Discouraged from starting late | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Discouraged from starting late

gkelly

Record Breaker
adults we run into at the rink who are often there with their kids for birthday parties, and even some who have kids doing figure skating that say they envy us. Us!? They ask us about our skating and often say they wish they had the guts to go out and try to live their dream.

Ha. A number of years ago a skater's dad came up to me after a freestyle and said "I love your guts."

My first thought was, Is that the opposite of "I hate your guts"?

But he meant it in the sense that Pink Ice describes.

Ylyzybyth

Final Flight
This is absolutely amazing! What a fabulous man. He looks like the happiest person ever. And so skilled!
Referring to the adult skating videos.

kayjane

Spectator
Most if my friends don't support me and my family didn't but now do. I know how it feels to be discouraged by something. I may be at a young age but I'm telling you this, set a dream and go for it no matter what happens. When no one else cheers for you. Cheer and encourage yourself. Because you can do it if you believe šŸ˜Š

Sk8tingAmy88

Rinkside
Reading this post has been so great and encouraging! I am also a late starter (28) and have been taking group lessons for about 10 weeks. I have found it hard to find exercise that I enjoy but I am loving skating so much. it's fantastic to hear about other late starters who are progressing and really enjoying themselves. I'm not too sure what the rink in my city offers for adults apart from the group beginner lessons but I really hope there is a program or options to keep going because I am having so much fun (and improving my fitness!)

I hope the OP gave it a go!

ANerdOnIce

Spectator
Hello~!

I'm in a similar situation, where I'm starting to skate out of the "prime" ages for figure skating and my family doesn't quite approve, but please don't let that dishearten you!
Alongside the others here, you aren't starting to late to compete! There are many different types of competitions that aren't necessarily aired on the Ice Network or posted to the internet. There's also many wonderful coaches out there that are happy to work with you no matter what to help you achieve any goals you set for yourself out on the ice.

Since you are an American resident, I have a small recommendation for you to look into, if you haven't already heard about it. The ISI or Ice Skating Institute, they are the recreational counterpart to the USFSA or United States Figure Skating Association. They have rinks that associate with it all over the States, and both National and World recognized events. There's several different level and categorized competitions that you can most certainly work towards!

But most of all, if you love to skate, skate. Do it for you, because it brings you happiness. If your husband doesn't understand, that's unfortunately his loss, but don't let that make you lose out on something you love.

Best of luck to you, and if you fall, just get back up and keep going! :)

Hinami

Rinkside
I'm late to the party replying here, but I think it's really important that you follow your passions, OP!

We have this one life (as far as we know!) and the only things we truly regret int ime are the things we didn't try...I think you should do what feel right :)

Also, understand the allure of FS as an adult: sometimes events and circumstances seems to conspire against us doing something at an early age. That's ok! There are plenty of people in that same boat as you!

My own story has some relevance to yours: I was a fanatical figure skater when I was little - inspired by the Winter Olympics! I skated from the age of 8 to 12 and advanaced quickly. But then, suddenly and tragically, my local rink closed and that was it. Skating = over. The closest rink was suddenly a 3 hour drive away and that was just not doable for my parents.

I didn't skate again until I was 20...and it was awful. I think I saw an interview with Brian Orser on YouTube once where he talked about how skating is nothing like riding a bike: you DO forget a lot if you don't practise regularly. Let's just say that for me, an 8 year hiatus was disastrous. I could still skate, pretty much, but the finesse and complexity was gone. I got over-confident anyway and took a bad fall, dislocating my shoulder. After that I just got super depressed and down about Skating. I missed it so so much but was also feeling bitter about how much I'd lost.

I'm now at a point where I want to go back, for real. But it can feel daunting and difficult without the support of your family/ SO. Honestly, with no RL skating friends, it feels sometimes like you're preaching passion into a vacuum! But sometimes to do what we love, we have to do it in spite of all the counts against us, and regardless of whether or not we have the support of others :) Things invariably get easier once you've taken that first leap, though - which you have already done!! SO keep that fighting spirit and good luck!!! <3

Sam L

Medalist
I'm late to the party replying here, but I think it's really important that you follow your passions, OP!

We have this one life (as far as we know!) and the only things we truly regret int ime are the things we didn't try...I think you should do what feel right :)

Also, understand the allure of FS as an adult: sometimes events and circumstances seems to conspire against us doing something at an early age. That's ok! There are plenty of people in that same boat as you!

My own story has some relevance to yours: I was a fanatical figure skater when I was little - inspired by the Winter Olympics! I skated from the age of 8 to 12 and advanaced quickly. But then, suddenly and tragically, my local rink closed and that was it. Skating = over. The closest rink was suddenly a 3 hour drive away and that was just not doable for my parents.

I didn't skate again until I was 20...and it was awful. I think I saw an interview with Brian Orser on YouTube once where he talked about how skating is nothing like riding a bike: you DO forget a lot if you don't practise regularly. Let's just say that for me, an 8 year hiatus was disastrous. I could still skate, pretty much, but the finesse and complexity was gone. I got over-confident anyway and took a bad fall, dislocating my shoulder. After that I just got super depressed and down about Skating. I missed it so so much but was also feeling bitter about how much I'd lost.

I'm now at a point where I want to go back, for real. But it can feel daunting and difficult without the support of your family/ SO. Honestly, with no RL skating friends, it feels sometimes like you're preaching passion into a vacuum! But sometimes to do what we love, we have to do it in spite of all the counts against us, and regardless of whether or not we have the support of others :) Things invariably get easier once you've taken that first leap, though - which you have already done!! SO keep that fighting spirit and good luck!!! <3

OMG your story is so sad. :( I hope your shoulder is okay and you're back on ice. You know those of us who actually have access to ice rinks should be on our knees thankful every day what an opportunity that is. When you think of it from that perspective, everything else pales in comparison. No rink, no skate. If you have the opportunity, go for it!

Last edited:

Hinami

Rinkside
OMG your story is so sad. :( I hope your shoulder is okay and you're back on ice. You know those of us who actually have access to ice rinks should be on our knees thankful every day what an opportunity that is. When you think of it from that perspective, everything else pales in comparison. No rink, no skate. If you have the opportunity, go for it!

haha aww thanks - you're so sweet! Yeah, I recovered ^^ it's not bad now! But it's one of those funny things, right? I hope the OP really goes with their passion. It's so important, in life in general! OP, good luck! FIGHT for it and enjoy yourself! :D I myself might soon be back in a position to skate again as I'm moving house soon. Fingers crossed. I'm so nervous about it all now!!