Health Update | Golden Skate

Health Update

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well, the Dr. (surgeon) diagnosed I have a non-aggressive breast cancer, only in the left side of underarm. I had a bone scan this past week and next Tuesday I am going for an MRI - I hear it is not the most pleasant experience. Any one here ever have an MRI? I am scared! I also have to go through a CT scan. Never had so many tests in my life! Tomorrow is my birthday, oh well.....

:eek:

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Well, the Dr. (surgeon) diagnosed I have a non-aggressive breast cancer, only in the left side of underarm. I had a bone scan this past week and next Tuesday I am going for an MRI - I hear it is not the most pleasant experience. Any one here ever have an MRI? I am scared! I also have to go through a CT scan. Never had so many tests in my life! Tomorrow is my birthday, oh well.....

:eek:

I am so sorry to hear about your medical problem. I survived Hodgkin's Disease in 2001. I had six months of chemo as well as CT Scans and MRIs. An MRI is not painful. However, you are slid head first into a tube like scanner for about 20 minutes. The machine beeps loudly and you might possibly feel a bit clostrophobic. If you do not like enclosed spaces, then ask your doctor to prescribe a tranquilizer pill such as Ativan for the procedure.

CT Scans are really no problem at all. You drink a chalky, slightly sweet liquid over about 90 minutes prior to the scan. The CT Scanner is an open machine which does not hurt. The CT Scan also should take about 20 minutes.

Best wishes for your treatment and cure.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
CAT scans are very easy. It's like a x-ray, only you are lying down when you have it, and the machine is a doughnut shaped band that goes around your body and moves along the long axis of your body. I have mild claustrophobia and it didn't bother me a bit.

I've never had to drink anything but I have had a dye injected into my veins.

One time I got there are 7:40 for an 8:00 appointment (the first appointment of the day). After changing into a gown, having the iv needle put in, the scan itself, having the needle removed, and changing back again, I was out the door before my official appointment time! Of course, they could be behind schedule, and then you'll have to sit around in a hospital gown reading gossip magazines or chatting with the other patients.

In our province, "older" adults have to have a blood test to test kidney function before they'll schedule the scan.

humbaba

Final Flight
I had a MRI two years ago, and while it wasn't fun, at least it didn't hurt and it's noninvasive. I can see how someone with claustrophobia would find it difficult. I only had to have my head and shoulders in the machine, but even that was a little bit scary. I was given a "panic button" to hold in my hand. Knowing I could press the button at any time and they would get me out, helped me stay calm.

The sounds the machine makes bother some people. I didn't find them bad at all. Just some whirring and thumping, no big deal. Follow the technician's instructions as best you can. Stay as still as you can when they ask you not to move. It will be over quicker that way.

The big payoff was finding out I had a comparatively benign condition and not a brain tumor. Well worth the time I spent in "the tube". I hope everything goes well for you, Ladskater.

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Good luck with the tests... tho they are stressful, it is best to get them over with asap. Tho it is important to deal with the realities and emotions they bring in truth/honesty, such news weighs heavily on the spirit. Try to keep positive even if it is difficult. If possible, schedule something really pleasant around each appointment to counteract the negativity.. take yourself/friend to lunch or window shopping, anything that will lift your spirit. Make your birthday a real celebration doing all your favorite things you really enjoy. All blessings to you and your family.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Thanks. Yes, I am taking Ativan before the MRI. I will be glad when this test is done! Thanks, again for your support.

I am so sorry to hear about your medical problem. I survived Hodgkin's Disease in 2001. I had six months of chemo as well as CT Scans and MRIs. An MRI is not painful. However, you are slid head first into a tube like scanner for about 20 minutes. The machine beeps loudly and you might possibly feel a bit clostrophobic. If you do not like enclosed spaces, then ask your doctor to prescribe a tranquilizer pill such as Ativan for the procedure.

CT Scans are really no problem at all. You drink a chalky, slightly sweet liquid over about 90 minutes prior to the scan. The CT Scanner is an open machine which does not hurt. The CT Scan also should take about 20 minutes.

Best wishes for your treatment and cure.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Good luck with the tests... tho they are stressful, it is best to get them over with asap. Tho it is important to deal with the realities and emotions they bring in truth/honesty, such news weighs heavily on the spirit. Try to keep positive even if it is difficult. If possible, schedule something really pleasant around each appointment to counteract the negativity.. take yourself/friend to lunch or window shopping, anything that will lift your spirit. Make your birthday a real celebration doing all your favorite things you really enjoy. All blessings to you and your family.

Thanks so much for your encouraging words! Yes, I am trying to stay positive. My husband is going to take me for dinner today, that is if the roads are not too bad from our snowfall today!!!

Ladskater

Record Breaker
CAT scans are very easy. It's like a x-ray, only you are lying down when you have it, and the machine is a doughnut shaped band that goes around your body and moves along the long axis of your body. I have mild claustrophobia and it didn't bother me a bit.

I've never had to drink anything but I have had a dye injected into my veins.

