View Poll Results: Olympic Gold 2006 Men - who'll make it?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Evgeny Plushenko

29 48.33%
  • Brian Joubert

14 23.33%
  • Stephane Lambiel

4 6.67%
  • Johnny Weir

7 11.67%
  • Timothy Goebel

2 3.33%
  • Takeshi Honda

0 0%
  • Emanuel Sandhu

1 1.67%
  • Jeffrey Buttle

0 0%
  • Andrei Griazev

2 3.33%
  • Other, NAME!!!

1 1.67%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Gold 2006 Men - who'll make it?

Hybrid View

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster

Question Olympic Gold 2006 Men - who'll make it?

It's still a long time until then but so what?

Anke

Custom Title
    I tend to think it will still be Plushenko vs. Joubert. It seems to me that Evgeny REALLY wants that Olympic title and is willing to work endlessly for it. I'm sure he wants to erase a lot of the bad memories from SLC and redeem himself. I think he may just do it, too. But, anything can happen in a year and a half. Weir could get a consistent quad and really challenge the top tier.

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    I think it will be close. Evgeni, unless injured, should be in the top two easily. But will Joubert be the main threat? I think Stephane and Johnny with consistent quads will be much more of a threat than Brian. After SA 2002, I thought Brian would be the main challenge going into the Olympics, but after this year's Worlds, I'm not so sure.

Laura

PS But I voted for Evgeni, naturally.

Only one year ago I thought Evgeny is soooo superior and head and shoulders above everyone, but now, after this season, I've serious doubts. The injury ... and many of his competitors've made up ground and already snapping at his heels. I've got the strange feeling Turino might come too late for him, but well, it's just me.

I've voted for Joubert, because in opposite to Princess Leppard I think he became even stronger, and much cooler!!!, last season.

But IMO also Johnny Weir could be a serious contender. I saw him at Worlds 2004 for the first time and was simply knocked out by the effortless beauty and artistry of his skating. He seems to be a quite ambitious and self-confident young man and if he gains consistency (and at least two quads!!! ) everything is possible!

I've to admit Andrei Griazev still doesn't look like an coming Olympic Champion right now but who knows? He's with the great Tarasova after all and the last two guys she had ...

Anke
    Last edited by Germanice; 08-03-2004 at 04:16 AM.

Unless Plushy inadvertently ties the laces of his left and right skates together thus forcing him to trip over himself, he should win gold. I, personally, did not care for his 2004 Worlds performances--errors+sloppy--but obviously the judges feel differently. I believe this should carry him to Oly victory.

Rinkside
    Yes, I think it will be Plushenko vs. Joubert, but I voted for Joubert because of the recent injury Plushenko has had... and some of his competitors are catching up to him.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by RealtorGal
    Unless Plushy inadvertently ties the laces of his left and right skates together thus forcing him to trip over himself, he should win gold. I, personally, did not care for his 2004 Worlds performances--errors+sloppy--but obviously the judges feel differently. I believe this should carry him to Oly victory.

Bravo, bravissimo, RealtorGal!! I totally agree!

Libra - from Russia, with love for all who love Plushy

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanice

I've voted for Joubert, because in opposite to Princess Leppard I think he became even stronger, and much cooler!!!, last season
    Anke
    I say Brian Joubert. He dethroned Plushenko at the European Championships. Besides, Brian's young, and his Matrix, program is, in my opinion one of the coolest ever!! Plushenko has been skating to the Nijinsky number for so long it's getting really boring.

As for Brian - I'd say the last impressions are the most remarkable one's, and as a matter of fact he was pretty cool when it counted most, at Euros and Worlds. Who cares how he acted at Trophy Lalique, before that? Of course we've to wait if his coolness gonna be trend in the future. It's still a long race until Olympics.

Apart from that - Evgeny is not exactly a perfect role model for absolute coolness all the time either, remember?!

Anke

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanice
    It's still a long time until then but so what?

Anke
    My vote goes to Joubert. I'm fairly sure PLushenko and Joubert will be the top two unless they make major mistakes, in which case Johnny and Timmy can battle each other out to overthrow them. If the Olympics were this year I'd say Plushenko, but he has an injury and obviously has no intentions of cutting back with his three GP's and while he is determined, Joubert is tailing him now. And persnally I find Plushenko sloppy at times and his spins are so slow. I think Joubert has the technical skills and presentation to match him. I think it will be very close, I'm actually reminded of Boitano vs Orser when i think about 2006.

Custom Title
    I think Plushy will win, but Joubert is going to challenge him in every way. I don't see Johnny Weir challenging Plushy or Brian in this Olympics, but I think 2010 will be his year. Joubert is a really competitive guy and despite his fist pumping, he really impressed me at this year's worlds (esp in the SP).

I see Timmy being on the podium b/c Timmy tends to skate his best at big events (esp in the past few years).

Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    I see Timmy being on the podium b/c Timmy tends to skate his best at big events (esp in the past few years).
    I'm reserving my opinion on Timmy until I see his "comeback" this year.

On the Ice

who will win in 2006??

I say Brian Joubert because he is has nerves made of steel. But I don't deny that Johnny Weir and Stephane Lambiel could be a threat to Evgeny as well. Especially Lambiel- his spinning techniques are amazing! But it will be close. ( I think we all know that) between Joubert and Plushenko. Brian has been so consistent and steady though. Who knows? maybe we will have a surprise winner as in the European Championships

Rinkside
    Nobody can deny that Lambiel is a great spinner. His spins are fast and unique. But I see alot of traveling in them and the positions aren't quite held as long as Weir holds them. They aren't controlled as well in some cases. Not all the time, but that's the impression I got from him. I really don't think He'll be that great of a threat. He's sloppy and can't controll alot of his skating.But Like everybody he has some good points and is very talented. But I just don't feel like he will be able to contend with the rest of them. I hope he can prove me wrong, but I'm just not seeing or feeling it.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by figure8fan17
    I say Brian Joubert because he is has nerves made of steel.
    He does? Then how come he keeps melting down at Lalique when the whole arena is so behind him to win? He has really done well this past season, but from 01-03 he had a lot of botched performances due to nerves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast