Has anyone read "Frozen Assets'? | Golden Skate

Has anyone read "Frozen Assets'?

P

plum pudding girl

Has anyone read "Frozen Assets'?

I am a sucker for skating books-I have autobios, I have Beverly Smith, and even Christine Brennan. I saw this one which has come out in the last few months. Is it worth the $$ in your opinions? I didn't buy the last Toller book because it got mixed reviews (tho' I may yet succumb!), but I haven't heard much about "Frozen Assets" on any of the boards.

K

KwanRachs

Re: Has anyone read "Frozen Assets'?

I don't know a lot about it, but it's supposed to be a critical look at FS from th Tonya-Nancy scenario to professional circuits to Salt Lake City (re: judging). Nothing fs fans don't already know, I think, or at least have heard rumors about. It has been rated well by 2 people on amazon.com.

H

heyang

I read it.

It talks mostly about behind the scenes stuff: IMG, Michael Collins, pro skating...not so much about eligible stuff. I don't think there are any real surprises for people who are 'into' skating. It's probably more interesting if you don't know much about the skating world.

L

Ladskater

A better book to read then "Frozen Assets" would be Sandra Bezics Book - "The Passion to Skate." We have had enough rhetoric about the political side of skating.

Ladskater

P

piddlediddle

I'm reading it now

:eek: I am a very fast reader. I have been reading it for about, oh let's see, three months? I'm on chapter 5; I just can't get through it. It makes absolutely no sense. It is almost as if Lund took all the IFS magazines, tore them apart, shuffled the pages and then published it. And it is going to be out of date very quickly. There are a lot of references to "this year" or "last year", which, in my opinion, will leave a later reader baffled about the time line.

I'm probably too critical (you THINK?) but after reading a few paragraphs I think "What????"

I'm glad I didn't spend my money on this book. It was a gift.

But then, go figure, I love Christine Brennan's books.

M

megsk8z

Re: I'm reading it now

I read it. A lightweight book by a lightweight guy who doesn't want to offend anyone lest he not get any more interviews in the future.
At least that's what I got out of it.

S

Spirit889

I wrote a long review of it back in February, but it appears to have fallen off the system by now. I'll try to repost it tonight if I can.

J

JillLaQ

Not to change the subject, but I hear Scott Hamilton's book, "Landing It" is pretty dishy. Any truth to that?

T

thvudragon

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Not to change the subject, but I hear Scott Hamilton's book, "Landing It" is pretty dishy. Any truth to that? [/quote]

I wouldn't trust an ounce of anything from Scott H. His criticism of other skaters all revolve around his wallet. Why can't Scott H. just dissappear so the world can be a better place? If Dorothy H. doesn't like him, than there is no reason for anyone to like him.

TV

F

fml99

To be fair...

I think Dorothy's wallet affects her opinions as well.

G

Grgranny

I haven't read it either. As far as Dorothy is concerned, I think her husband at the time was the one that got into it with Scott, her hubby thought she should be the headliner and Scott wouldn't do it. I don't blame him but I am sure there is no love lost there. I hate to believe that our sweet Dorothy would be like that but who knows? Not me.

J

JillLaQ

This one is obviously worth my time.:lol:

D

dlksk8fan

I read the book "Frozen Assets" I wouldn't rush out to buy it. I didn't like how the book was full of quotes form people in the skating world. It was like a long interview. No new news about the world of skating that us die hard fans don't already know. I did however find the "Gone With The Gold" chapter about Tara Lipinski interesting. "Team Tara"(Tara and mom) against the USFSA. Her mom just came across as a big complainer.

plum pudding girl -I would spend my $ on Tollers' books anytime. Tollers' insights into the world of figure skating are much more interesting then Mr Lund's

B

Becca27

I'm reading it at the mo & have been for a while, there are some good bits but other skating books are better imo.

Becca

P

plum pudding girl

Thanks everybody! You were a lot of help--a book-length IFS I don't need! I will divert my funds to Toller's "Ice Cream"--which should at least be witty-if not always truthful!

K

Kasey

I just read Toller Cranston's "Ice Cream"...I'm going to HAVE to buy his other books, he's great!! Haven't read "Frozen Assets", but it doesn't sound great, from what folks here say.

"Landing it" is a good book if you like Scott Hamilton, which I do. I really enjoyed it, as well as Jozef Sabovcik's book...but as I said, I'm fans of both already.

Kasey

L

Lcp88

Frozen Assetts looks at the political and money-making veiw, where as Christine Brennan and such do alot more with the acctual skating aspect. I found the chapters about IMG, CCM and Tom Collins informative but really confusing. Lund devotes about half the book to that, and a little bit to the judging. It talked about the year 1994, and the whole Nacny/Tonya saga, and the demise of Pro skating. Overall, I would recommend it only if you like to hear about politics.
However, it did have the exact wording of the infamous 02 Dance petition, and some coaches and judges reactions, which I liked.
Laura

L

Ladskater

I read "Landing It" by Scott. I enjoyed most of it. Of course, books like these are autobiographical so one is going to get the skaters' perspective on things. They lived it. I also enjoyed Brassuer and Eislers book. LLoyd is so honest and down to earth and Isabelle is a sweetheart. Anything by Toller would be great - he is so candid about figure skating and not afraid to express his true feelings. I also recommend reading Kurt Browning's biography and Brian Orsers.

It's funny how Dorothy and Scott ended up hating one another. I think Dorothy likes to be in charge by the sounds of it and so does Scott. There you go. Two dynamic personalities working against each other. Didn't Dorothy purchase Ice Capades and lose it? So much for her entrepreneurial spirit.

Ladskater