Davis & White Comeback: Place Your Bets | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Davis & White Comeback: Place Your Bets

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think they are keeping the door open simply cause they don't want to retire and then end up changing their minds.

That said, it seems like they put a lot of energy and work toward the last quad and I think it will come down to whether they want to put in that much work/energy toward a comeback effort instead of other things.

Last edited:

Celine

On the Ice
They have so many reasons to feel completely satisfied, and so much more to look forward to in life. For some, who seem to find no paths to pursue, it seems almost a default/lack of options when they return. I see no basis for regrets or needs in the competitive realm.

Warwick360

Medalist
No need to spread lies or, at best, exaggerate something you heard/read from someone else. While Virtue/Moir spoke about Marina in their post Olympic interview(s) (although not in your words), they did not mention anything about judges cheating them out of their win. Not even one word.

Sure. I conjured up the whole thing in my head. https://youtu.be/hvXS8lO00MU

Don't get me wrong, I still think they're a very talented pair, but if one can't see them trying to stir the pot in that interview then clearly the lies and bias is on the other foot, and that foot isn't mine.:dev2:

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I doubt it. From their Instagram accounts, Charlie is a couple of steps away from becoming a full-fledged suburban soccer mom and Meryl seems quite elated with her Z-list celebrity lifestyle.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sure. I conjured up the whole thing in my head. https://youtu.be/hvXS8lO00MU

Don't get me wrong, I still think they're a very talented pair, but if one can't see them trying to stir the pot in that interview then clearly the lies and bias is on the other foot, and that foot isn't mine.:dev2:

How? By answering a question that they were asked? Because that was a big story in Canada at the time, there were rumours of a deal between the Russian and American feds and the guy who invented the pattern did tweet that they did it better. They didn't bring these things up, all they did was give a somewhat candid answer to the question. Scott says that they were confused by the gap in the team event. Is that your problem with it? Because I don't think that's a huge pot stirring statement. All he said was it was hard because they'd never had that kind of gap with D/W before. Which is true as far as I remember. And he joked that the interviewer could explain the judging system to them in response to a question. And coming from someone who some people on here call Scott No Filter Moir I don't think you can take that to be intentionally doing anything. To be clear, I've never believed that there was some major conspiracy or anything crazy. But honestly, I don't get how this is them trying to stir the pot a lot. Is there a specific thing in there that makes you say that?

Warwick360

Medalist
How? By answering a question that they were asked? Because that was a big story in Canada at the time, there were rumours of a deal between the Russian and American feds and the guy who invented the pattern did tweet that they did it better. They didn't bring these things up, all they did was give a somewhat candid answer to the question. Scott says that they were confused by the gap in the team event. Is that your problem with it? Because I don't think that's a huge pot stirring statement. All he said was it was hard because they'd never had that kind of gap with D/W before. Which is true as far as I remember. And he joked that the interviewer could explain the judging system to them in response to a question. And coming from someone who some people on here call Scott No Filter Moir I don't think you can take that to be intentionally doing anything. To be clear, I've never believed that there was some major conspiracy or anything crazy. But honestly, I don't get how this is them trying to stir the pot a lot. Is there a specific thing in there that makes you say that?

It's the general way how they approached the conversation and the issue. Rather than beating the bush, I'd rather they'd just let their annoyance be known like Plushenko. I for one am not for passive aggressive tactics. Perhaps, you might think I'm wrong on my perception, and perhaps you might be right, but truth be told I'd rather not have this thread be diverted into something else by prolonging this conversation over what I think about them.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think I'm missing something here. Has there been an actual discussion with Charlie or Meryl about making a comeback? I thought we were all just speculating. :confused2:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think I'm missing something here. Has there been actual discussion with Charlie or Meryl about making a comeback? I though we were all just speculating. :confused2:

I did not start the thread, but you are correct that it is just for speculation and opinions, mrrice.

The status quo remains that D/W never officially retired, and that whenever asked or whenever someone erroneously refers to them as retired, they say (I'm paraphrasing) that they have not ruled out the possibility of returning.

AFAIK, they themselves have not been initiating any remarks on their own, b/c they so far have had nothing new to announce one way or the other.

... Perhaps, you might think I'm wrong on my perception, and perhaps you might be right, but truth be told I'd rather not have this thread be diverted into something else by prolonging this conversation over what I think about them.

I agree with not wanting the thread to be diverted.

But you felt free to post inflammatory opinions about V/M on page 1 of the thread.
It's ironic, to say the least, that now you say do not want the thread to be diverted.

Warwick360

Medalist
I agree with not wanting the thread to be diverted.

But you felt free to post inflammatory opinions about V/M on page 1 of the thread.
It's ironic, to say the least, that now you say do not want the thread to be diverted.

So, expressing an opinion is now automatically vitriolic? Did I descend to name calling or false accusation without basing an opinion on something? If I did, then please feel free to point it out specifically, since you went through the trouble of linking my post.

And no, recognising the flow of things and not trying to contribute into something further is not in the least bit ironic.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So, expressing an opinion is now automatically vitriolic? Did I descend to name calling or false accusation without basing an opinion on something? If I did, then please feel free to point it out specifically, since you went through the trouble of linking my post ....

