"The Village"........ | Golden Skate

"The Village"........

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
"The Village"........May contain Spoilers.........

This was the second flick we saw.....(had to travel a few blocks to see this, as it wasn't playing at the same theater as "Manchurian Candidate".......

My first thought was to say if you planned on seeing it, don't bother. But as I think back, you might want to go to see the marvelous acting job Ron Howard's daughter does in this movie. Her name is Bryce Howard and she is rivoting.

If you think this is a horror movie, you'll be disappointed. It is full of suspense at times, but when all is revealed at the end, you might be a bit disgusted or feel cheated, as it falls flat of it's premise.........if anyone doesn't plan on seeing this but wants to know the "secret" of the movie.........p.m. me and I'll save you the price of the ticket........42

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
Based upon the commercial, I probably won't rush to see this one. The woods in the commercial remind me too much of the ones behind my property - don't want to get too creeped out. If the reviews are very good, I'll end up putting it my list of movies to see eventually.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Heyang.......put this on your list of "movies to rent".........maybe you should see this movie if for nothing more than to alleviate your fears for the woods.....42

mpal2

Final Flight
People usually think I'm crazy when I say that I love all of M. Shyamalin's (sp?) movies. I love the way everything ties together and I always get more out of a 2nd or 3rd viewing. The subtlety he uses is amazing. He is one of my favorite directors and I always look forward to any new film of his.

I haven't seen The Village yet, but I see that coming in my Saturday night plans.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
mpal..........let me know what you think.....the acting was great, the suspense was "spot" on.......the plot development was intriguing.........but, I left the movie theater miffed, and the more I thought about it, the more upset I got.....I can't say more without revealing the movie.....by the way, I loved "Signs", so it's not his work that I object to, just this particular movie and the way it was resolved at the end.........I would love to discuss it with someone who has seen it..............42

mpal2

Final Flight
I'm glad to meet another Signs fan. Most of the people I know didn't like it because there was too much conversation going on. I absolutely loved it. Which reminds me, I loaned it to a friend and desparately need it back. :cry:

Signs reminded me of a Hitchcock film in a way. Both movies were more about the actors discussing a philosophy of life rather than action and adventure. The Hitchcock movie is called Rope. That movie is one of the most twisted I have ever seen and I loved every minute of it.

mike79

On the Ice
I really want to see this film. I'm a huge fan of Unbreakable, although I wasn't into The Sixth Sense. Never saw Signs, it looks too cheesy for me.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
well the reviews that I read (RE and others) were really critical (nobody gave it more than a single star). I got really interested by the recent ABC showing of the Unbreakable, where there was a special preview of the Village. I am really considering seeing it, and I really don't watch a lot of movies.

I loved the Signs.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I'm just heartbroken about all the mixed or slightly less than good reviews the village is getting... I have been anxiously awaiting the release since I first saw the preview. I loved his first 3 movies, signs was probably my favorite followed by unbreakable and then the sixth sense. Sixth Sense was his largest commercial success, but I felt that the "twist" was weakest in that movie.

I agree that it is not his intention to make "scary" or horror films, they are more eerie, creepy or suspensefull. To me the only truely scarey moment in any of his films was when the alien is first shown on the homevideo camera recording from the mexican birthday party... you know, when it walks by the back porch and the music does that thing that makes your heart fall into your stomach. eek!!!

I'm still definately going to see the village, but I have decided to budget napolean dynamite into the entertainment fund before I go see the village.

mpal2

Final Flight
I'm heading out to see it tonight and looked up some of the reviews on yahoo. The critics are evil about it, but the viewers that have rated it so far have either given it an A or an F. It seems to be a love/hate thing. I'll post my opinion later tonight.

mpal2

Final Flight
Just got back from The Village and LOVED it!!! :love:

Show 42, we'll either have to start a thread that warns about spoilers or start in on the PM's. I can see why people might be irritated with it if they expected something else, but this is exactly what I expected and hoped for even though I didn't know the whole plot. You said this wasn't a horror movie, but in a way it was. Isn't the real monster capable of the worst horrors?

Shyamalan always manages to create a mood within the film and he keeps building on it. I love his imagery and camera work. His films have a very distinct feel to them that are different than your everyday blockbusters and I love every second of it. He didn't disappoint me in this one, and IMO he keeps improving on what makes his films special. Each new film he releases becomes my new favorite. :)

Edited to add: Blythe Howard was absolutely amazing in this film. Has she been in anything else and I just haven't seen her? Also, I will have to get the soundtrack. The violinist (which I've already forgotten her name) was great.

Last edited: