Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Evgeny Plushenko

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other (please name)

Votes: 9 20.0%

• Total voters

Matt

On the Ice
This is kind of a weird one, but in the years since Denise Bielmann yanked her foot over her head and introduced her now famous "Bielmann spin" who do you think had or has either the best Bielmann spin or your most favourite Bielmann spin or the skaters who have done one?

NOTE: I'm referring to the full Bielmann spin done w/ both hands, not the "half Bielmann" spin that many skaters done w/ their opposite arm/leg

Last edited:

Matt

On the Ice
My vote went to Nicole Bobek. I have a clip of her LP from the '98 Nats on my computer. That girl has some serious flexibility. It's almost painful to watch

Vash01

Medalist
I voted for Denise Biellman. No one else did it as well as she did it, even in pro competitions.

Oksana Baiul did not do the Biellman spin.

Irina Slutskaya is the only one to do it on both feet, so I was tempted to vote for her, but hers are not as good as Denise's.

Among others- another Swiss skater Nathalie (her last name escapes me) had a really good one. I think NNN did it, but can't be sure.

Vash

Matt

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
Oksana Baiul did not do the Biellman spin.

I was pretty sure she did one in her Black Swan SP at the '94 Olys. I'll check my videos again; I might have imagined that one. If I'm wrong, I apologise for that one!

Vash01

Medalist
No, she did the donut spin in her 94 SP. That's not the Biellman. I am 100% sure, even without watching the tape.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I picked "other". I always loved Naomi Nari Nam's Biellmann. So that's my choice.

I think Lucinda Ruh should be on the list too. My favorite Biellmann spins are Naomi's, Lucinda's, Nicole's and Denise's.

(edited: Can't believe I originally wrote "Diane" instead of "Denise"...must be getting old!)

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
I picked Denise, though Yevgeni is a close second just b/c guys don't even try the spin. I remember watching Denise and her super toned body doing the spin in the '90s, well after her Worlds and marveled how a woman in her 30's could do that. She also did it well with a straight back and lots of speed. Plus she gets props just for being the first to be credited with the spin (Moskvina says she did it first and according to Brennan, has photos from back in the day of her doing the spin).

floskate

On the Ice
Soogar there's a clip of Moskvina doing the biellmann in the 60's on rinkside and soulseek. Search under Tamara Bratas. It wasn't as well extended as Denise but it is the same spin.

I voted for Denise from the list naturally but my other faves are Lucinda and Nathalie Krieg. Both were outstanding.

Actually Plushy isn't the only man to do a biellmann - Shawn Sawyer does one to and it's much better with the foot right up to the head.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
IMO the original is still the best -- Denise Biellmann. Maybe in part because the first time I ever saw her do it, my jaw hit the ground! :D Back then it was still a novelty; now it's become much more common so for me the move has kind of lost its initial thrill.

gumms

Spectator
Best "Bielmann Spin" I guess it is only right to say Denise Bielmann who crowned it, but the best rendition of her original spin is most definitely Naomi Nari Nam. One of only a handful of skates that even does it correctly (two hands and head arched back). And honorable mentions also to Lucinda Ruh and Nathalie Krieg who can do just about any spins equally as well or even better as the originators.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I voted for Denise Biellmann, because I have always seen hers, the original one, to be the best one.

Vash01

Medalist
floskate said:
Soogar there's a clip of Moskvina doing the biellmann in the 60's on rinkside and soulseek. Search under Tamara Bratas. It wasn't as well extended as Denise but it is the same spin.

I voted for Denise from the list naturally but my other faves are Lucinda and Nathalie Krieg. Both were outstanding.

Actually Plushy isn't the only man to do a biellmann - Shawn Sawyer does one to and it's much better with the foot right up to the head.

I saw Andrei Griazev do it at a Jr.GP a few years back. I don't know if he is still doing it.

Vash

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
soogar said:
I picked Denise, though Yevgeni is a close second just b/c guys don't even try the spin. I remember watching Denise and her super toned body doing the spin in the '90s, well after her Worlds and marveled how a woman in her 30's could do that. She also did it well with a straight back and lots of speed. Plus she gets props just for being the first to be credited with the spin (Moskvina says she did it first and according to Brennan, has photos from back in the day of her doing the spin).

to this day, denise not only does the biellmann, but also lands triple salchows routinely.

i remember her being interviewed once, and she told people that he has a special machine that helps her practice the biellmann.

icenut84

Final Flight
Out of those, I voted for Irina, because when she does a good one I think she has a lovely oval position, plus she can do it on both feet (am I right in thinking she's the only one who does that? Don't think I've ever seen anyone else do both Biellmanns). Also worth a mention is Julia Sebestyen, who also has a great position when she gets into the position.

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Thanks for the pics. Plushenko's first pic is not of a Biellman. It is the spiral he does, holding his foot. I am also not sure about Denise's because I have seen her pull the foot much higher than in this pic.

Lucinda's position looks awesome!