Storage Units - Anybody here ever rent one? | Golden Skate

Storage Units - Anybody here ever rent one?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well, it looks like I am moving in a couple of months! Hubby and I were looking for a house, but it's quite the undertaking. So, I am moving out to Aldergrove to squeeze into his townhouse for the time being. I have to put some stuff in storage for awhile. Since, this is a brand new experience for me, I was wondering if anyone here has had to do this at some point in their life!

megsk8z

On the Ice
Yes, I've rented storage space. They're great for short term, but unless you rent indoor storage (as opposed to those unheated garage-like places) make sure you cover all your stuff as best you can and put plastic on the floor of the unit you rent. It's also a good idea not to put stuff directly on the floor of a unit.......get some plywood and blocks and place your stuff up higher. Those places are full of dust and dirt. And spiders. I put plastic around all my boxes and the dirt still managed to get in to places I didn't know existed.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Thanks for the tips! Spiders? ewww............I hope this storage thing is short term!!!!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
My daughter rented some from time to time. The last one was a metal shed and leaked. When we cleared it out it had ice in it. A lot of it was moldy and had to throw out her new mattress and furniture among a lot of other stuff. Make sure your contract includes something about damages. My daughter was too sick to look for her contract so didn't do anything. Also, one time she had a large picture of her father and me and the picture stuck to the glass and is ruined. Make sure you don't have any candles or anything that melts, etc. in it. Remember, liquid freezes and a lot of things will explode if they get hot. If you can stand it, use lots of moth balls. Spiders, bugs, etc. don't like mothballs. So, when you pack up just think of what heat or cold would do to it. :love: