Olympic Blues | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Olympic Blues

narcissa

Record Breaker
Yes! I was thinking about Peggy's chartreuse dress. Oddly enough I don't think of it as green. Yellow-green, perhaps, but I like the word chartreuse.:laugh: But I don't recall anyone else wearing that shade ever. Also, I wonder whether most tv viewers saw Peggy's dress in color at the time.

Doesn't it resemble Yuna's Send in the Clowns dress? I love that dress :love:

Yes! I was thinking about Peggy's chartreuse dress. Oddly enough I don't think of it as green. Yellow-green, perhaps, but I like the word chartreuse.:laugh: But I don't recall anyone else wearing that shade ever. Also, I wonder whether most tv viewers saw Peggy's dress in color at the time.

Peggy Fleming's mother made Peggy's dress in that color to honor the Grande Chartreuse Monestary near Grenoble, where the Olympics was held that year. The monks make and sell a liqueur which is that distinctive yellow-green color.

I think she hoped to get a few extra points from the French judge. :) Anyway, that striking green dress brought a lot of publicity to the Winter Olympics.

jcoates

Medalist
Here are some more.

76 FD Pakhamova & Gorshkov; O'Connor & Millns
80 FD Linichuk & Karponosov
88 FS Botiano
94 FS Sato

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doesn't it resemble Yuna's Send in the Clowns dress? I love that dress :love:

Yuna's dress is too yellow to be chartreuse, in my opinion, although there's a very slight greenish tinge. Wiki says there's green chartreuse and yellow chartreuse; but the yellow chartreuse doesn't look like Yuna's dress either. :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Peggy Fleming's mother made Peggy's dress in that color to honor the Grande Chartreuse Monestary near Grenoble, where the Olympics was held that year. The monks make and sell a liqueur which is that distinctive yellow-green color.

I think she hoped to get a few extra points from the French judge. :) Anyway, that striking green dress brought a lot of publicity to the Winter Olympics.

I'm glad you mentioned that; I was also thinking about how cool it was that her mother decided to honor the location by sewing that costume. I looked on you tube just now to compare the color with Yuna's dress. I hadn't realized Peggy wore a different dress for US Nats that year. It's another in-between color: orangish-pink! Sounds awful, but the distinctive shades really worked for her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdPKgg8SGys

keasus

On the Ice
I'm glad you mentioned that; I was also thinking about how cool it was that her mother decided to honor the location by sewing that costume. I looked on you tube just now to compare the color with Yuna's dress. I hadn't realized Peggy wore a different dress for US Nats that year. It's another in-between color: orangish-pink! Sounds awful, but the distinctive shades really worked for her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdPKgg8SGys

Peggy's homemade costumes still look chic and stylish today. And I don't think anyone could cut and drape a better skating skirt than Mrs. Fleming. Peggy was the Jackie Kennedy of skating.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A commentator for G&G in the 80s said figure skaters never wear green because it's considered figure skating bad luck. Since viewing that video a few years ago, I've rarely seen green figure skating costumes, with the exception of when skaters are performing to Riverdance. Mai Mihara's pastel green LP dress to Cinderella, Lavender's Green, is heavenly as well.

The commentator was Toller Cranston who said among other things green is unlucky and usually falls down. Here is a link to his comments during a rare G & G meltdown (note Cranstons comments at the end about meltdowns like this usually happening only once a career).

https://youtu.be/NcbHonxvC9E

Last edited:

formersk8ter

On the Ice
A commentator for G&G in the 80s said figure skaters never wear green because it's considered figure skating bad luck. Since viewing that video a few years ago, I've rarely seen green figure skating costumes, with the exception of when skaters are performing to Riverdance. Mai Mihara's pastel green LP dress to Cinderella, Lavender's Green, is heavenly as well.

I wish that would change: green is my favorite color and I love the way it looks against the ice.

Erin S

Rinkside
I want to thank skylark and labgoat for resolving a mystery for me I've actually wondered about. I am enough of a skating nerd that I was thinking earlier this year how odd it was that there were so few green skating dresses. (Green is my favorite color and when I design costumes for the programs I skate in my mind, they're often green!). The only three I could think of among ladies single skaters were Peggy's, Kira's absolutely gorgeous one, and a dress Nancy Kerrigan wore for Riverdance in a pro event. I thought it was really strange and it's so cool to realize there's actually a reason for that! on the subject of Peggy's, I've always kind of thought her dress influenced Nancy's 1992 SP dress (also worn in France) and Yuna's beautiful 2014 SP dress. Those three have always seemed similar to me, though when I actually compare them it's clear Peggy's was actually green whereas the other two are yellow chartreuse. I love that skating fans have enough institutional knowledge that this is a conversation we can have. :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Peggy's homemade costumes still look chic and stylish today. And I don't think anyone could cut and drape a better skating skirt than Mrs. Fleming. Peggy was the Jackie Kennedy of skating.

Mrs. Fleming was quite the designer and seamstress. And even more than that, she put thought, creativity and research into her creations. Peggy's skating itself was elegant and graceful, but the dresses were the icing on the cake.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The commentator was Toller Cranston who said among other things green is unlucky and usually falls down. Here is a link to his comments during a rare G & G meltdown (note Cranstons comments at the end about meltdowns like this usually happening only once a career).

https://youtu.be/NcbHonxvC9E

:rofl: oh goodness me. I have tears in my eyes from laughing at Toller's commentary! thank you, labgoat!

"There's a superstition in figure skating. Green is said to be unlucky. I've never worn it, and I sure wouldn't, because I'd be afraid to wear it."

"... a small glitch in the footwork.... Another mistake!" [in the death spiral!]

" ... too many mistakes. Of course, it has nothing to do with wearing green."

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I want to thank skylark and labgoat for resolving a mystery for me I've actually wondered about. I am enough of a skating nerd that I was thinking earlier this year how odd it was that there were so few green skating dresses. (Green is my favorite color and when I design costumes for the programs I skate in my mind, they're often green!). The only three I could think of among ladies single skaters were Peggy's, Kira's absolutely gorgeous one, and a dress Nancy Kerrigan wore for Riverdance in a pro event. I thought it was really strange and it's so cool to realize there's actually a reason for that! on the subject of Peggy's, I've always kind of thought her dress influenced Nancy's 1992 SP dress (also worn in France) and Yuna's beautiful 2014 SP dress. Those three have always seemed similar to me, though when I actually compare them it's clear Peggy's was actually green whereas the other two are yellow chartreuse. I love that skating fans have enough institutional knowledge that this is a conversation we can have. :)

I think it has not only to do with the bad luck, there are some colours that are found not fashionable on figure skating and are rarely used. I don't see orange, yellow, green or grey dresses very often. Sometimes there is an exception, but when you compare the number of these colours to the blue, purple, white, black etc. colours, the winner is clear.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Mrs. Fleming was quite the designer and seamstress. And even more than that, she put thought, creativity and research into her creations. Peggy's skating itself was elegant and graceful, but the dresses were the icing on the cake.

Her costumes she wore at US Nationals in 1968 and then at the Olympics were both gorgeous, and in addition I also liked her hairstyle and make-up, too, which made her look even more graceful and elegant. Maybe I am a bit biased because it has something to do with the fact that I love 1960s fashion (especially the second half of the decade) :) I don't think anyone looked better than her in the next two decades.

Back to the 00s, I always thought that Adelina Sotnikova's LP costume in Sochi was grey, but I know that the colours of the costumes look slightly different in real life than in television and on pictures. On the other hand Kostner's costume was dark blue, even if sometimes it looked black. If you compare it to Yuna Kim's costume which was really black, then you can see the difference.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Hmm, I think Sotnikova's dress was grey and Kostner's was black. The lighting makes Kostner's dress look lighter, but it's not blue like Gordeeva and Grinkov's midnight blue outfits.

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
I knew about green since I watched that CBC broadcast of Europeans with Toller Cranston commentating on G/G, and have it on tape, but I thought blue was chosen for the Olympics because it looked best on television.... and obviously that is not just for figure skating ...

Weathergal

Medalist
I think it has not only to do with the bad luck, there are some colours that are found not fashionable on figure skating and are rarely used. I don't see orange, yellow, green or grey dresses very often. Sometimes there is an exception, but when you compare the number of these colours to the blue, purple, white, black etc. colours, the winner is clear.

Lots of gray dresses if you're a ice dancer with Dubreil / Lauzon this year--Virtue, Hubbell, and Papaakis are all wearing a shade of it in their FD.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Kristi Yamaguchi wore a blue dress for her '92 olympic SP to Blue Danube.

Blue is the most heavenly color, so it makes gorgeous sense for lofty aspirations. Olympic year or not. Gordeeva and Grinkov wore ice blue in 1988, but I prefer Denney and Frazier's medium royal shade in 2016-17.

Was Kristi's dress really blue? I'm actually doing that research :)laugh:) but it just seems to me it's green?

Edit: Godamm, kt's really blue! :laugh2: The quality of the videos are not good enough, I need to do this whole thing again I guess :laugh:

Last edited: