Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Was Michelle lucky to win all those World Championships?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    The above quotes pretty much sum up how I feel about Kwan. After all, she only has to skate- the judges are the ones who decide the overall outcome. Sometimes it plays in her favor, other times it doesn't (typically an error on MK's part). Another thing she can't control- her competitors. I say good for her when she wins handily and beats her competitors at their best. Other times she wins when her competitors fall or mess up, and vice versa.

Isn't that the story of every skater?

2002 Worlds- I didn't see the short, but I heard she messed up there. IS was stronger IMO in the LP than Kwan, so 2nd place deserved there. That wasn't luck.

There were also a majority of eastern european judges. That's luck for IS.

In 2003 Worlds, for example, she had almost no competition. She could have won the thing IMO if she just stood there on the ice. Bad luck, ironically on Irina's part, could have made the difference.

She had Sasha, Elena S., Elena L, Yoshie, Fumie, Carolina, Julia, etc. the only one missing was IS.

In 2004 Worlds, she messed up in the QR, which I think got her down. But it was the time deduction in the SP, IMO deserved but still a touch of bad luck (she got away with it at 2004 Nats), which put her out of gold contention. In the LP, despite the distraction she pulled it off, props to her for that. 3rd place IMO deserved.
    Correct! and in the LP, she was the last skater to earn 6.0s in Worlds Competitions.

Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 08-18-2004 at 05:53 AM.

SkateFan4Life
    Overall, I think the judges called it right, as far as Michelle Kwan's World medals are concerned.

In 1995, she was still a skinny, 14-year-old with strong jumps but undeveloped artistry. She finished a strong fourth. The judges were telling her that they considered her a great jumper - now she had to develop the full package.

In 1996, Michelle won because she threw in an extra triple jump at the end of her program. She had seven triples to Chen Lu's six triples. Both women skated programs worthy of a gold medal, Kwan also skated after Lu, so the judges weren't holding back any marks. Incidentially, both skaters received 6.0s, all of which were well deserved. Michelle's artistry had dramatically improved.

In 1997, Kwan made a mistake in the short program and needed help to win the title. While she won the long program, Lipinski skated two error-free routines and won fairly and squarely, according to the rules.

In 1998, Kwan won despite falling in her long program. Lipinski and Lu were absent, the she really only needed to skate two good programs to win, which she did. It was an anti-climax competition, after Nagano.

In 1999, Kwan made mistakes (and was also ill with the flu), but Maria Butraskaya convincingly outskated her and deserved to win. I, personally, was glad to see Maria win, as she had stuck it out for so many years with an unsupportive Russian skating federation. It was great to see a 26-year-old win the World title!

In 2000, Kwan needed help to win, and she received the help to win. I don't think it was her most inspired program, but it did the job.

In 2001, Kwan overcame skate problems and again skated good programs to win.

In 2002, Kwan looked tired - perhaps still reeling from her self-destruct at Salt Lake City, and only skated so-so programs (for her). Her silver medal was a gift, in my opinion, based more on reputation than on the actual performance.

In 2003, Kwan was the best, and she deserved her fifth World title.

In 2004, Kwan made some errors, and that short program timing error cost her dearly. I thought she deserved no better than the bronze for her performance, and that's what she received.

Still, Michelle Kwan has to go down in history as one of the greatest figure skaters of all time. Her consistency, her ability to always medal in the major competitions, and her standard of excellence are yardsticks that may never been seen again. How many skaters will win eight US titles? And Michelle may well continue to win National, World, and Olympic titles or medals.

Just my own opinions, of course.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3