Expressing "an" opinion is not automatically vitriolic.
I was and am characterizing your particular post as inflammatory. It did contain a false accusation, as others already have pointed out.

And no, recognising the flow of things and not trying to contribute into something further is not in the least bit ironic.

Given their inflammatory (IMO) nature, it was inevitable (IMO) that your original and subsequent posts would provoke reactions in the thread.
IMO, your original post was a domino that obviously (IMO) was going to set the ensuing "flow of things" in motion.

Will leave it there in the interest of not further diverting the thread :yes:.

My best wishes to Meryl and Charlie, whatever they ultimately decide to do.

noskates

Record Breaker
No. Just No. And I wish V&M had stayed retired.

Both teams have been fantastic but it's time to let some others have their day in the sun!

Warwick360

Medalist
Expressing "an" opinion is not automatically vitriolic.
I was and am characterizing your particular post as inflammatory. It did contain a false accusation, as others already have pointed out.

Given their inflammatory (IMO) nature, it was inevitable (IMO) that your original and subsequent posts would provoke reactions in the thread.
IMO, your original post was a domino that obviously (IMO) was going to set the ensuing "flow of things" in motion.

Will leave it there in the interest of not further diverting the thread :yes:.

My best wishes to Meryl and Charlie, whatever they ultimately decide to do.

Just like you consider my post to be inflammatory (not sure how and why, still) I think I am completely in my right to state what I infer from the interview. Funny thing is, it is only NOW that it is getting ironic, since you're the one who seems to be constantly egging this on even though I had decided to kill the trajectory of that discussion already. All I did was state what I felt, but unlike you I'm not the one making accusations without basis.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just like you consider my post to be inflammatory (not sure how and why, still) I think I am completely in my right to state what I infer from the interview. Funny thing is, it is only NOW that it is getting ironic, since you're the one who seems to be constantly egging this on even though I had decided to kill the trajectory of that discussion already. All I did was state what I felt, but unlike you I'm not the one making accusations without basis.

I didn't see at all what you did in that interview. If you indeed read something into it that wasn't there, then you actually are the one who is "making accusations without basis." I disagree with you. That is a statement, not an accusation.

And as far as the actual topic of the thread, before you hijacked it, is concerned, I don't expect Davis and White to come back. As other have said, they would have had to come back by now if they intended to make a good showing in the Olympics.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No. Just No. And I wish V&M had stayed retired.

Both teams have been fantastic but it's time to let some others have their day in the sun!

If someone else wants their day in the sun, then they should skate well enough to deserve it. To be the best, beat the best.

That said, if they did return (and do we really have any reason to believe this?) then they would be right back at the top fighting it out with V/M.

I told everyone when they were falling in love with the French that V/M and D/W would wipe the floor with them. I stand by that.

noskates

Record Breaker
If someone else wants their day in the sun, then they should skate well enough to deserve it. To be the best, beat the best.

That said, if they did return (and do we really have any reason to believe this?) then they would be right back at the top fighting it out with V/M.

I told everyone when they were falling in love with the French that V/M and D/W would wipe the floor with them. I stand by that.

I don't totally disagree with you - just think the judges should be on an even playing field with the other competitors. I do think when V/M take to the ice they have that "ohmyGodthey'reOlympicChampions" thing going for them.....People decry "inflation" and other charges that certain people get the benefit of the doubt with the judges - I think that's alive and well where V/M and other retirees who come back to compete are concerned.

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't totally disagree with you - just think the judges should be on an even playing field with the other competitors. I do think when V/M take to the ice they have that "ohmyGodthey'reOlympicChampions" thing going for them.....People decry "inflation" and other charges that certain people get the benefit of the doubt with the judges - I think that's alive and well where V/M and other retirees who come back to compete are concerned.

I actually think the majority of retirees who have come back have struggled. Mao has obviously had technical troubles and, partially as a result of that, doesn't receive PCS higher than the rest of the field, or even at the very top of the field. Does Chan still benefit from inflation? Eh, not really, considering how inflated the marks of all the top men have been. Judges consider him to be right on the Hanyu/Javi level, it seems. (Though maybe below Hanyu, who is at, like, god tier.)

V/M have had the most successful comeback. Their TES is as good if not better than it's ever (maybe they're at an advantage compared to Mao/Chan in that regard, since they don't do jumps). and their connection with one another has gotten stronger, and their programs are obviously resonating with judges/audiences.

P/C would be much closer to them if they were skating to To Build a Home this season, IMO, as both are lyrical dances full of emotion, and that seems to be what resonates with the judges. P/C's FD this seasons seem a little cold compared to V/M. And, well, P/C have never been the world's best SD team. V/M tend to be a strong SD team in general, and their SD this year in particular is a standout.

ETA: And I'm coming from the POV of a D/W fan and now a P/C fan. V/M have never been my #1 favorite team. But this season, they're the best. Though I think by Worlds P/C can close that gap. V/M's FD, IMO, has no more room to peak. That GPF performance was the BEST. P/C's FD still has room to improve.

Last edited:

olayolay

On the Ice
:scratch2:

V/M's FD still has so much more room to grow, IMO. They described their GPF performance as being 'off'.