One time I got there are 7:40 for an 8:00 appointment (the first appointment of the day). After changing into a gown, having the iv needle put in, the scan itself, having the needle removed, and changing back again, I was out the door before my official appointment time! Of course, they could be behind schedule, and then you'll have to sit around in a hospital gown reading gossip magazines or chatting with the other patients.

In our province, "older" adults have to have a blood test to test kidney function before they'll schedule the scan.

Yes, I had the bone scan and it was not that bad. I had to have the blood test first too. It's the MRI that I am most nervous about. I will be glad to get it over with. Thanks for your support.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
I had a MRI two years ago, and while it wasn't fun, at least it didn't hurt and it's noninvasive. I can see how someone with claustrophobia would find it difficult. I only had to have my head and shoulders in the machine, but even that was a little bit scary. I was given a "panic button" to hold in my hand. Knowing I could press the button at any time and they would get me out, helped me stay calm.

The sounds the machine makes bother some people. I didn't find them bad at all. Just some whirring and thumping, no big deal. Follow the technician's instructions as best you can. Stay as still as you can when they ask you not to move. It will be over quicker that way.

The big payoff was finding out I had a comparatively benign condition and not a brain tumor. Well worth the time I spent in "the tube". I hope everything goes well for you, Ladskater.

Thanks so much. I will be glad to get the MRI over with. I know I can do it. I am taking an Ativan to relax before I go. My husband is going to accompany me. I will try to think about something positive to get me through it. Thanks again.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, the Dr. (surgeon) diagnosed I have a non-aggressive breast cancer, only in the left side of underarm. I had a bone scan this past week and next Tuesday I am going for an MRI - I hear it is not the most pleasant experience.

Where in God's name did you hear it's not a pleasant experience, what medical procedure is??? I had mentioned in one post that my surgeon said that's the only way she takes patients....they tell more than the regular mammogram. Breast MRI's are different than the regular MRI's or at least mine was, did you ask your Doctor about the MRI??

Lad, just put your big girl panties on and have all those tests, they are doing them for a reason. I am grateful I had all of them, my surgeon had the information she needed.

If you are afraid of claustrophopia an "open MRI" is a possibility that many people like better.

But you will have no problem after taking the anti-anxiety medicine either way. The experience will not even be uncomfortable. (But it is good that you will have your husband there to drive you home afterwards. :yes: )

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If you are afraid of claustrophopia an "open MRI" is a possibility that many people like better.

But you will have no problem after taking the anti-anxiety medicine either way. The experience will not even be uncomfortable. (But it is good that you will have your husband there to drive you home afterwards. :yes: )

Ditto. Before my MRI they gave me some sort of anti anxiety drug cause I had my wife to drive me home. After that drug, I was all like, "Yeah, sure...do whatever...I dont care...I am in la la land...." I barely remember anything and I had the best sleep afterwords that I had in months...people say, depending on the machine and where they place you in it, the noise along with the "tube effect" can be hard to take for some people...you can do this!
I read recently that the non-agressive breast cancer, along with the non agressive prostate cancer, is often times treated much too agressively. While I have had a mammogram, I dont much at all about breast cancer. I have been doing lots of research on prostate cancer even though my latest tests are looking fairly good. Many men over 70 who die from accidents are found to have non agressive prostate cancer that will (would have) never killed them. In fact, many Urologists dont even want to FIND non-agressive prostate cancer while looking for the bad stuff as it just creates more problems and worry than its worth.
In your case, as well as mine, knowledge can combat fear. The choices to be made are hard at times but are best made by keeping yourself well informed. Sometimes, there are no "right and wrong" choices...only ones we can live with. I did not enjoy studying for 7 months about prostate cancer, its detection and treatment, but after having done so, I feel I can make the best decisions FOR ME depending on what path the next series of tests take me. YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS!!!!!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I have had a mammogram, I dont much at all about breast cancer.

Chris, I know that men get breast cancer but is it rare and what did you mammogram reveal?? Normally, Breast MRI's are different than the normal MRI's, that's why I urged Ladskater to talk to her doctor about it. I drove myself to get the MRI and drove myself home. I try (not always successful) to use mind control, telling myself it doesn't hurt. I started doing this years ago when I would go to the dentist (I love the topical anesthetic they use now.)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Chris, I know that men get breast cancer but is it rare and what did you mammogram reveal?? Normally, Breast MRI's are different than the normal MRI's, that's why I urged Ladskater to talk to her doctor about it. I drove myself to get the MRI and drove myself home. I try (not always successful) to use mind control, telling myself it doesn't hurt. I started doing this years ago when I would go to the dentist (I love the topical anesthetic they use now.)

Thank you for asking. Yes, there was "no trouble found" as we say in the repair business. ;)
It seems that there is a variety of MRI machines out there and your idea of asking one's doc about how "obnoxious" the specific machine is seems to be a great idea. It may be a piece of cake.
From the time I was 5 or so till I was 18, my dad took me to a dentist who filled my mouth with silver cavitiy fillings without using any anesthetic....I know what fear of pain is.....when I went to college, I found out about novacaine....now, they use topical, novacaine and nitrous.....mind control doesnt work with me....gimme the drugs!