Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hughes reporting Olympic events for CBS 2 in NY

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Good for Sarah! Thanks for the info.

She actually appeared in the NYC Channel2 CBS 5pm News. She looked nice but spoke yet like a little girl. Voice coaches can deepen her voice. However, and unfortunately, she read the fluff piece on Michael Phelps without any pizzaz.

Phelps has the burden of winning the same number of medals as Spitz. Not easy. He will be the STAR of this Olympics if he wins 7 medals and there is talk of 8.. Sarah did not get into the drama which is unfolding., but she's in a position to improve. She has many chances before going back to school.

Joe

Down With It
    She is a sweetheart , not arrogant or boastful,
    Really? Have you met her before? Or talked to her or something like that? (Not trying to be confrontational or anything, I am simply curious as to why you say so)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Really? Have you met her before? Or talked to her or something like that? (Not trying to be confrontational or anything, I am simply curious as to why you say so)
    Hmmm... That does actually sound a bit confrontational... I'm with Joe... I always got the feeling with Sarah that what you see is what you get. In other words, she is what you see: a nice girl.

Down With It
    I've never watched Hughes as a eligible skater before the olympics, so I really didn't/don't know her personality. I was just curious as to whether she really was nice, or just simply came across as a nice person from interviews, etc. Sorry if I offended anyone.

No offense taken on my part, Dog. I do not know Sarah personally, or any other elite skater. For me, figure skating is my retreat into never-never land where everybody is sweet and nice.

Mathman

Custom Title
    LOL...skating is like that for me too, Mathman. I like to imagine everyone is sweet as sugar....it makes it easier to root for them. But, seeing that most of us only know Sarah from interviews, news reports, etc. I can't see how she could be viewed as anything but a nice, down-to-earth girl. We have no evidence that would indicate she isn't a sweetheart.

Down With It
    We have no evidence that would indicate she isn't a sweetheart.
    I think there were some not-so-flattering rumours circulating concerning SH after her win at the Olympics (I use this word because I don't think there were confirmations) ...I forgot most of them, but I think one was about SH and COI (her wanting/demanding the spotlight, some negative comments from her, etc.) and she took a lot of heat from some people for that. Another was I think at some skating event where she blew off some people wanting autographs (maybe she had somewhere to go or something). Again, I say rumours because I don't know if these are true or not, but that said, I would venture to agree with you all and assume that she is very "down-to-earth" and approachable.

Down With It
    Can anyone in NYC give us a sort of report on her stories? I'd be curious to know...

Can anyone in NYC give us a sort of report on her stories? I'd be curious to know...
    I did just that yesterday, Reddog. It's 7 or 8 posts above this. Michael Phelps may be the American Hero by the end of the Swimming Events. Sarah is indeed a nice girl but she didn't get the drama involved in that. She willl eventually. Delivery is everything in Broadcasting. It's not for everyone. Give her a chance.

Joe

Down With It
    OK, I see your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    She actually appeared in the NYC Channel2 CBS 5pm News. She looked nice but spoke yet like a little girl. Voice coaches can deepen her voice. However, and unfortunately, she read the fluff piece on Michael Phelps without any pizzaz.

Phelps has the burden of winning the same number of medals as Spitz. Not easy. He will be the STAR of this Olympics if he wins 7 medals and there is talk of 8.. Sarah did not get into the drama which is unfolding., but she's in a position to improve. She has many chances before going back to school.

Joe
    Interesting. Her specialty isn't broadcasting/reporting, so I wouldn't expect her to deliver like a pro on the first attempt. But it sounds like she did a good job, considering what she is covering. Does she have correspondents or is she the only one reporting on the Olympics?

ETA: MM- I just saw your post count...2006...hmm...is that a sign of anything to come?
    Last edited by R.D.; 08-06-2004 at 08:01 PM.

I think there were some not-so-flattering rumours circulating concerning SH after her win at the Olympics (I use this word because I don't think there were confirmations) ...I forgot most of them, but I think one was about SH and COI (her wanting/demanding the spotlight, some negative comments from her, etc.)
    Here is a discussion from the USFSA site about the problems that Sarah and her dad had with the 2003 COI tour.

http://board.usfigureskating.org/def...0&LastTopic=79

As I remember the flap about the 2002 tour, it wasn't so much Sarah as Alexei Yagudin. IIRC, Sarah was the headliner (i.e, the last to skate) at all of the shows that she participated in. THe last part of the tour, sarah dropped out to concentrate on the new season, and Michelle was given the favored spot. Yagudin gave an interview to a Russian publication grousing about the fact that he, not Michelle, was the Olympic champion, and he felt that he had been dissed by Tom Collins. (Yagudin and Collins has "issues" anyway, LOL.)

About singing autographs, I think Kristi (one of the most universally loved skaters of all time) has the reputation that if she agrees to be available to sign autographs for 1 hour, that means 60 minutes and you better not come late, LOL.

Mathman

Down With It
    Ah, here it is...someone's post from that board:

I believe that part of the problem was that the Hugheses expected Sarah to be the headliner on the Tour, as she had been after the Olympic season. Collins did not want to commit to that, and that became an "unresolved issue". Another issue might have been the per-show rate. The $300,000 Sarah signed for in COI 2002 was for 30 shows at $10,000/show. Maybe Collins wanted Sarah to do more than 30 shows for COI 2003 with the same payout, which would have meant a lower per-show rate.

I recall that after the Olympics, Collins wanted to sign Sale/Pelletier, but they were demanding $25,000/show, and Collins refused to negotiate with them, saying that was far more than headliner Hughes was making.
    There was a much longer thread on another forum that was much nastier than this one...people were quick to jump on Sarah for this mishap.

"COI is like a big, happy family. No one is more important than anyone else, no one gets any special favors, and all the performers are stars of equal magnitude.

"But Michelle skates last."

Custom Title
    I'm "Gifted but Modest" (hint-hint) on FSU
    All that stuff about Sarah wanting the spotlight, more money, whatever, was never credible. I think the last thing she wanted to do in the spring of 03 was skate. She wanted out of touring to enjoy her last few months of high school. But of course some haters back then had to turn it into all that nasty gossip which unfortunately keeps getting repeated.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast