Amazing Race | Golden Skate

Amazing Race

heyang

Record Breaker
Is anyone else watching? I'm finding that the teams seem a lot more competitive. Each of them has a real chance to get to the end.

Ugh - 2.2 pounds of caviar. I like a little bit, but not straight. It's gotta be on a blini or cracker. Based upon the clips, it seemed like the teams who told themselves to just get it down were able to do it faster. Christie and Nicole kept on dwelling on how gelatinous and nasty it was - definitely setting up a mental roadblock. But, seriously, that's a lot of food to eat in one sitting. My stomach hurt once after eating a high quality 1/2 pound burger once - I had to sit up with a sofa cushion in my lap because it was too uncomfortable to lie down. So, eating 2.2 pounds of anything is amazing.

I'm really not liking Brandon, the Christian model. He wouldn't do a vodka shot because he wanted to set a good example. So, instead, he goes back on his word. Last week, he broke his early alliance with Charla & Mirna. This week, he backed out of staying with Colin/Christie, Chip/Kim & pizza guys. As Kim said, you can't blame them for playing the game. I just have issues with it because he continuously talks about his faith and then turns 2 faced.

Overall, I think my current favorites are the bowling Moms. They are being competitive, but they aren't getting all uptight about stuff. Just having fun while trying their best.

guinevere

Final Flight
TAR is awesome!!! :love: :love: :love:

My favorite team is Charla/Mirna (although Mirna is starting to grate a bit), and I am rooting for Chip/Kim and the moms. I absolutely adored Bob/Joyce and was crushed that they were eliminted. Totally a class act.

I hate Brandon/Nicole (aka The Children of God) and I think Colin races well but is a jerk. Colin is totally running the show on that team - Christie doesn't have enough of a personality for me to form an opinion of her.

The twins are alternately amusing and annoying, and the pizza brothers are jerks, but I'd rather they stay in the race than either of the "pretty" couples.

It's so hard to wait a whole 7 days between episodes!!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I would take 2.2 pounds of caviar over those nasty writhing baby octopus they had to gag down last season in Korea!! :eek:

I really liked this last episode; it was kind of like 2 different races, with the first 5 arriving when they did, then the last 3. I thought it was so sweet when Bob asked Joyce on the way to the palace (which was GORGEOUS) if she'd ever been on a sleigh ride. She's a sweetie, but I found him a bit of a grump most of the time.

ITA, heyang, about Brandon & Nicole and their "selective Christianity". This is not the first time they've kind of screwed someone over; perhaps it would be better if they were to just stay away from everyone else and do their own thing.

At this point, I'm rooting for either Chip & Kim or Linda & Karen. I DESPISE those brothers and the only reason I want them to stick around is because of the potential of some nasty things happening to them before they get eliminated. :D They are creating enough bad karma for that to happen, that's for sure.

heyang

Record Breaker
I can't get over when one of the pizza guys said 'Damn foreigners' when they were in Uraguay. They were the foreigners - not the taxi drivers. I would've loved if someone had yelled 'Arrogant American' back at him.

At least Colin & Brandon were trying to coax Christie and Nicole into eating more caviar; so, their relationships seem pretty strong. The only couple that didn't seem to be in a good relationship was Alison & Donny. Glad she's gone.

guinevere

Final Flight
heyang said:
At least Colin & Brandon were trying to coax Christie and Nicole into eating more caviar; so, their relationships seem pretty strong. The only couple that didn't seem to be in a good relationship was Alison & Donny. Glad she's gone.
Brandon was quite supportive of Nicole, but Colin was being really rude to Christie, I thought. Once she completely melted down, and the other teams began passing them, Colin became more supportinve, but at first, all he did was badger her to take smaller bites (I don't blame her one bit for trying to take fewer, larger bites - that seemed to be the key), and get frustrated with her. We heard him say several times that he wished he'd done the challenge - when he was the one who said he'd never be able to get it down so she should do it!

I'm definitely with you about Alison & Donny. The BB/TAR crossover idea was lame, and I'm glad they're out early.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I agree that Colin was rude to Christie. I don't like him or the brothers. Chip bugs me too.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Those octopuses from Korea were BEYOND gross. I had forgotten about that. :sheesh:

I am loving TAR this season so far. I was MAJOR bummed about Joyce and Bob getting booted though. I really liked them. I got all teary at the end when he turned to her and asked her if she'd ever been on a sleigh ride before, and then since they knew they were probably last anyway, they just enjoyed the ride. That was so sweet. I am gonna miss those two. They were one of my fave teams. :(

I too am very fond of the Bowling moms ("Gee,we beat the twins at an eating contest, big shock!!" was the line of the night, LOL). The brothers sometimes get on my nerves and the two youngerish couples get on my nerves sometimes, but they don't grate on my nerves nearly as much as Myrna and Smirna. They are SOOOO two faced themselves because one minute, they are going on about how they want to prove to the other teams that they can do everything just as well as the other teams, and then the next minute they are all like, poor us and poor little Charla because she's small and can't do much so please help us out. You either want to prove what you say or you don't so stop being so wishy washy. I wouldn't be upset if they were gone this next week. The twins are okay sometimes (they have their moments, LOL) and Chip and Kim are growing on me. I was happy they managed to get to the front of the pack after trailing behind for so long. They've had their moments for me too (I think every team is going to have a moment or two or three that will drive us all nuts in this game) but they aren't so bad. I can't wait for this next episode. It looks like they will be in Egypt next! Cool. :D

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm a Charla/Mirna fan. I like strong women. They've been double-crossed, and they've been dissed by most of the men on the show. I believe that's because the men #1-don't like being beaten by 2 women & #2-they can't handle the fact that Charla is also a little person but has twice the guts that their women do. Go Charla!!!

heyang

Record Breaker
I meant to do this last season, but missed some of the info.....I was wondering which team actually makes it in the fastest overall time. So, I've been keeping track of each of their start times and end times. I haven't done the actual computations, but here are the overall time differences between 1st and almost last place by leg....

Leg 1 - 51 minutes between Allison/Donny and Father/Daughter teams

Leg 2 - 82 minutes between Charla/Mirna & Twins

Leg 3 - 144 minutes between colin/Christie & Pizza Guys

Won't be able to determine difference between Chip/Kim and twins until they show the times at the start of Leg 5.

Finishing 1st on the last leg doesn't mean that the team actually finished the fastest.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
That was harsh....

I'm glad the bowling moms are still in, but to have all their cash taken away AND not get any for the next leg - I can't wait to see what happens.

Props to Charla for going down below to get the bag!!!! And why did Mirna keep saying 'Belissimo' in Russia???? But good for them for getting an earlier flight to Cairo!!! Can't wait to see what happens between them and Colin/Christie next week.

I can't stand Marshall and Lance - I want them out NOW!!!! Their comments on the Russian people on the train were just rude.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

guinevere

Final Flight
3 hours 4 minutes between Chip/Kim and the Mensa Twins in Leg 4.

Also, Colin & Christie checked in at the pit stop at 11:27am - 3 hours before the 2nd flight (w/Charla & Mirna) arrived in Cairo. I will be interested to see next week what time Char/Mir got to the pit stop - it was nighttime, so at least 8pm, I would think.

However, Colin & Christie were idiots for taking the Fast Forward. At that point they had a 7 hour lead on the next fastest team. This is NOT the time to take the Fast Forward! As we saw from the preview for next week, Charla and Mirna will catch up with them on the next leg, so their lead will evaporate. Colin is a master at arranging flights, and has been generally racing well, but this was just stupid.

Charla and Mirna did great this leg! Charla cntinues to impress me. I loved her running commentary while doing the Roadblock (Herm - Mirna says "Bellissimo" when she's excited no matter what country they're in. I think she just likes to say it)

I'm really glad that Chip & Kim are still hanging in there. Bummed that Chip helped the horrible Children o' God team, because I can't stand them. :eek: at Brandon for whining about doing the Roadblock after Nicole had to eat the caviar last week.

Glad that the moms weren't eliminated, but I don't know how they're going to stay in the game next week.

Best show ever!

guinevere

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Interesting twist that now if you come in last in a non-elimination round you have to give up all your money and apparently beg in the streets. I CAN'T WAIT for Marshall and Lance to have to do that, with their oh-so-charming personalities.... :sheesh:

Fun fact: The Hermitage museum, where they had to find the Rembrandt, is apparently within a stone's throw of Yubileiny Palace, where Tamara Moskvina trained Bereznaja/Sikharulidze & Kazakova/Dmitriev, and where Yagudin, Urmanov, and Plushenko trained before Yagudin went to the US. You can apparently see the Hermitage from some of the windows there. As a matter of fact, during the hockey challenge in the previous episode, I was wondering if maybe that was in the Yubileiny...

ITA it was stupid for Colin & Christie to take the FF. HOWEVER -- I think how it will work to their advantage is because of the fact that they got to skip all the climbing down into the tunnel and hauling the rocks across the sand, etc, etc, they will be considerably more rested than the other teams. Big leads on that show mean nothing, however, because you know sooner or later EVERYONE ends up waiting at an airport at 3AM for the ticket windows to open 3 hours later, regardless of how big of a lead they may have had the day before. If I were on that show and my setoff time was 2:15AM and the next instruction was to go get plane tickets, I'd say "Screw it" and go back to bed for another 2 1/2 hours..... :laugh:

guinevere

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
If I were on that show and my setoff time was 2:15AM and the next instruction was to go get plane tickets, I'd say "Screw it" and go back to bed for another 2 1/2 hours..... :laugh:
Considering how lousy some TAR contestants are at directions, they all probably need every minute!

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
YAY!!! The moms are still in it!!!!! That made my night!! Good for them in overcoming their disadvantage and making it through this leg of the race. :D

I was kinda bummed for the brothers though. They definitely suffered with the one's knees doing so badly. As much as they weren't my faves, it was a bummer that they couldn't even finish this leg of the race. He should have at least gave it a shot to try to find that bug thing though. Oh well. Onto the next leg. Go Linda and Karen!! :D :D :D :D :D

guinevere

Final Flight
I'm also glad the moms made it through to the next leg. Their bad luck better clear up, though!

Colin is impressing me more and more each week with his racing, and disgusting me more and more with his attitude. I really can't stand him. And his little dog, too!

Yay Chip & Kim! Glad to see them staying in the top half of the competition. The Mensa Twins managed to get through this leg without too many huge problems (although I loved one of them taking a header at the end - HA!).

Rough leg for my favorites Charla & Mirna - hope they bouce back next week.

The Children of God were totally meh as always.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I am seriously starting to wonder how the Mensa Twins can even manage to get in and out of taxicabs; they are truly getting dumber every week. :eek:

As expected, the 7-hour lead meant nothing because once again, everyone ended up stacked up at the airport. I would be really irritated if I had a 7-hour lead and ended up sitting there with everyone else 12 hours later. But then again, Colin is pretty much on Perpetually Irritated Mode anyway, tho I can understand why they got ticked over the taxi thing. Ordinarily it wouldn't have been a big deal, but given that C & C were holding the cab, Charla & Mirna picked the WRONG MOMENT to try that. And tho Mirna has her days when she could drive Mother Theresa to try out her backhand (she was in great form last night and I'm still expecting Charla at some point to just smack her one, tho I think Charla should have done the digging), I think she may be on to something when she basically accused Colin of being a psychotic potential wife-beater. I've gotten a bad vibe off him from day one; that boy ain't quite raht. And when you add in the fact that he and "his little dog" (thanks, guinevere! :laugh: ) can't even seem to cross at a stoplight with a 6-hour lead without getting into some kind of arguement.....

That is just NOT the way I wanted Marshall & Lance to leave the game. I was hoping for a last-place non-elimination round so they would have to use those oh-so-charming personalities (they were trashing Charla & Mirna on The Early Show this morning) to have to beg for money the way Linda & Karen did. But under the circumstances I don't blame them for throwing in the towel. They supposedly had been digging for 2 1/2 hours (which I suspect is an exaggeration) and once you realize you're in last place anyway and your knee is killing you for the third straight day, why keep trekking?

Johar

Medalist
Mirna isn't much use, as Charla usually does the work while Mirna is calling, "Run Charla!"

I feels so sorry for the NYC brothers of Marshall and Lance when one who had the knee problem.

The models....Brandon and Nicole....I don't know what to think of them. He looks rather like Christopher Atkins did in The Blue Lagoon!

Colin and his partner, Christi, irritate me for some reason.

Like the black couple alot. He should definitely be in the entertainment industry, as he has personality.

I was shocked nobody knew what a scarab looked like!

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Johar said:
Mirna isn't much use, as Charla usually does the work while Mirna is calling, "Run Charla!"

I KNOW!! And you know she's going as fast as she can, she's just got those little legs!! She can only go SO fast. I hope the battle for last place one of these days doesn't come down to a footrace between Charla/Mirna and someone else, because C/M aren't going to have a chance. Charla CAN indeed do anything anyone else can do, but the poor girl just can't run!!