Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Your top 5 skaters in skating skills

5 Not allowed!

Your top 5 skaters in skating skills

Go Ad-Free! Become a GS Supporter! Thank you
    You know, PCS is always wrong. Skaters can do incredible transitions like Evgenia or Alina, but can't have amazing skating skills. And vice versa. But I don't know why it's always on the same level. So...

I was thinking about to create some small list of top skaters with superb skating skills. Only it. Nothing more. Not transitions, jumps or etc. Just skating.

That's mine:

Men:

Patrick Chan 10
    Denis Ten 9
    Yuzuru Hanyu 9
    Jason Brown 8
    Javier Fernandez 8

Ladies:

Anastasia Gubanova 10 - (Yeah, I know, sorry... don't laugh at me, she is only 14, but I can't handle myself, she is pure perfection )
    Carolina Kostner 10
    Adelina Sotnikova 9.5
    Maria Sotskova 8
    Elena Radionova 8

What's your top five?

Bona Fide Member

2 Not allowed!
    If we're going with active skaters:

MEN:
    Chan
    Hanyu
    Brown
    Uno
    Ten

LADIES:
    Kostner
    Pogorilaya
    Medvedeva
    Asada
    Osmond

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    LADIES:
    Kostner
    Pogorilaya
    Medvedeva
    Asada
    Osmond
    I'd have a list similar to yours, except replacing Gracie for Caro. She's really got to bring back speed to her programs because, for me, that is what sets her apart from the current field.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I'd have a list similar to yours, except replacing Gracie for Caro. She's really got to bring back speed to her programs because, for me, that is what sets her apart from the current field.
    I agree. Even with her speed, she was not my cup of tea until this program. It's her 2012 LP and she was like a different person during this program and I absolutely loved it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjBtanpTYTY

2 Not allowed!
    In approximate order, from best to least-best.

Ladies:
    Carolina
    Adelina
    Mao
    Gracie
    Anna

Men:
    Patrick (duhhhhhhh)
    Yuzuru
    Denis
    Javier
    Jason

Banned

0 Not allowed!
    Just the pure fact that Pogo can't hold her outside edge long enough for the lutz should disqualify her from "great" skating skills. She's fast and powerful but edge skill is sloppy.

Bona Fide Member

2 Not allowed!
    Men:

Patrick Chan
    Jason Brown
    Kurt Browning
    Javi
    Denis Ten

Women:

Michelle Kwan
    Mao Asada
    Yuna Kim
    Gracie Gold
    Osmond

Rinkside

3 Not allowed!
    Radionova?!?!?

Bona Fide Member

23 Not allowed!
    Radianova???
    Pogorilaya???
    Med???

What are y'all smoking?

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Just the pure fact that Pogo can't hold her outside edge long enough for the lutz should disqualify her from "great" skating skills. She's fast and powerful but edge skill is sloppy.
    Please. So that means Mao is automatically disqualified from great skating skills? Even Kwan didn't have a solid outside edge on her lutz.

Not to mention, Pogorilaya hasn't exactly been edge called on her lutzes.
    Last edited by CanadianSkaterGuy; 12-13-2016 at 04:38 PM.

Bona Fide Member

4 Not allowed!
    Maybe there should have been some kind of definition of what "skating skills" is. For me, and I've said this so many times on this board, it isn't about landing quad jumps or what edge they take off on. To me it's a smoothness, musicality and musical interpretation of the music, telling a story, beautiful footwork, no flailing arms, no telegraphing jumps, landing the jumps with the free leg strongly behind them, transitions that are not choppy, a feeling that the skater is skating to the music and not the items in the choreography. Right now, and for some time, I don't think there's a skater in the world that comes close to Patrick Chan in skating skills. He may not always land his jumps, you may not like his music or his coach or him, but there is no one smoother and more complete....IMO. Jason comes very close. Again, my opinion only and from watching figure skating for over 50 years, skaters like Hanyu and Uno and Chen are all super-athletes. Super athletes. The other skater I forgot to mention was Daisuke Takahashi.....with the right music he was magical.

And this is what bothers me about the skaters coming up from Juniors and Novice. It's all about the jumps. The skating skills as I think of them are going by the wayside.

Rinkside

2 Not allowed!
    in no order
    Johnson, Yan, Hanyu, Chan and Kozuka (wanted to list only currently competitive skaters but taka's ss deserve some love)

i will have to think more about the ladies
    Last edited by kaarle; 02-01-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Banned

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Please. So that means Mao is automatically disqualified from great skating skills? Even Kwan didn't have a solid outside edge on her lutz.

Not to mention, Pogorilaya hasn't exactly been edge called on her lutzes.
    You have trouble understanding basic English. When did I say not having a lutz = not great skating skills?

Bona Fide Member

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Maybe there should have been some kind of definition of what "skating skills" is. For me, and I've said this so many times on this board, it isn't about landing quad jumps or what edge they take off on. To me it's a smoothness, musicality and musical interpretation of the music, telling a story, beautiful footwork, no flailing arms, no telegraphing jumps, landing the jumps with the free leg strongly behind them, transitions that are not choppy, a feeling that the skater is skating to the music and not the items in the choreography. Right now, and for some time, I don't think there's a skater in the world that comes close to Patrick Chan in skating skills. He may not always land his jumps, you may not like his music or his coach or him, but there is no one smoother and more complete....IMO. Jason comes very close. Again, my opinion only and from watching figure skating for over 50 years, skaters like Hanyu and Uno and Chen are all super-athletes. Super athletes. The other skater I forgot to mention was Daisuke Takahashi.....with the right music he was magical.

And this is what bothers me about the skaters coming up from Juniors and Novice. It's all about the jumps. The skating skills as I think of them are going by the wayside.
    Agreed. Patrick Chan is superb skating skills personified.

I'd add Cizeron to the list.

8 Not allowed!

Go Ad-Free! Become a GS Supporter! Thank you
    * I couldn't narrow down to 5, there are so many ties!!

MEN
    Patrick CHAN - smoothness, nuance
    Han YAN - smoothness, speed
    Michal BREZINA - smoothness, precision
    Keegan MESSING - smoothness, nuance
    Javier FERNANDEZ (especially in EX) - power, nuance
    Denis TEN - nuance, precision
    Shoma UNO (when he doesn't lean forward too much) - speed, nucance
    Takahito MURA - power, precision

Honorable mention:
    Deniss VASILJEVS
    Liam FIRUS
    Alexander JOHNSON
    Moris KVITELASHVILI

LADIES
    Mao ASADA - smoothness, nuance
    Alena LEONOVA - smoothness, speed
    Courtney HICKS - power, precision
    Carolina KOSTNER (not sure yet after her come back) - speed, nuance
    Kaetlyn OSMOND - nuance, power
    Gracie GOLD - speed, precision
    Anna POGORILAYA - smoothness, power
    Satoko MIYAHARA - precision, nuance

Honorable mention:
    Gabrielle DALEMAN
    Mai MIHARA
    Serafima SAKHANOVICH

This is just my personal list. My focus was mainly on lower body, especially on their edge work. My list may look strange and it may not reflect the current SS marks. I am NOT saying that those top skaters receiving high SS marks are not great skaters, because they really are. But IMO some skaters from my list may deserve higher SS marks than now, if they succeed in jumps more (like Kozuka, Abbott, Verner etc.), had better reputation or perceived as the top skaters of their countries etc.

Also I've said if before, just because a skater is perceived as more of a "technical" skater than an "artistic" skater, that does not mean they have less skating skills. TBH, I think "technical" skaters sometimes could have better skating skills, because physical strength and control are required to achieve "good" skating.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast