Olympic Gold 2006 Men - who'll make it? | Golden Skate

Olympic Gold 2006 Men - who'll make it?

Olympic Gold 2006 Men - who'll make it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I tend to think it will still be Plushenko vs. Joubert. It seems to me that Evgeny REALLY wants that Olympic title and is willing to work endlessly for it. I'm sure he wants to erase a lot of the bad memories from SLC and redeem himself. I think he may just do it, too. But, anything can happen in a year and a half. Weir could get a consistent quad and really challenge the top tier.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I think it will be close. Evgeni, unless injured, should be in the top two easily. But will Joubert be the main threat? I think Stephane and Johnny with consistent quads will be much more of a threat than Brian. After SA 2002, I thought Brian would be the main challenge going into the Olympics, but after this year's Worlds, I'm not so sure.

Laura :)

PS But I voted for Evgeni, naturally. ;)

Germanice

On the Ice
Only one year ago I thought Evgeny is soooo superior and head and shoulders above everyone, but now, after this season, I've serious doubts. The injury ... and many of his competitors've made up ground and already snapping at his heels. I've got the strange feeling Turino might come too late for him, but well, it's just me.

I've voted for Joubert, because in opposite to Princess Leppard I think he became even stronger, and much cooler!!!, last season.

But IMO also Johnny Weir could be a serious contender. I saw him at Worlds 2004 for the first time and was simply knocked out by the effortless beauty and artistry of his skating. He seems to be a quite ambitious and self-confident young man and if he gains consistency (and at least two quads!!! ;) ) everything is possible!

I've to admit Andrei Griazev still doesn't look like an coming Olympic Champion right now but who knows? He's with the great Tarasova after all and the last two guys she had ... ;)

Anke

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Unless Plushy inadvertently ties the laces of his left and right skates together thus forcing him to trip over himself, he should win gold. I, personally, did not care for his 2004 Worlds performances--errors+sloppy--but obviously the judges feel differently. I believe this should carry him to Oly victory. :rolleye:

ice_princess

Rinkside
Yes, I think it will be Plushenko vs. Joubert, but I voted for Joubert because of the recent injury Plushenko has had... and some of his competitors are catching up to him.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I vote for Plushenko. Not only is he one heck of a skater, he also is very experienced. This will also be his second Olympic experience running for Gold.

Chrystia Mee

Rinkside
Germanice said:
It's still a long time until then but so what?

Anke

My vote goes to Joubert. I'm fairly sure PLushenko and Joubert will be the top two unless they make major mistakes, in which case Johnny and Timmy can battle each other out to overthrow them. If the Olympics were this year I'd say Plushenko, but he has an injury and obviously has no intentions of cutting back with his three GP's and while he is determined, Joubert is tailing him now. And persnally I find Plushenko sloppy at times and his spins are so slow. I think Joubert has the technical skills and presentation to match him. I think it will be very close, I'm actually reminded of Boitano vs Orser when i think about 2006.

soogar

Record Breaker
I think Plushy will win, but Joubert is going to challenge him in every way. I don't see Johnny Weir challenging Plushy or Brian in this Olympics, but I think 2010 will be his year. Joubert is a really competitive guy and despite his fist pumping, he really impressed me at this year's worlds (esp in the SP).

I see Timmy being on the podium b/c Timmy tends to skate his best at big events (esp in the past few years).

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
soogar said:
I see Timmy being on the podium b/c Timmy tends to skate his best at big events (esp in the past few years).

I'm reserving my opinion on Timmy until I see his "comeback" this year.

libra 1

Rinkside
RealtorGal said:
Unless Plushy inadvertently ties the laces of his left and right skates together thus forcing him to trip over himself, he should win gold. I, personally, did not care for his 2004 Worlds performances--errors+sloppy--but obviously the judges feel differently. I believe this should carry him to Oly victory. :rolleye:

Bravo, bravissimo, RealtorGal!! I totally agree!

Libra - from Russia, with love for all who love Plushy

Matt

On the Ice
I voted for Joubert. He's getting to be a remarkably consistent skater, very much like Yags was in '02 and I think he could take it. Plushy will definitely be in there, though, as will Weir and prolly others like Lambiel, so it will be interesting. Who knows, there may be someone out of the blue who could surprise us (*crosses fingers and hopes for VDP*)

Vash01

Medalist
I voted for Joubert, although in my heart I really want Plushy to win the gold in 2006. I am concerned about Plushy's injuries and it is hard to tell what shape he will be in. Joubert, being a couple years younger will have the advantage of a healthier body. He is also a very focused, goal oriented skater. I don't care for his skating right now (too much Yagudin, and not enough Joubert), but he is likely to improve and be at the top of his game going into the 2006 Olympics. I see the same with Johnny Weir. If Plushenko wants to win the Olympic gold, he will have to find a way to hold off these two, and don't forget about the charming Stephane Lambiel either. One fall in the SP will not be as punitive under the COP as it was in the 6.0 system. So I think any of these skaters could win the gold, even with one mistake.

Vash

icenut84

Final Flight
I vote for Plushenko - barring injury, I think he'll still be the favourite. There will definitely be others in there with medal chances though, such as Joubert, Lambiel, and Weir (if he gets a quad), not to mention maybe a skater or two who will move up the rankings. I'd love to see Plush at the top and Lambiel with silver. :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Didn't even have to think on this one...........Plushy of course........42

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
This time I chose to vote who I really wished to win: Lambiel. Besides I see that he will have chances. Of course in this moment Plushenko and Joubert look very strong, but will that remain so?

I would be happy though if Plushenko wins, because he had real bad luck with his injuries in 2001-2002 season. Besides I have always thought his presentation to look much better than the type Joubert represents, that seems so machine like in my eyes.

Marjaana

alina

Rinkside
I vote for Plushenko because I hope he´ll be the olympic champion 2006 but you never know what will happen. One little mistake can change everything and one skater who perhaps is able to compete his "competition of his life" can leave the favorites behind him. To be olympic champion you need luck.
Alina

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Plushenko gets my vote because this young man is so determined and driven. I think in 2002 he was distracted by his rivalry with Yagudin, and that hurt his focus and concentration. Plushenko knows if he skates his best, Joubert cannot beat him. So this time he really WILL skate his best.

Vash01

Medalist
Not only that, he (Plushenko) was very young- just 19 at the last Olympics. It takes time to mature as a skater and a person. I think he is stronger mentally now. I hope his body holds up.