Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hughes reporting Olympic events for CBS 2 in NY

I will be in New York (NYC and Long Island) visiting family during most of the Olympics - I hope I get to see Sarah (on tv, duh)!

guinevere

That was a nice article on Sarah, but I am surprised that she was picked for the summer Olympics........wouldn't her expertise be skating and the winter Olympics? Usually, when doing "color commentating", past champs and participants are plugged into the sport they participated in, a sport they have experienced. Who would want Bruce Jenner covering synchronized swimming? 42

Custom Title
    Sarah isn't doing 'commentary'. She's REPORTING. Big difference.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    chuckm's right, and all I can say is she can't be do any worst than Kennedy. :(

Yep, big difference I guess, but she's still in front of the camera "reporting" on a sport I assume she knows less about than skating........oh well, if Terry Gannon can do it, I guess.............42

Custom Title
    I'm "Gifted but Modest" (hint-hint) on FSU
    When did Bob Costas play baseball? When did Phil Hersh and Christine Brennan skate? Many commentators, reporters and TV hosts have never played *any* sport at a high level, let alone the one they're covering. Tune in to a hockey, football or basketball game. At least one of the commentators is a pro broadcaster who wasn't an athlete; the other *might* be a jock who played that sport. And I can't think of any print sportswriters who played pro sports.
    I've also read that for these Games NBC is using many athletes to commentate on sports they have an interest in but is not their primary sport.
    So, as I've said, this "local" reporting gig is an excellent first broadcasting experience for Sarah that could lead to other (network) opportunities, if she's interested. In the meantime, she gets to have a great experience in Athens, as a followup to her great experience in SLC. If she wasn't such a nice person, I'd be jealous. :D (As it is, I'm happy for her.)

My point is, why the "summer" games and not the "winter" games. It seems at least they could plug her into the event she has credentials for. Bob, Phil, and Christine, I am guessing, didn't do reporting for such a big event when they were nineteen.......but then again, they didn't have an Oly medal either.... :D 42

Custom Title
    Sarah is working for CBS, not for NBC, which is actually presenting the Games. So there is no chance whatsoever that she'll do any commentating. She will READ competition results and perhaps human interest stories about some of the athletes, that's all.

She may be hoping that this experience will yield an offer from NBC to do commentary for Torino.

She may be hoping that this experience will yield an offer from NBC to do commentary for Torino.
    Thanks euterpe.........that's makes more sense..........42

Lots of comments on this thread. Let me join in with 2 more cents.

Terry has learned skating over the years as much a many posters have who have never skated in competition. Hi purpose on reporting is to represent the uninformed with his sometimes awkward comments and his questions. I think he could spot the different jumps and certainly the air rototations. Not unlike others who have never skated competitions.

Sarah looks to me as though she is reading copy. I haven't seen or heard any off the cuff remarks from her. When reading copy one must develop good delivery. or the writer will be furious. At least that is the way it is taught in Media Journaslism 102. It takes time to develop good delivery. Barbara Walters had a tough time reading the news unless she wrote it herself. So she left the anchor post and went into interviewing.

I doubt this will lead Sarah to the Olys because I believe NBC has the Olys. Am I correct?

Joe

Down With It
    I doubt this will lead Sarah to the Olys because I believe NBC has the Olys. Am I correct?
    I believe you are, although I'm not 100% sure. I've heard people saying that they have them until 2008 or something.

OT, speaking of Terry Gannon, did you catch him doing the British open golf tournament a couple of weeks ago? I think the networks have their announcers under annual contract, so they try to use them in the off season whenever possible.

IIRC Gannon's own sport, that he played in college, was basketball.

Mathman

Custom Title
    I'm "Gifted but Modest" (hint-hint) on FSU
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    As I understand it, this contract is just for this Games. So she would be free to work with another broadcast organization in the future.

Custom Title
    Nonsense again! Where has it been stated AS FACT that Sarah knows nothing about the things she has reported on? It sounds like a bunch of sour grapes to me.
    Sorry that Kwan and Cohen weren't available to represent, but they're too busy training for the upcoming season. Sorry that Irina or Shizuka weren't able to report, but they're from Russia and Japan respectfully, and would be reporting for their own countries.
    Why being so petty? Would you all rather have Tara? Was there this much fuss when she was doing some work during SLC?
    Sarah has done a wonderful job. Leave her alone!

Well, speaking for myself, I would feel exactly the same if Michelle or Sasha were reporting. They are all lovely ladies, but putting them into a reporting situation just because they are medal winners isn't a sure thing for a successful reporting job. I don't think any of these ladies are articulate enough at this stage in their lives to do lengthy reporting.............interviews or giving speeches before live audiences is one thing..........reporting on a sporting event at the Olympics is a whole different ball of wax............no sour grapes here. Just because I like to watch a skater doing what they do best, doesn't mean I want to hear them reporting. Sarah gets kudos in my book for at least trying this gig, though................42

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast