I, Tonya (2018) | Golden Skate

I, Tonya (2018)

Warwick360

Medalist
Tony Harding-the movie

I just read recently that Margot Robbie would play Tonya Harding in a Tonya Harding biopic "I, Tonya". Before this announcement, I didn't even know that there was going to be a Tony Harding movie. While the subject matter will be interesting no doubt, I am curious as to what spin (no pun intended) they'll do on the story because I was expecting sort of like an AMY (the Amy Winehouse documentary) approach to Tonya Harding's life before and after the incident took place, where the movie could perhaps give a behind the scenes insight to a side that was not perhaps perceived by the general public during the great furore. However, just recently this came out which seems to possibly implicate Tonya further, as being aware and complicit in the crime that took place against Kerrigan.... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...luding-smoking-gun-note-written-envelope.html

So my question is, is anyone here interested in this idea for a Tonya Harding biopic? Or is anyone else, other than myself, worried that this is just going to somehow turn into a pity party for Tonya Harding, with much "artistic licence"?:shocked:

Last edited:

whatif

Medalist
I am shocked there is no thread for this. And if I am wrong please merge, mods.

I,Tonya a mockymentary style dramedy based on a script that made "Black List" this year, which is a annual list of hottest in-demand film scripts in Hollywood.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/allison-janney-joins-margot-robbie-i-tonya-956691

But, my interest in this future film suddenly skyrocketed today as apparently Allison Jenney joined the cast as Tonya Harding's mother. Margot Robbie will play Tonya, and Sebastian Stan play her husband. They assembled a very impressive cast. I should be first in line for this.

Last edited:

whatif

Medalist
I think we made simultaneously threads on this. The script is available online and it is a dark comedy.

Warwick360

Medalist
I think we made simultaneously threads on this. The script is available online and it is a dark comedy.

:eeking::eeking::laugh:

Jesus, what are the chances, huh?

Funny thing is, I was waiting for the last few days for someone, instead of me, to post about this movie. Had to make a thread after not seeing any. I guess the saying is true, "when it rains, it pours". :shocked:

Last edited:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
That is an A-list cast so far...

Guys, who's your pick to play Nancy? :biggrin:
How about Keira Knightley (one can dream)

amethyst star

Rinkside
So my question is, is anyone here interested in this idea for a Tonya Harding biopic? Or is anyone else, other than myself, worried that this is just going to somehow turn into a pity party for Tonya Harding, with much "artistic licence"?:shocked:[/QUOTE]

I do worry that there will be a great deal of poetic license. I'd still be intrigued because of the casting choices so far. There was already a film made about the Tonya and Nancy saga titled Tonya and Nancy: The Inside Story, which featured Heather Langenkamp (Nightmare on Elm Street) as Nancy.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
US needs to let go this drama
I mean despite of it being a mockumentary, why did they have to pick this subject again and again and again....:unsure:
it's been more than a decade goodness

mrrice

Record Breaker
Amethyst star, I remember that movie. Tina (Jennifer Keaton of Families Ties)Yother's played the role of Tonya in that film.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
This movie just seems like another example of beating the dead horse. A series of really bad decisions led to a really talented person ruining their life and hurting other people- there isn't really anything to add to the story.

I am active in the skating community in Portland and there are people here who remember her. I haven't asked how they feel about it. Both her former coaches still teach in the area and are both really kind, good people. I thought the ESPN documentary did a fair job of covering the story. I really don't see how this film, "dark comedy" or not will add anything.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
A lot of people outside the figure skating community aren't as tired of this topic as we are. Plus, this movie may reach a new audience. I met so many people in their twenties who have no idea who Tonya Harding was and when I tell them about it, they are so shocked and intrigued.

andromache

Record Breaker
Sometimes, the bad things that famous people do lead to enormous pop culture phenomena. This happened way more in the 90s than it does now because people in the 90s all had the same channels, there was less to watch, so people all got involved in/invested in the same things. Tonya/Nancy was one of those things. It predated the entire OJ mess by a few months, and the OJ Simpson phenomenon had its Renaissance earlier this year. It wasn't beating a dead horse - it offered fascinating perspectives on prior events, in the context of what we have learned since then. I think Tonya/Nancy can do the same. People who complain about beating a dead horse must not be interested in what we can learn from our pasts.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
A dark comedy, eh? Because nothing says comedy quite like a vicious assault with a lead pipe.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The script isn't very good, I'm not expecting much of out this unfortunately.

This subject matter needed to be done more as a social commentary film with Amy Adams in the lead role.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Margot is too good for this material so is Scarlett Johanssen. Amy would have been great casting 5-10 years ago and she has the perfect big rounded eyes / neurosis facial expressions too.

Amber Heard would have been an inspiring choice. Maybe Amanda Seyfried, Anna Ferris ... or a much trimmer (but not too much) Rebel Wilson! :biggrin:

Nancy Kerrigan = Megan Fox :devil:

Now i want to see that movie!

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
The script isn't very good, I'm not expecting much of out this unfortunately.

This subject matter needed to be done more as a social commentary film with Amy Adams in the lead role.

Did you read the script? I'm really intrigued about it.

Some movies (and plays and musicals and shows) look great on paper, but the director, actor, producers, etc. botch the execution and the end product is awful. Similarly, maybe a good/great director and actor(s) and crew will elevate the material on paper and make it even better than initially thought.

BTW, Amy Adams would have been PERFECT for the role...at least 10-15 years ago. Excellent eye!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Sometimes, the bad things that famous people do lead to enormous pop culture phenomena. This happened way more in the 90s than it does now because people in the 90s all had the same channels, there was less to watch, so people all got involved in/invested in the same things. Tonya/Nancy was one of those things. It predated the entire OJ mess by a few months, and the OJ Simpson phenomenon had its Renaissance earlier this year. It wasn't beating a dead horse - it offered fascinating perspectives on prior events, in the context of what we have learned since then. I think Tonya/Nancy can do the same. People who complain about beating a dead horse must not be interested in what we can learn from our pasts.

I don't think this is fair, I do think that this is 'beating a dead horse' but I am always happy to learn from the past (I am a huge history nerd for that very reason). I have nothing against looking back at something to learn from it. As I said, I think the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on Tonya/Nancy did very fair job of just that. I don't think this mockumentary/dark comedy will do that. I don't think it will do anything new and it has the potential to hurt people. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I don't see anything valuable this movie will bring up that hasn't already been said.

whatif

Medalist
Amy Adams done this part before in Drop Dead Gorgeous. But then so did Allison Jenney. I like Lars and the real girl. If this is anywhere as good, I would be happy.