• Poll closed .

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
alina said:
To be olympic champion you need luck.
Alina

One could say that about every champion (Worlds, etc.)... Most of all though a skater needs hard work, strong determination & concentration and good nerves, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ophir

Rinkside
I'd love to see Eman surprise everyone and medal. Of course, I also owned a Pontiac Aztek and thought Showgirls was a masterpiece.

isk8nbessy

Rinkside
I chose johnny. Just because I don't think Plushy will be able to hold off injuries. Or he'll let the pressure go to him. I didn't pick Brian because I don't think he'll be able to deliver that night. Although I do see both on the podium. I think lambiel and eman's chances at making the top 5 are very slim. Unless lambiel can get consistent in the next year. honestly I think the only thing going for him is his spins. Which Johnny can be just as good if not better in that area. Eman needs to have an attitude adjustment or else he won't get very far. As for Timmy, I hope he can prove me wrong because I really like him, but I don't think his jumps are all the way around and his artistry needs to step up a notch. ( although he has come along way) JMHO Of course I'm probably way off and who knows? Tons of these guys may not even make it to the Olys. Injuries and poor placements do happen. Who would have thought timmy would be sitting in tenth after the short at this year's nationals? Just goes to show that anything can happen.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
isk8nbessy said:
Unless lambiel can get consistent in the next year. honestly I think the only thing going for him is his spins. Which Johnny can be just as good if not better in that area.
:eek: :eek: :eek: I'm speechless! Care to elaborate on how anyone could possibly think Weir's spins are better than Lambiel's?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
berthes ghost said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: I'm speechless! Care to elaborate on how anyone could possibly think Weir's spins are better than Lambiel's?

Well, that is the way lots of fans see their favourite whoever that might be, LOL. The favourite is seen as best athlete, best jumper, most charismatic and artistic, best sprinner, even as most handsome (although normal people would not agree...), the cutest there is, etc., etc.

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
I think that anything can happen at the Olympics (Yagudin used to say that it was a place where "unexpectable things could happen"), and it's still quite some time away, but it's my opinion that Joubert has a fairly good chance at winning this.

Nan

figure8fan17

Rinkside
who will win in 2006??

I say Brian Joubert because he is has nerves made of steel. But I don't deny that Johnny Weir and Stephane Lambiel could be a threat to Evgeny as well. Especially Lambiel- his spinning techniques are amazing! But it will be close. ( I think we all know that) between Joubert and Plushenko. Brian has been so consistent and steady though. Who knows? maybe we will have a surprise winner as in the European Championships

isk8nbessy

Rinkside
Nobody can deny that Lambiel is a great spinner. His spins are fast and unique. But I see alot of traveling in them and the positions aren't quite held as long as Weir holds them. They aren't controlled as well in some cases. Not all the time, but that's the impression I got from him. I really don't think He'll be that great of a threat. He's sloppy and can't controll alot of his skating.But Like everybody he has some good points and is very talented. But I just don't feel like he will be able to contend with the rest of them. I hope he can prove me wrong, but I'm just not seeing or feeling it.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
figure8fan17 said:
I say Brian Joubert because he is has nerves made of steel.
:eek: He does? Then how come he keeps melting down at Lalique when the whole arena is so behind him to win? He has really done well this past season, but from 01-03 he had a lot of botched performances due to nerves.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Brian has had two excellent performances, Worlds and Euros, but both of those times he skated BEFORE Evgeni. When he skates that well after Evgeni has had an amazing performance, then you can say he has nerves of steel. :p

Laura :)

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Joubert skated very well at Euros, Worlds and Marshall's. But that's it. The GP was a disaster. In DC he was average, he had one very bad program that took him out of contention for the podium, I don't remember if it was the SP or the QR. He skated well at 2003 Euros and in 2002 Skate America, that he won, but the rest wasn't particularly stellar. So I don't think he's been exactly a consistency role model, but besides Yagudin and Plushenko - the exception ;) - with his age and experience, who is anyway?

I don't think there's any doubt that he's very competitive and determined, but we'll see how he does this season and then we can talk better about his nerves.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
He bombed the QR. He skated really early, and I dragged my sister to see him because I was sure he was going to get the silver medal, and then....SPLAT. Free skate was pretty good until the end, when he tipped over. Oh, well.

Laura :)

Niza

Rinkside
I think that not only Joubert will be pretend to victory ( i not say about Plushenko, i love him, but he very tired and nervous and anything can happen at the 2006 ). I think that Jonny and Stefan more talented by nature than Brian. I chose Plushy or Johnny ( my new love).

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
As much as I like Brian, I have to laugh just a bit when I read people say that he has "nerves of steel" or other comments about how cool he is. He did finish the season rather well in this area (Euros and Worlds; I think this is one of the first things Yagudin taught him), but at the beginning of the season, this was not the case.

I remember my friend and I watching him pace up and down in front of the K&C area just before the SP at Trophee Lalique and both of us very concerned that he might just pass out because he was so pale and nervous. We were getting ready to flip a coin to see who got to administer mouth-to-mouth! ;)

One of the things that makes me believe he does have a chance in 2006 is that he has been so successful in such a short time at bringing this problem under some control.

Nan

figure8fan17

Rinkside
Germanice said:

I've voted for Joubert, because in opposite to Princess Leppard I think he became even stronger, and much cooler!!!, last season
Anke

I say Brian Joubert. He dethroned Plushenko at the European Championships. Besides, Brian's young, and his Matrix, program is, in my opinion one of the coolest ever!! Plushenko has been skating to the Nijinsky number for so long it's getting really boring.

Germanice

On the Ice
As for Brian - I'd say the last impressions are the most remarkable one's, and as a matter of fact he was pretty cool when it counted most, at Euros and Worlds. Who cares how he acted at Trophy Lalique, before that? Of course we've to wait if his coolness gonna be trend in the future. It's still a long race until Olympics.

Apart from that - Evgeny is not exactly a perfect role model for absolute coolness all the time either, remember?! ;)

Anke

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Anke,

I don't think you and I are in disagreement. My only reason for mentioning Trophee Lalique was to point out how far Brian had come in controlling his nerves.

Nan

Germanice

On the Ice
NansXOXOX said:
Anke,

I don't think you and I are in disagreement. My only reason for mentioning Trophee Lalique was to point out how far Brian had come in controlling his nerves.

Nan
Of course we aren't! :)
Btw. ... thanx for a very certain pic/link you've posted at FSU!!! :love:

Anke

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Germanice said:
Btw. ... thanx for a very certain pic/link you've posted at FSU!!! :love:

Anke

You are very welcome. I'm always happy to spread a little joy and beauty around. :love: :laugh:

Nan