Thread: Campbell's Roster- Invited Skaters

Down With It

Campbell's Roster- Invited Skaters

http://usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=26099

Invited Skaters

Ladies
    Miki Ando (JPN) – 2004 World Championships, 4th; 2004 World Junior champion
    Shizuka Arakawa (JPN) – 2004 World champion; two-time Japanese champion
    Sasha Cohen (USA) – 2004 World silver medalist, three-time U.S. silver medalist
    Amber Corwin (USA) – 2004 Four Continents bronze medalist; 2004 U.S. Championships, 4th
    Jennifer Kirk (USA) – 2004 U.S. bronze medalist; 2002 Four Continents champion
    Carolina Kostner (ITA) – 2004 World Championships, 5th; 2003 Italian champion
    Michelle Kwan (USA) – Five-time World champion; eight-time U.S. champion
    Irina Slutskaya (RUS) – 2002 World champion; 2002 Olympic silver medalist

MEN
    Timothy Goebel (USA) – Two-time World silver medalist; 2002 Olympic bronze medalist
    Takeshi Honda (JPN) – Two-time World bronze medalist; four-time Japanese champion
    Brian Joubert (FRA) – 2004 World silver medalist; 2004 European champion
    Evan Lysacek (USA) – 2004 World Junior silver medalist; 2004 Four Continents bronze medalist
    Evgeny Plushenko (RUS) – Three-time World champion; 2002 Olympic silver medalist
    Emanuel Sandhu (CAN) – 2004 ISU Grand Prix Final champion; three-time Canadian champion
    Johnny Weir (USA) – 2004 U.S. champion; 2004 World Championships, 5th

*All skaters subject to change.
    Interesting that they invited Kostner. I also think it's odd that they invited Slutskaya because I read on Irina's fan board that she has a show in Russia scheduled for the next day...I don't think it would be possible for her to do both shows, so I have a feeling she'll stick with the Russia show and drop Campbell's.

Custom Title
    Both Slutskaya and Plushenko have a show the next day in Moscow. Not sure what they are going to do.

Custom Title

Commericial value

Odd that they invited Carolina? Not odd at all - the young lady has incredible commericial value. Campbell's wants as many viewers as possible to see their logo. Carolina looks like a real raised on chicken soup kinda young lady. Plus, many are keeping an eye on her, simply because the next Olys are in Italy.
    Linny

Tripping on the Podium
    Yay, E-man's invited!! I'm very happy for him. Could be the beginning of a great season.
    One can always hope....

K

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    http://usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=26099

Interesting that they invited Kostner. I also think it's odd that they invited Slutskaya because I read on Irina's fan board that she has a show in Russia scheduled for the next day...I don't think it would be possible for her to do both shows, so I have a feeling she'll stick with the Russia show and drop Campbell's.

Carolina finished 5th at Worlds. That gives them the top 5 from Worlds. Money wise Irina with GP money down and shorter touring she is going to do Campbell's to pay all those medical bills. Since both her and Evgeny are scheduled for the Russian show they might just reschedule the show.

Custom Title
    I think it's more likely that they will try to do both events or withdraw from one. The Ice Symphony show is very important and tons of Russian skaters, pro and eligible and from all disciplines, will be there. It would be quite akward that they would change the date of the show because of some cheesefest in the US LOL Almost as unlikely IMO than to have Campbell's being rescheduled.

I'm :( to see they didn't invite Fumie

Last year they had trouble filling the slots of people who dropped out. Irina and Yags. So I guess this year they are overbooking. Maybe they will replace them with Griazev and Sokolova if the're not in the show. I would love it if they invited Stephane and Stephan.

It's a fun competition. There will be new costumes, new music, new program, and hopefully new tricks. If you want to predict go ahead but I'll wait till after the GPs, Nats and Euros. Predicting the Worlds is an art~

Joe

On the Ice
    Looks like a great roster! I hope they plan on inviting pairs skaters or dancers to do a program, like last year.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Wow, I'm so surprised and glad that Emanuel got invted! The GPF title must have helped. Hopefully the event will not be as boring as last year. But seeing that Lambiel's name is not on the roster, I really hope they at least asked him to participate. The 4th place finisher at Worlds deserves a call.

Custom Title
    If Plushenko is not able to skate in this competition, I would much rather see Stephane Lambiel invited than some 12th place Russian skater from Worlds. Lambiel was 4th in Worlds and because of that would really deserve to be invited.

In ladies they have invited all ladies 1-5 in Worlds, but in men only 1-2 and 5th. That seems a bit strange. Johnny Weir and Evan Lycasek, both favourites of mine, but would have liked to see Weiss also...

Marjaana
    Last edited by Jaana; 07-31-2004 at 02:56 AM.

Creative Compilation Compiler aka 3axel
    Fumie was the Japan Federation favorite for a long time, but lately I think she's been bypassed by others. Will she be able to make a comeback, the way Shizuka did? The Japan Nats should be tougher that ever this year, and its going to be very difficult for Fumie or Yoshi to medal.

If Irina has a conflict, maybe the Russians will send Elena.

3axel

Invite Evan and Eman but not Mike? What's up with that?

RGal, my thoughts exactly.........what's up with that? Other than that glaring omission, looks like a solid roster.......42

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Last year they had trouble filling the slots of people who dropped out. Irina and Yags. So I guess this year they are overbooking.
    I think you're right, they overbooked like an economy airline.

Six skaters is fine because they can all warm-up at the same time and there is only 1)men's warm-up 2)mens' comp 3)zamboni break/intermission (are there going to be "exhibitions like B&G and S&D last year?) 4) lady's warm-up 5) ladies comp. With eight skaters each, they will need to have two warm-up groups of 4 each and more Zamboni time, almost doubling the length of the event.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast