Choreographic simplicity versus complexity | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Choreographic simplicity versus complexity

gkelly

Record Breaker
As for skaters who do difficult transitions but hold edges rather than rush through them, the only skater who comes to mind who actually does this is Jason Brown. That's not to say that everyone else rushes through all their transitions...but it's very rare that I have a "oooooh you're doing a such a good job holding that edge and looking sexy" from the majority of skaters.

Yes, I agree about Brown.

A few examples, post-2010 short programs because there's the most time for transitions between elements, where I think the programs are more complex than most of what we saw pre-IJS but the overall impression is more leisurely than rushed:

Chan -- best example, I think

Asada

Kostner

Abbott

Farris

I could also find other favorite programs -- long programs, earlier eras, less lyrical music -- that demonstrate complexity in the blade work and full body work, both during and between elements, without seeming to me rushed or overly busy. And some that seem appropriately busy. :)

Layback11

Record Breaker
As a skater myself, I appreciate and enjoy complex, difficult choreography more than simple choreography for two reasons.

1. I know firsthand how difficult it is. I often see a cool bit of choreography like, for example, the twizzles into the illusion in Alina Z.'s SP, and it will stay with me long after the performance, moreso even than a quad or triple-triple. It may be less flashy than a jump or spin, but as a skater, I know that a hard transition can be just as difficult. Makes me appreciate them more.

2. Footwork and transitions are my favorite things about my own programs. Since I'm a choreographically inclined skater, it's natural that I would like skaters who share that quality. And besides, It's really fun to come up with new ways to enter and exit elements or little bits of footwork, so when I see difficult transitions, I want to copy them if at all possible.

I certainly see the merit in simpler choreography done well, but I personally enjoy complex choreography more.