View Poll Results: Olympic Gold 2006 Men - who'll make it?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Evgeny Plushenko

29 48.33%
  • Brian Joubert

14 23.33%
  • Stephane Lambiel

4 6.67%
  • Johnny Weir

7 11.67%
  • Timothy Goebel

2 3.33%
  • Takeshi Honda

0 0%
  • Emanuel Sandhu

1 1.67%
  • Jeffrey Buttle

0 0%
  • Andrei Griazev

2 3.33%
  • Other, NAME!!!

1 1.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Gold 2006 Men - who'll make it?

Didn't even have to think on this one...........Plushy of course........42

Custom Title
    This time I chose to vote who I really wished to win: Lambiel. Besides I see that he will have chances. Of course in this moment Plushenko and Joubert look very strong, but will that remain so?

I would be happy though if Plushenko wins, because he had real bad luck with his injuries in 2001-2002 season. Besides I have always thought his presentation to look much better than the type Joubert represents, that seems so machine like in my eyes.

Marjaana

Medalist
    I vote for Plushenko because I hope he´ll be the olympic champion 2006 but you never know what will happen. One little mistake can change everything and one skater who perhaps is able to compete his "competition of his life" can leave the favorites behind him. To be olympic champion you need luck.
    Alina

Custom Title
    Plushenko gets my vote because this young man is so determined and driven. I think in 2002 he was distracted by his rivalry with Yagudin, and that hurt his focus and concentration. Plushenko knows if he skates his best, Joubert cannot beat him. So this time he really WILL skate his best.

Custom Title
    Not only that, he (Plushenko) was very young- just 19 at the last Olympics. It takes time to mature as a skater and a person. I think he is stronger mentally now. I hope his body holds up.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by alina
    To be olympic champion you need luck.
    Alina
    One could say that about every champion (Worlds, etc.)... Most of all though a skater needs hard work, strong determination & concentration and good nerves, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Jaana; 08-03-2004 at 02:09 AM.

Rinkside
    I'd love to see Eman surprise everyone and medal. Of course, I also owned a Pontiac Aztek and thought Showgirls was a masterpiece.

Rinkside
    I chose johnny. Just because I don't think Plushy will be able to hold off injuries. Or he'll let the pressure go to him. I didn't pick Brian because I don't think he'll be able to deliver that night. Although I do see both on the podium. I think lambiel and eman's chances at making the top 5 are very slim. Unless lambiel can get consistent in the next year. honestly I think the only thing going for him is his spins. Which Johnny can be just as good if not better in that area. Eman needs to have an attitude adjustment or else he won't get very far. As for Timmy, I hope he can prove me wrong because I really like him, but I don't think his jumps are all the way around and his artistry needs to step up a notch. ( although he has come along way) JMHO Of course I'm probably way off and who knows? Tons of these guys may not even make it to the Olys. Injuries and poor placements do happen. Who would have thought timmy would be sitting in tenth after the short at this year's nationals? Just goes to show that anything can happen.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by isk8nbessy
    Unless lambiel can get consistent in the next year. honestly I think the only thing going for him is his spins. Which Johnny can be just as good if not better in that area.
    I'm speechless! Care to elaborate on how anyone could possibly think Weir's spins are better than Lambiel's?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by berthes ghost
    I'm speechless! Care to elaborate on how anyone could possibly think Weir's spins are better than Lambiel's?
    Well, that is the way lots of fans see their favourite whoever that might be, LOL. The favourite is seen as best athlete, best jumper, most charismatic and artistic, best sprinner, even as most handsome (although normal people would not agree...), the cutest there is, etc., etc.

Moving Forward
    I think that anything can happen at the Olympics (Yagudin used to say that it was a place where "unexpectable things could happen"), and it's still quite some time away, but it's my opinion that Joubert has a fairly good chance at winning this.

Nan

On the Ice

who will win in 2006??

I say Brian Joubert because he is has nerves made of steel. But I don't deny that Johnny Weir and Stephane Lambiel could be a threat to Evgeny as well. Especially Lambiel- his spinning techniques are amazing! But it will be close. ( I think we all know that) between Joubert and Plushenko. Brian has been so consistent and steady though. Who knows? maybe we will have a surprise winner as in the European Championships

Rinkside
    Nobody can deny that Lambiel is a great spinner. His spins are fast and unique. But I see alot of traveling in them and the positions aren't quite held as long as Weir holds them. They aren't controlled as well in some cases. Not all the time, but that's the impression I got from him. I really don't think He'll be that great of a threat. He's sloppy and can't controll alot of his skating.But Like everybody he has some good points and is very talented. But I just don't feel like he will be able to contend with the rest of them. I hope he can prove me wrong, but I'm just not seeing or feeling it.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by figure8fan17
    I say Brian Joubert because he is has nerves made of steel.
    He does? Then how come he keeps melting down at Lalique when the whole arena is so behind him to win? He has really done well this past season, but from 01-03 he had a lot of botched performances due to nerves.

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    Brian has had two excellent performances, Worlds and Euros, but both of those times he skated BEFORE Evgeni. When he skates that well after Evgeni has had an amazing performance, then you can say he has nerves of steel.

Laura

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast