outstanding Trainer--Todd Pletcher, 155; Steve Asmussen, 71; Robert Frankel 35; John Servis 12; Voter Abstentions, 1.

Outstanding Jockey--John Velazquez, 241; Edgar Prado, 14; Rafael Bejarano, 6; Jerry Bailey, 4; Stewart Elliott, 4; Ramon Dominguez, 3; Alex Solis, 1. Voter Abstentions, 1.

Outstanding Apprentice Jockey--Brian Hernandez, Jr., 164; Pablo Fragoso, 84; Mick Ruis, 5; James Graham, 2; Eric Camacho, 1; Brandon Whitacre, 1.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Too bad Smarty will never race again. Imagine what a competition between Smarty and Ghostzapper could have done for the sport.

Johar

Medalist
The G2 $150,000 Hutchenson results:

Proud Accolade
Park Avenue Ball
Vicarage
Defer
Devil At Sea
Carson's Bridge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The G1 $500,000 Donn H. result:

Saint Liam
Roses in May --was favorite
Eddington
Seek Gold
Pies Prospect
Wishingitwas
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The G2 $300,000 Strub results and what they paid to win, on a $2 bet:

Rock Hard Ten 0.80*
Imperialism 7.80
Love of Money 3.10
Good Reward 10.70
Castledale (IRE) 7.10
My Creed 74.90
With Distinction 32.10
Hendrix 42.60
Diamond Fury 40.60